Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone help me with irish history??!

Options
  • 31-05-2007 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hello..

I'm fairly worried about the history exam but mostly the later irish section,we rushed through it and it all went over my head. can ANYONE tell me if you were writing an essay on the aims of the irish delegation for the treaty, what paragraphs could you come up with for discussing ''to what extent did they achieve their aims??''

any help seriously appreciated......:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Hey, i know where you're coming from! we actually spent ages doing the Treaty/Civil War/War of Independance/Easter Rising and i still dont get it. thats why im just doing all of Cumann na nGaedhael (omg really need to learn how to spell this) and Fianna Fail, Northern Ireland Unionist Party, Eucharistic Congress, and rise of sinn fein. there is not a hope in hell i wont have a question from that list. they have to give u a question on CNG/FF, its too big a part of the course. My grind tippd De Valera's Anglo Irish Policy and Eucharistic Congress. sorry cant help u with the Treaty tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

i think my teacher gave us like a sample essay or an essay plan for that last year or somethin so i'll see if i can find it and post it 2moro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

that would help soo much thank you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sometime, most likely tomorrow, I have an essay done, entitled: "To what extent did the delegates achieve their aims in the ....". Its the one your on about anyway.

Off the top of my head, go through the Treaty, and use a paragraph on most points, and say they didnt achieve it, so it was to very little extent. Think: the Treaty ports, Boundary Commission, any other aspects of the Treaty really. I'm gonna be studying it more tomorrow anyway. Think I got 75-80% in the test of the essay anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I had that essay in a test and got 87%.

No idea where the paper is though....

They essentially didn't achieve any of their aims but got a treaty offering more than Britain had ever offered before.

• Advertisement

Ok, have the essay here, only got 73%, but then again, only did 7 paragraphs, so I suppose I coulda got a bit more.

Role of delegates(plenipotentiaries)
    External Association-not achieved
    Partition
    Treaty Ports
    Oath of Allegiance

They were the 5 main points in my paragraphs. dont forget there can also be:

Governor-General
    I'm sure theres something else too. Anyone wanna clarify? Easy enough essay as they didnt actually achieve their aims too much

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hurrah!Just got all of the irish history in the course covered in a big massive cramming section that lasted from about 10 this morning till 2 or so.Now onto European history, which is thankfully far more interesting (plus theres less of it!).

ALL of it? Fair play. I'm annoyingly slow learning history. I've been covering Irish history for the last few days. That said, I never made notes on it or studied it properly before. Revising the other topics will hopefully be a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Oh no, I hate Irish History, I've only looked at case studies so far!

Irish history is all over the place compared to European history IMO. Bit more complicated cos of it too. Although at least a few things can come up in 5 or 6 different essay titles, thats the plus side of it.

• Advertisement

The book I have is a bit vague in places, especially in defining what consisted of the government during the provisional period, and it doesn't clearly explain why the Collins/de Valera pact was called off. The internet has helped me to a certain extent, but I have a bit of a blurred understanding of some parts.

^^Which book do you have? I have the Edco one I think, the green version. That provisional govt. bit is a bit vague alright

I've the folen's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Damn sovereignty and partition. Oh well, at least its not as heavy going as Movements for Reform. I think we all saved a fortune on sleeping pills with that pile of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

yeah i lost the essay i had done on that cos im the most disorganised person in the world....im gonna make a complete mess of everythin to do with irish history....stupid confusing country...

Advertisement