Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post neutered cat

Options
  • 31-05-2007 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

My male cat (6 months old) is going in for for his neutering next week.
    Before he goes in for the chop I'm wondering how will it affect him?

What are post-neutered cats like?
    Does their temprament change?
    Do they notice the absence of their testes?
    Is there a physcological impact if so?

My wife cant wait for this as he's starting to sexually harass our other cat (spayed female) no end.
    But as the man of the house I cant help feel saddened by his impending "loss" ;)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I always think its the man of the house who suffers the most when a pet is neutered....:)

Your cat will be the same lovely cat, albeit without the annoying sexual behaviour...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

That's what I'm hoping will happen our cat (3 and a half yrs old), who had the operation done on Monday of this week. He's calmed down a bit but is still making many visits to the front door, day & night, begging quite loudly to be let outdoors ( My father-in-law is beginning to wonder if the vet did the procedure at all!! :p ). Is this normal? Thing is we can't let him out til Saturday at the earliest, as he has to complete the dosage of pills prescribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It takes a few weeks for the hormones to settle down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They should be much calmer and less likely to run away (or to get outside). They will notice that they had surgery or might lick at the area but they don't see things like we would. "Zomg me testes are gone!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Over in sicko-land you can even get artificial testicles implanted...both for cats and dogs.

Obviously NOT for the benefit of the animal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

peasant wrote:
    Over in sicko-land you can even get artificial testicles implanted...both for cats and dogs.

ahahahahahahaha we got our dog done today and we were messing about getting prosthesis fitted, cant believe there is such a thing - people are MAD :D

As for the cat, both our males are done and i have had females in the past that we got done also, the only change we noticed was that they became friendlier and more kittenish as in they play more.

One of our males was a great hunter before and still is (pity he cant keep his stupid catch down tho!) he loves the outdoors and wont stay in so none of that has been affected, just that hes more likely now to come for rubs, the other guy came to us neutered so dont know if there was any change in him.

As kids we had a male cat and he legged it, he wasnt neutered, this could have been to chase the girlies or could have been to get away from us girlies who just wanted to sqweeze him and give him hugs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Jotter wrote:
    One of our males was a great hunter before and still is (pity he cant keep his stupid catch down tho!) he loves the outdoors and wont stay in so none of that has been affected, just that hes more likely now to come for rubs

Now, that statement worries me! :eek:

I was under the impression that neutering significantly reduces (a) the cats urge to seek out a female for mating, and (b) the cats urge to roam & be away from home (I'm not expecting him to be home 24/7, just a fair amount of the time). Am I wrong? My girlfriend also discovered through the net that cats who have had experience of the mating game tend to take significantly longer to leave that extinct behind, post-neutering. If that's the case, my father-in-law will be driven mad what with all that meeeoooowing!

Anyone got personal experiences with regard to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

What i ment by that is that it wont affect the cats personality, if it enjoys the outdoors it still will, if it enjoyed hunting it still will. My cat comes in around 5 am for grub, heads back out, kills stuff, comes home around noon lies in for a few hours, gets a rub, heads out again in the afternoon, comes back for evening grub and is gone then for most of the nite. Hes not roaming for females hes just hunting and being the lion about town !!! He was like this before just now hes more affectionate towards us, which is a good thing!

get your cat neutered, by not doing it you are allowing your cat to impregnate all around him and theres so many cats that are unwanted and drowned etc as a result. Any change in personality will be for the better, trust me, ive had 6 cats in my life, 4 neutered and in my experience a neutered cat is a happy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭gipi

Neutered (male) cats are less likely to get into fights with stray toms, which reduces the likelihood of them getting all sorts of nasty diseases - e.g. feline leukemia or feline AIDS.

I neutered my mog at 6 months, before he realised what his bits were for :) and his personality didn't change a bit - he's still the same lovable mog (at 8 years old now) that he was at 3 months (altogether now....aahh!).

He also lost the ability to spray - although I've heard of neutered cats who can still do this - which is a big bonus!

Advertisement