Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer/ Evening Courses Gaiety/ Abbey

Options
  • 31-05-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I wonder if any body has any experience of the summer/ evening courses in either the Gaiety or Abbey.

I'm mostly looking at the Acting for Camera week long summer course in the Gaiety.

I'm involved with an amateur drama group (a pretty damn good one ;)) but I'm always looking to learn more and am wondering if this course would be suitable.

I'd really appreciate any help any one could provide.
    Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095897

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103372

have some comments. The Gaiety courses have a great reputation, I know some people on their part-time courses and they rave about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Missydoll_29

Hi ,

I am really keen to join a Drama Group in Dublin. Can anyone suggest a good Drama group to join? Oh by the way I did a course in the Gaeity years ago called 'Introduction to Drama for adults' which was brill, yeah I would recommend it! :p

Contact the DLI (drama league of Ireland) for info on local groups. I think their website is www.dli.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

Hi ay cee,
    I did intro to drama and page to stage which I thought were both fantastic. had been doing drama for 10 years but still learnt so much. really good teachers and fun activities. Every week I was on such a high because it was so enjoyable.

I completed acting for camera a few months ago, It was completely different. First of all Im used to stage acting so I found it really difficult to get used to the skills, I didn't find the teacher to be helpful at all. He kept us there until about half 10 on a Friday night and I didnt come away with anything new. So I would definately recommend intro to drama and page to stage but if you really enjoy acting I wouldn't recommend acting for camera. WASTE OF MONEY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Hey Scut,
    What was the name of the instructor?
    I did it last summer and didn't think a whole lot of it either I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

can't remember his name but he was american and loved talkin about himself

With the summer coming up and people thinking about something to do to hone their skills. I thought I'd fill in more details about the Acting For Camera course I did in the Gaeity last summer. First of all, if you have any acting skills and know a few things about film, don't waste your money! That's exactly what I did.

The course ran for a couple of hours each evening. The first day was spent every one saying who they were and the instructor saying who he was, then proceeding to explain on a film set who every one is and what they do. This would be useful for someone who knew nothing about film before.

The instructor was late most days. Then he would come in and give everyone a situation and we had to improv our way through it. We would be left alone for 15 - 30 minutes to prepare this. Then once every one had done their pieces, there was little time left to do much else.

We were given scenes to act out from popular movie scripts as the week progressed. Mid week the instructor arrived late, said he was not feeling well and took off after an hour, leaving us to "work on our scripts". The last day then we finished early so we could all head to the pub and discuss how we thought it all went.

For the record, the instructor was not even an actor!

There was nothing on this course that could be put to any real practical use. Nothing technical, nothing for new people about hitting marks, adjusting performance depending on camera shot.

My advice, save your money and don't go near this "course" if you have any acting experience.

Do go near it if you know absolutely nothing about film and would like to see yourself on screen at the end of the week.

I know the guy giving this year's course and he's one of the best. Horses for courses and all that!

Obviously not the same person then.

Advertisement