Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hedge and the chainsaw

Options
  • 31-05-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All,

My hedge is alot taller than I'd like it to be. Usually using a hedge trimmer would get rid of the recent growth, but the main shape would still be there. It's about 5ft tall, and Id like to take a foot and half of the height.

I dont think my trimmer would be powerfull enough to cut through the branches, so I'm thinking of using a chainsaw to do the job. Is this a mad idea? :confused: I know the hedge would look pretty bare afterwards but wouldn't it grow leaves back?

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A chainsaw might be a bit too powerful. You can hire a hedge trimmer for a day at very little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I already have a hedge trimmer. ;) I was hoping a cheap chainsaw would go through the hedge like butter!:D

LK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of hedge is it? some types won't grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I was hoping a cheap chainsaw would go through the hedge like butter
    Through yourself too. Chainsaws are for logging with your feet firmly on the ground not for stretching at akward angles cutting flimsy hedging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I meant a slightly more powerful trimmer than what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

The problem with using a chainsaw in something like a hedge is that the hedge will flex too much, wouldn't cut clean and get caught in the chain, you need something solid for the saw to press against whilst operating and of course there is the safety aspect as previously mentioned. You would be better off cutting the main (thick) branches first to the height you want the hedge, then you can use your hedge trimmer to cut the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Fair enough, there is a safety issue using a chain saw, and that it won't be as effective against loose branches. I'll look into renting a more powerful trimmer. I did rent a petrol trimmer before, but it still seemed too slow getting through the hedge.

P.S. The hedge does grow normally. (Too much in my opinion!)

LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I use a shears for cutting and shaping or reducing the height of my hedges. It's your only man for safety and accuracy - and a work out.

Advertisement