Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography 2007 predictions.

Options
  • 31-05-2007 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Phsical:landforms...isotatic processes...sketch map of drainage
    Regional:Economic Challenge.....development of one region...an economic activity

Has any one any predictions for culture and identity?????????
    me thinks languge as a cultural indicator or a distinctive region based on identity.

Please Help Im Sooooooooo SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well, rock cycle...volcanoes maybe..rivers..some sort of tectonics...

Language is tipped for culture- woohoo! Easier than religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

How do you answer sketchmap of drainage q? i'm slightly lost on what to put into the sketchmap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

How do you answer sketchmap of drainage q? i'm slightly lost on what to put into the sketchmap.

First draw a frame.then put in features.put a title on the map like OS CARLOW. then draw a key and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

tell me if im stupid but for physical question im just learning rock cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

regob wrote:
    tell me if im stupid but for physical question im just learning rock cycle.

you'd want to go over plate tectonics tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i always thought that plate tectonics and the rock cycle would come up as two differnt questions. im going to learn plate tectonics anyways.

anybody regret doing this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Boger!!! :D

I predict secondary activities of a European core region (not really I just wanted to type this out).

The Paris Basin

The Paris Basin is a European core region, and the city of Paris dominates French manufacturing. The Paris Basin is the most important manufacturing region in France and it employs 16% of the workforce. There are many growth industries such as chemicals and manufacturing. The region accounts for 27% of all French manufacturing, though part of the Paris Basin is regarded as a region of deindustrialistion as traditional manufacturing industries decline such as textiles, iron and steel.

-Energy is one of the major inputs in this region and nearly all energy has to be imported from outside the region. Oil is imported from Norway, the Middle East and North Africa. The oil for Paris is distributed from Le Harve through pipelines that flow through the city. Most of the electricity is from nuclear power stations such as the coast, Penly, and the south and East, Nogent, of Paris.
    -Transport is another major input. Paris is the hub of the French motorway system and it is connected to all major French cities and to Belgium, Germany and Italy. Many flexible good are exported and imported by truck on the roads. Electric railways also connect Paris to European Countrys like Italy, Germany and even to England via the Channel Tunnel. This is extremely useful for transporting goods in and out of the country.

Paris has a long tradition of manufacturing and most of the region has adapted to the changes needed for modern manufacturing. There is a large work force for labour intensive industries. This includes foreign workers that come looking for jobs. A highly skilled labour force is needed for many electronic and engineering jobs and 36% of Frances 3rd level institutions are based in the Paris Basin.

Le Havre-Rouen area has had a great increase in oil refining, chemical and electrical good. The Orleans Tours region has had a great growth in high tech industries, and the Reim-Troyes area depends on traditional manufacturing industries such as textiles and food processing.

Man I didn't go to bed yet, I hate when I can't sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

I studied South west America and can't find of any economic challenges?

:(
    magher wrote:
    I studied South west America and can't find of any economic challenges?

an economic challenge is eg in the BMW an overdependance on agri...or maybe the **** services...basically anything that is a problem facing the econony.u need to pile all the info into an answer urself.it is defo gonna come up mark my words....

also do one for india which cud be an overdependance on agri also or a challenge cud be the rural to urban migration and use calcutta as a case study for the negative effects.
    a challenge facing the mezz cud be having to modernaise agri...of elseattracting industry to the region.look up the sample answers on www.e-xamit.ie with ur exam papers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

All i say is Global Warming better come up for the option!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Hey just a quick question. we did geoecology and culture and identity. iv done characteristics of a biome and human interaction, but i was going to do language as a cultural indicator in culture and identity too just to be safe. would you lay out the answer 1) english 2) irish 3) welsh, we didnt spend very much time doing it. also, im doing the cool temperate biome and for the characteristics i have a paragraph on the forests and deforestation, is it ok to put it in there or do i have to stick with climate, flora, fauna etc.? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

blondie07 wrote:
    im doing the cool temperate biome and for the characteristics i have a paragraph on the forests and deforestation, is it ok to put it in there or do i have to stick with climate, flora, fauna etc.? thanks!

you can do it...according to my teacher. do you think it is ok to link in climate and location, and flora and fauna?
    the characteristics of a biome im doing are:
    1. Soils
    2. Climate and location
    3. Flora and fauna
    4. Forest clearance and replacement

sternn wrote:
    you can do it...according to my teacher. do you think it is ok to link in climate and location, and flora and fauna?
    1. Soils
    2. Climate and location
    3. Flora and fauna

Thats what im doing. think it'll be fine. and actually, i dont see why u couldnt put in forest clearance, i realise it is human interaction but it is still a characteristic and there's nothing to say u cant put it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Eh, charachteristics will not be coming up, like its 99 per cent certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

sternn wrote:
    1. Soils
    2. Climate and location
    3. Flora and fauna

Ehh whats this all about....what q that??

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

c'mon factors affecting soil characteristics for geoecology!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Eh, charachteristics will not be coming up, like its 99 per cent certain.

99% certain? Please expand that.

Shocking for you isn't it? Yes I once had dreams of writing happily about fauna and vegetation etc. in the exam but then I unearthed something morbid(Used this in my essay) That question was up last year and is not widely expected, however if it was it would be a beutiful suprise.

Shocking for you isn't it? Yes I once had dreams of writing happily about fauna and vegetation etc. in the exam but then I unearthed something morbid(Used this in my essay) That question was up last year and is not widely expected, however if it was it would be a beutiful suprise.

Human activity was also up last year, its a toss up between them both for repitition this year surely?

You may be correct but I think that the question this year on biomes will be as follows

3. HOW do Humans impact on biomeS

• Advertisement

What is biomes...can anyone tell me...and chapter please..never heard of it :S

cabla wrote:
    What is biomes...can anyone tell me...and chapter please..never heard of it :S

In the Option section of the paper.

And if you haven't looked at by this stage I highly advise you not to make a start on it now...

And estebancambias, the Geography paper isn't predictable, it's only the second year of the new course, so guessing the type of question is virtually impossible as there is no pattern!

Eddie Ere wrote:
    Human activity was also up last year, its a toss up between them both for repitition this year surely?

exactly. the guy on 606 said that this year itd prob be 2 soil questions and one on biomes so its gonna be one of the two. and im not gonna throw away easy marks by not doing it!

totally confused. just checked the marking scheme for last year and it said that "maximum of 2 characteristics from within any one of climate/soil/fauna etc". what does that mean?! what other characteristic are you supposed to use?

Eddie Ere wrote:
    In the Option section of the paper.

And if you haven't looked at by this stage I highly advise you not to make a start on it now...

And estebancambias, the Geography paper isn't predictable, it's only the second year of the new course, so guessing the type of question is virtually impossible as there is no pattern!

Ahh no wonder, i'm doing global Interdependence. Anyone any tips on that?

hey iv just bein goin through my exam papers there now and im wonderin how possible is it for them to change the format of the exam paper?im only studying river processes for physical geog but if they start mixing up the river,rock and tectonic im seriously focked.........i heard theres a new guy settting the exam paper this year so who knows we might get a land tomorrow afternoon.........:( :eek: :( :eek: :( :eek: :( :eek: :( :eek:

blondie07 wrote:
    totally confused. just checked the marking scheme for last year and it said that "maximum of 2 characteristics from within any one of climate/soil/fauna etc". what does that mean?! what other characteristic are you supposed to use?

What they mean by this is that you can mix a maximum of 2 characteristics in each heading.
    E.G. Instead of dealing with flora and fauna as 2 separate characterists in your answer, you can deal with flora and fauna as one characteristic. This the same for climate and location etc....because it can be hard to get the required amount of SRP's from one single characteristic such as flora.

maggie18x wrote:
    hey iv just bein goin through my exam papers there now and im wonderin how possible is it for them to change the format of the exam paper?im only studying river processes for physical geog but if they start mixing up the river,rock and tectonic im seriously focked.........i heard theres a new guy settting the exam paper this year so who knows we might get a land tomorrow afternoon...

I seriously doubt that the examiner would make any drastic changes to the exam paper. As it is in its second year, he would probably would not want to make it any harder, as it is already tough enough to learn the course...never mind being able to write everything down in time. I doubt they would mix up different sections of Core 1 (rivers/rocks/tectonic), and if they did, it probably wouldn't be from all three sections.. (i hope!!!!!) :eek:

Can someone please tell me all their characteristics for biomes???

I have just worked out (from the syllabus, a dictionary and the internet) that deforestation is not a characteristic of a biome....im almost certain. It says on the syllabus that "These biomes are world regions characterised by groups of plants and animals adapted to specific conditions of climate, soils and biotic inter-relationship"

Biotic inter-relationship

All of the natural living organisms in a planning area and their life processes. A resource classification category which subdivides the natural resources and properties into either the biotic or the abiotic (nonliving) entities and characteristics. Human activities are not usually grouped with either of these categories because they are not considered to be a part of a planning area's natural entities or characteristics. Nevertheless, native cultures have been actively influencing the course of biotic activity in some areas for centuries.

Do you think that these "native cultures" can be considered the people who fell trees? AAAAAHHHHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

hey stern what are u banking on to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

maggie18x wrote:
    hey stern what are u banking on to come up?

There will be lots of choice, i really wouldn't worry, with Geography your always going to be able to write something for the elective and regional questions from your general knowledge, and section 1 will get you 60+ marks. ;)

• Advertisement

Basically, im doing:

Q. 1,2,3 : River processes and landforms, how humans affect a process, and gona look over tectonics

Q. 4,5,6 : This is what i'm completely lost for. I know Dublin/BMW very well and can kind of bull**** through it. Maybe primary and tertiary activities in european region and india. Also, EU expansion to the irish economy

Q. 7,8,9 : learning MNC, EU policies, energy, and globalisation/colonialism and hopefully I will be covered for 1 question :D

Q. 16,17,18 : Hope to god characteristics of biome or human interference with a biome come up. (i think they are the only 2 questions they can ask on biomes) if otherwise, please tell me!!!

Advertisement