Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vector images?

Options
  • 31-05-2007 8:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to turn an image I have into a vector so I can print it on a black t-shirt (the site I'm using demands a vectorised eps).

The thing is, I haven't the first clue as to what I'm doing - I know I need to use illustrator but that's about it.

Can anyone show me a good guide to figure out what I need to do - all I've found is how to make vector images from scratch rather than from an existing image.

(Also - what's the best effect to use in Photoshop or Illustrator when you want to get a kind of shadowed black and white effect on a photograph - something that resembles the classic Ché Guevara headshot you see on countless T-shirts? I've been using Torn Edges or Stamp filter in PS and getting OK results - not perfect though!)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Live trace in Illustrator CS2 and up should do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Use the cutout effect in Photoshop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for the help.

OK - one last question... is there a way to delete a white background in illustrator and then save it as an eps with a transparent background?

I've taken a layer from PS (which did have a transparent background there) and for some reason it's showing up in illustrator with a white background... can't figure out how to delete it.

Any advice?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

As far as I know illustrator documents always have the while artboard there. Certianly when I ever open an illustrater document in ps it ignores the white background.

Try opening your EPS in Photoshop and see what happens after you raster it.

Advertisement