Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie guitar question

Options
  • 31-05-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I started teaching myself guitar a few days ago. It's slow going an my fingers hurt as I type this, but I'm really enjoying it. I've learned the A,C,D,E and G chords, and I can switch between them kind of accurately.

Anyway, I looked up the intro to stairway to heaven, not that I expect to be able to play it inside a year, but I was just curious. I played the first few notes and got a real kick out of it.

Anyway, my question is: when you're looking up tabs like this one.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/peter_frampton/do_you_feel_like_we_do_intro_tab.htm

it seems like it tells you the notes to play, but not where your fingers should be at any given time. How do you work that out?

Could anyone recommend some easy songs to learn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

well it kinda becomes second nature after some time. think of it as using all four fingers across 4 frets so you use your index for say fret 5, middle for fret 6, ring for seventh and so on if ya get me! take a good crack at stairway though its not that hard! once you get to grips with it its just finger picking some chords.

once you start learning scales the finger placement will be easier to understand! but what ever ya do dont forget to use the pinky! its a bad habit to get into by not using it!

you should learn a good few zeppelin tracks and see how ya get on. heartbreaker and black dog are soem good ones! anyway good luck with it mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

You will have to work out the fingering yourself.....whatever is easier or feels comfortable.

There is one right way and a hundred wrong ways to play guitar parts....bad technique could limit your playing ability a bit....so get someone good to show you........keep watching other guitarists to learn stuff.

As for easy songs....don't come any easier that Oasis......big band, easy guitar tunes.....mostly open chords used for all the rhythms.

Keep practicing,
    Darren.

Advertisement