Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question

Options
  • 31-05-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I recently have strong ambitions to go into aviation as a career. But my eyes are a -2.50 each eye and i wear contacts. Would i pass the medical and also are you allowed make up eyesight requirements with contacts/glasses?

I would just like to know this before i get my hopes up anymore and go downt he road of visiting PTC etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

In short, yes, from what I can gather.

JAR Class 1 medical requirements be here, and eyesight standards are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

To put your mind at rest, arrange an eye exam with any of the below examiners that are recognised by the Irish Aviation Authority...

Dr. N. Tallent

Aeromedical Centre

Mater Private Hospital

Eccles St.

Dublin 7

Tel: 01 885 8615

Dr. Colm Killeen JNR and Dr. Gerard Roebuck

Dublin Aviation Medical Practice

14 Mountjoy Square

Dublin 1

Tel: 878 6269 / 01 874 0841

Dr. Garrett Hayes

Lucan Court Medical Centre

2 The Village Court

Esker Hill

Lucan

Co. Dublin

Tel: 01 628 2497

Dr. Donal Collins

Mater Private Hospital

Eccles Street

Dublin 7

Tel: 01 885 8615

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

You seem to be perfectly within the limits as long as there's no other eye issues - muscular imbalance, colour blindness etc etc.

If you're just starting out and you're serious about aviation as a career, my advice is to thoroughly check yourself against the JAA Class One requirements and, if all seems in order, get on to the aeromedical centre in the Mater Private and book your medical, finances permitting. It costs in the region of €600 but it'll give you some piece of mind. Other suggestion is to have a few trial lessons first, don;t want to waste money if you discover you don't like it.

:) Wex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yup, no bother....My mate wears his specs while flying A330's. I think that old belief about eyesight harks back to the days of VFR.

Advertisement