Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portforwarding and static ip

Options
  • 31-05-2007 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can i set a static ip on eircom?
    I need it for portforwarding.
    Any ideas would help
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Eircom will give you one static IP if you are on their Business package (€40 per month) .. they will also charge you a onve off fee of €50 to get it...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

An alternative to consider is to use a dynamic DNS service like http://www.dyndns.com/. You create an account with them and register a domain name. Then on some machine on your network run a small client that talks occasionally with their servers. Each time your external IP changes with your ISP the client tells the dynamic DNS service and then they modify their DNS servers to point your domain name to the new IP address.

That way you can give out your domain name to any people or services that need to access your network, and be sure that they'll always get pointed to the right IP address.

And their basic service is free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

JohnnieM wrote:
    Eircom will give you one static IP if you are on their Business package (€40 per month) .. they will also charge you a onve off fee of €50 to get it...:eek:

i think its 48.40 a month

you also have to wait till it is installed, then apply for the static IP, you can't just call up and say i want broadband + static IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For the dynamic dns, some routers support this, so you might not even need the client on your pc.

I've been using it for 2 years and only had an issue once when my Linksys router had to be rebooted to update the DNS settings with the new IP.

Dankoozy wrote:
    i think its 48.40 a month

you also have to wait till it is installed, then apply for the static IP, you can't just call up and say i want broadband + static IP.

Sorry .. too used to the nett prices on the business accounts , your quite right 48.40 inc and 60.50 inc respectively

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Hold on, I just reread your original post. You want a static IP for port forwarding. Doesn't that normally mean that you want one of the computers on your internal network to have a static IP, not that you want your external Eircom IP to be static? If so then you have two choices:

1) You can follow directions here http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm to set up a static ip on the computer

or

2) For some routers you can set them up to assign a particular IP address to a particular MAC address.

I think he'll still need a fixed Ip (or dyndns) to be able to locate his router from the internet..:) the port forwarding is to the internal network from external...

Advertisement