Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BHP chip

Options
  • 31-05-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I recently bought myself a '03 Golf GTi. Low Mileage and in great nick and overall Im very happy with it. Things is, I was considering buying one of those chips to increase the BHP on it. It's currently around the 150 mark and i want to get it up to about 200 - so nothing overly dramatic. Anyone know where I can get one? Any help much appreciated..

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

30% more power not dramatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

If it's an 03 gti there is no need to buy a chip as these cars can be remapped thru the diagnostic port, much better results this way too.

Plenty of places doing remapping, I know some people who used http://www.chippedire.com/?gclid=CLeF1I-ouYwCFRDNXgodSVGzMA
    You should see around 200bhp from a remap.

I drove a GTI with 180 and that was pretty quick, Are ther any issues with mapping to over 200bhp, I know VAG do a 225bhp, is that just remapped, or are there any mechanical differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

later edition 150 1.8ts have no problem hitting 200bhp+ they are just the 180 engine with a different map. the 225 bhp engines have a bigger turbo but thats it i think

So wouldn't the mechanicals of a 150 suffer if the car is chipped to 200bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

colm_mcm wrote:

No, they can handle up to 350bhp before upgraded internals are needed. Plenty of cars in USA with standard internals and big turbo's bolted on.
    Jabbasport in UK do an IHI turbo conversion which makes around 350bhp too.
    Clutch would be a different story tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I dont really understand this chipping stuff - im told that 150bhp tdi golfs have some lag compared to the 130. so the 130 ovboiusly has a smaller turbo and other stuff - if the 130 is chipped to 150 is the power just better. What are the drawbacks ?

colm_mcm wrote:

no, having owned a 150 chipped to 215 i can confirm not. there are 1000s of people running chipped golfs with no problems

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This isssue comes up time and again.

It's pretty easy to remap a modern turbo engine, and almost magically get very significant bhp gains.

My concerns would be:

1/. Insurance. Failure to disclose power hikes probably will invalidate your cover. Many think "how would they ever find out?" but in the event of an accident it's not difficult to establish a cars power has been boosted.

2/. Brakes/suspension/tyres. These were designed to cope with the manufacturers factory set output. Some degree of margin is built in but how much? 350bhp? Wouldn't that be suicidal in a fwd car?

3/. Transmission. Same concerns.

Just my 2c worth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cyrus wrote:
    no, having owned a 150 chipped to 215 i can confirm not. there are 1000s of people running chipped golfs with no problems

I'd dispute that. A 43% increase in engine output (and presumably torque) will inevitably put increased stress and wear on key components.

I think what you should have said is that nothing broke, at least up to the end of your period of ownership.

• Advertisement

thats not a fair comment tho,

from late 00 onwards the 150 and 180 engines are the very same save for the map, as such its a 20% increase really, and most uprate their suspension and brakes (i definately did)

Cyrus wrote:
    thats not a fair comment tho,

from late 00 onwards the 150 and 180 engines are the very same save for the map, as such its a 20% increase really, and most uprate their suspension and brakes (i definately did)

Fair enough then. Just as a matter of interest, did you inform your insurer about the engine, suspension and brake mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

This isssue comes up time and again.

It's pretty easy to remap a modern turbo engine, and almost magically get very significant bhp gains.

My concerns would be:

1/. Insurance. Failure to disclose power hikes probably will invalidate your cover. Many think "how would they ever find out?" but in the event of an accident it's not difficult to establish a cars power has been boosted.

2/. Brakes/suspension/tyres. These were designed to cope with the manufacturers factory set output. Some degree of margin is built in but how much? 350bhp? Wouldn't that be suicidal in a fwd car?

3/. Transmission. Same concerns.

Just my 2c worth.

are your "concerns" reffering to and increase to 180 or 350

C_Breeze wrote:
    are your "concerns" reffering to and increase to 180 or 350

They apply to any increase.

So you would have equal transmission, Brake and Suspension concerns with a gain of say 10bhp and 100bhp!?

Fair enough then. Just as a matter of interest, did you inform your insurer about the engine, suspension and brake mods?

yes, they didnt seem to care :confused:

C_Breeze wrote:
    So you would have equal transmission, Brake and Suspension concerns with a gain of say 10bhp and 100bhp!?

Of course you wouldn't. Don't be silly.

Cyrus wrote:
    yes, they didnt seem to care :confused:

Very odd. I'd say more likely they didn't appreciate the significance. I know you've sold the car since, but my view is any communication with an insurer of this nature should be fully documented to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

any communication with an insurer of this nature should be fully documented to protect yourself.

Agreed. Imagine the nightmare to find yourself not covered by your insurance in case of a claim :(

Very odd. I'd say more likely they didn't appreciate the significance. I know you've sold the car since, but my view is any communication with an insurer of this nature should be fully documented to protect yourself.

sold that and another car since :D havent messed with the bmws that way so less hassle i spose, altho apparently the 530 can be mapped to 250 up from 231 :cool:

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    sold that and another car since :D havent messed with the bmws that way so less hassle i spose, altho apparently the 530 can be mapped to 250 up from 231 :cool:

530d or 530i ??

The one i was most impressed with from chipped ire database was a Golf GT TDI PD 150 ...which will go to 213bhp :eek: :eek: :eek:

....I would take that anyday over a GTI

530i, no diesel here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Has anybody used any of these companies to remapp? I am contemplating getting it done but would like first hand experiences good or bad from any of the boards users who have used any of these companies (preferably in the leinster area)

Cyrus wrote:
    530i, no diesel here ;)

Thats quite an impressive gain for a Naturally aspirated motor then!

...and you say that almost as if there is something wrong with diesels.

Would take a 530d over a 530i anyday :p

you could, you would have to stare at my tailpipe tho ;)

petrol is quicker, as std anyway, in nearly all situations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Moanin wrote:
    Has anybody used any of these companies to remapp? I am contemplating getting it done but would like first hand experiences good or bad from any of the boards users who have used any of these companies (preferably in the leinster area)

Anybody????

Cyrus wrote:
    you could, you would have to stare at my tailpipe tho ;)

petrol is quicker, as std anyway, in nearly all situations!

Would have to disagree with you. We had a 2001 530i for a few months and I didn't find it massively quick.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Would have to disagree with you. We had a 2001 530i for a few months and I didn't find it massively quick.

i never actually said it was? i said it was quicker than the 530d which it is :confused:

anyway in my opinion its a quick car now that you ask, 231 bhp 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and 155mph top speed, maybe you werent driving it properly ;)

what do you have now?

It belonged to the garage, one of the perks! I found the 530d quicker in real life, overtaking etc. also found the claims that 530i's were thirsty were a bit unfounded. Could easily get over 30mpg on a long journey i.e. not far off what a 1.6 Avensis does when bing driven properly!

• Advertisement

you may have 'felt' the 530d was quicker but it isnt, 50-70 (usual overtaking test) the 530i is quicker and in nearly all other situations its a good but quicker

top gear did a comparison one time aswell that showed the 530i was the faster car

1.6 avensis mpg doesnt surprise me, example of an engine not powerful enough to pull a big car

Advertisement