Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP?

Options
  • 31-05-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Just a quick question - I'm living in Santry, and want broadband. However, I don't want to get tied down to a phone line/contract because I'm renting and will move at some stage in the future.

in my old house, we had ClearWire which blocked off ports and wasn't very quick... we then got Eircom broadband, which was deadly. I do use P2P and other programs, and don't want them blocked off by an ISP.

What's my best option? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CJ Marren wrote:
    Hey all.

Just a quick question - I'm living in Santry, and want broadband. However, I don't want to get tied down to a phone line/contract because I'm renting and will move at some stage in the future.

in my old house, we had ClearWire which blocked off ports and wasn't very quick... we then got Eircom broadband, which was deadly. I do use P2P and other programs, and don't want them blocked off by an ISP.

What's my best option? Any help would be great!

Thanks!

No matter what type of 'real' bb you get you are going to have to sign up to some sort of contract for at least 6 months surely you realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

CJ Marren wrote:
    I do use P2P and other programs, and don't want them blocked off by an ISP.
    AFAIK, BT are the only ones who don't do anything about it if you exceed your cap. At least they haven't come after me, in the two years I've been with them. Expect crap customer service and lots of billing errors, but the tech support is quite good (in my experience) and the BB itself is pretty reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Better still, Smart don't have any cap :)

As dub45 said, though, most proper BB providers will stick you with at least a 6 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ah sorry, it's not the contract per se, it's that I don't want to have to install a fixed line and be held down to that, any more ideas?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How about a fixed wireless solution, like IBB Breeze or Digiweb Metro?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Check contract lengths , many wireless packages are 1 or even 2 years .

DSL contracts are typically 6 months unless you take a BUNDLE which is usually one year so avoid those .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

byte wrote:
    How about a fixed wireless solution, like IBB Breeze or Digiweb Metro?
    Just looked up Digiweb Metro, looks good! It's a 12 month contract, but it means that I wouldn't have to have a telephone contract which is great.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with Digiweb Metro Lite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Check Irish Broadband Breeze. Have it here in Maynooth and its great. No port blocking and unlimited downloads and we download a lot between the 4 of usin the house on bittorrent, I use Xbox Live and then regular web browsing etc..

Advertisement