Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin on a Friday Night

Options
  • 31-05-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Cool things to do in Dublin on a Friday night? I'm just coming up for the night with a friend doesn't particularly like nightclubs so any ideas of pubs that might be a little quieter? Or any general suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where are you staying?.

Southside I'd suggest Anywhere along Wexford St & Camden St.

Keep away from TempleBar and O'Connell St. Templebar because its a rip off, and O'Connell St because its violent and way dodgy.

Northside, Porterhouse at Crossgun's Bridge then jump a taxi and head accross to Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

movies (specially IFI), theatre...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Mairt wrote:
    ..O'Connell St because its violent and way dodgy.

10 years ago maybe. It's no more violent or way dodgy than any other part of the city centre.

If you're willing to cross over to the seemingly scary northside, there are some great pubs. Grand Central on O'Connell Street is a good spot. Clientele is your over 25 year olds usually. Good pints, good service. Opens late, and there's music on aswell.

Keating's, also called The Church, down at the end of Henry Street is a nice place. Quite big, so can get a bit noisy, but it's comfortable, and there's music on too. Also opens late.

Down the road, on Capel Street, you have Nealons, Slattery's, Bleu Note, Gubu.. All decent boozers and fairly lively. Nealons has a really nice coctail bar upstairs, and the coctails aren't riduculously overpriced either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I like the International Bar on a Friday night,up stars is a great little comedy club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

10 years ago maybe. It's no more violent or way dodgy than any other part of the city centre.

If you're willing to cross over to the seemingly scary northside, there are some great pubs. Grand Central on O'Connell Street is a good spot. Clientele is your over 25 year olds usually. Good pints, good service. Opens late, and there's music on aswell.

Keating's, also called The Church, down at the end of Henry Street is a nice place. Quite big, so can get a bit noisy, but it's comfortable, and there's music on too. Also opens late.

Down the road, on Capel Street, you have Nealons, Slattery's, Bleu Note, Gubu.. All decent boozers and fairly lively. Nealons has a really nice coctail bar upstairs, and the coctails aren't riduculously overpriced either.

Last time I was on O'Connell Street at night I saw a lovely big puddle of blood on the path, god knows what had just happened some poor person, I had just arrived as the ambulance was pulling away!

Ah no but it's just as safe as anywhere that's lit up in the city, you'll always have ups and downs. I agree Grand Central is a lovely spot with great service!

I love a nice dinner if I dont feel like clubbing, loads of places off Grafton Street tend to be lovely, or around Dame Street / George's Street. There's a comedy club, the Laughter Lounge on the quays just bit up from o'connell bridge, on o'connell street side. I've never been myself but would love to go! Or see whats on in Vicar Street tonight, might be tickets left!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dirty Knuckles

O'Connell St. Mmmmmmm..

Well I'm a taxi driver, so I'd see most parts of Dublin. Both good and bad, and O'Connell St is bad.

Although I'd have to say its mostly from the GPO upwards (towards Parnell St). And esp. so outside Frazer's and the taxi rank at the Gresham after pub hours.

Why go near O'Connell St when there's much better, safer area's to visit?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

O'Connell st is fine,there's allways loads of people about and its well lit.Keep away from marlboro street and parnell street after hours though,especially marlboro street.

Advertisement