Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defence Forces on Prime Time

Options
  • 31-05-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Whilst browsing through the rte archive searching for info on search and rescue (to reiterate the point that relying on helicopters isn't a good idea and that first aid skills are required on the hill) i came across this. It was a two part Prime Time special on the defence forces prior to the white paper on defence and was broadcast in early may 1999. http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0513/primetime.html

I'm not in the defence forces have an interest in giving things a go in the future after university so found this rather interesting. Would be interested in peoples thoughts one the programme itself and how far we've moved on since then. This is the second part and the focus is on the aircorps and navy - the first part about the army is unavailable and i've emailed them about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

things were pretty rough back then.... i just hope things have improved.

There is another white paper on the defence forces coming up in 2010 and the government should really expand the army, navy and aircorps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

'99 was sort of at the tail end of our really bad old days. Basically we had an underfunded military which stretched every penny. It's a lot better nowadays, but as I'm sure you've heard around here we all want more, the navy and air core in particular. Reality is we do a very good job for the funding we get, nowadays we do a much better job than we used to (even the Brits in places like Kosovo look with envy at some of our gucci kit on issue, but guys will still buy their own where it's lacking, that goes on in any army.) Still, the army shoulders the burden of what we do overseas (IE a soldier in the army has the most chance of getting killed for lack of decent funding) and so long as that is the case, the army needs and gets the lions share. Of course the solution would be to spend more on defence, but that's another tricky matter in itself.

'99 seems like such a long time ago compared to nowadays... A lot done, a lot more yet to do, to coin a phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I would I access the first part of that documentary on RTÉ online? I can't seem to find it

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

segaBOY wrote:
    I would I access the first part of that documentary on RTÉ online? I can't seem to find it

Thanks
    From the OP:

"This is the second part and the focus is on the aircorps and navy - the first part about the army is unavailable and i've emailed them about it."

I'd also be interested in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

DaveMcG wrote:
    From the OP:

"This is the second part and the focus is on the aircorps and navy - the first part about the army is unavailable and i've emailed them about it."

I'd also be interested in it :)

Oh sorry didn't see that, cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement