Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drum and bass?

• 31-05-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I've been gettin into drum and bass lately, stuff like dj hype, ganja kru, that sort of thing. can anyone recommend any drum and bass or jungle stuff that's worth checkin out?

the filthier and noisier the better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Here's 1 album id recommend anyway :cool:

51HV1WTMVYL._SS400_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

Get some Enduser. He has an album out I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

id recommened any of Hype or Andy C's sets from Fabric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

those dnb arena albums are a bit crappy, the same 30 or so classic tunes unadventurously in a completely random order by big names who are well past their prime...

there's a mix of mine up on my VIRB.com page, doesn't quite qualify as "filthy" as such bar the first few tunes, but i've a few more in the pipeline:

http://www.virb.com/tyrannyexecutivesteve - it's the "ladybird breakbeats" mix

also, i'll bump the huge big filthy dnb thread that was around here a few months back when i get home from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

those dnb arena albums are a bit crappy, the same 30 or so classic tunes unadventurously in a completely random order by big names who are well past their prime...

there's a mix of mine up on my VIRB.com page, doesn't quite qualify as "filthy" as such bar the first few tunes, but i've a few more in the pipeline:

http://www.virb.com/tyrannyexecutivesteve - it's the "ladybird breakbeats" mix

also, i'll bump the huge big filthy dnb thread that was around here a few months back when i get home from work

you what:eek: some of the biggest grounbreaking Jungle and D & B tunage of all time are on the Drum & Bass arena, these tunes shaped the scene to what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

thanks lads, i'll try and get my hands on that drum n bass arena thing. seems like a good starting point.

have dj hype's first fabric mix. it's fantastic. i'm looking for more of that sort of thing. if ye can think of anything, keep the names coming...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Well, I don't care for most DnB... but I love Pendulum!

EDIT: Actually, would they be considered DnB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Deffo check out Concord Dawn (NZ) and Pendulum (Aus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

I know these are just opinions but Pendulum and Concord Dawn have to be two of the most disgusting Dnb producers on the planet. Big noisey 2 step rock drums and no atmoshpere, bass or subtlety. The man obviously likes the sound of jump up jungle and the older stuff. You might as well get aquainted to all the classics from that era and there is many a mix cd out there with them. Dj Hype did a good one from about 4 years back. Jungle classics or some ****. Have a listen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Check out Black Sun Empire : Driving Insane LP, absolute quality from start to finish, also check out Paul B's Nuborn mixes I think you can download them from his website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

eddyc wrote:
    Check out Black Sun Empire : Driving Insane LP, absolute quality from start to finish, also check out Paul B's Nuborn mixes I think you can download them from his website.

Yeah, driving insane is really good. Techsteppin' compilation album, also good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

hey lads, thanks for all yr help. have a copy of that goldie drum n bass cd in the post for myself. figure it's as good a place as any to start.

you all sound like ye know yr stuff so i feel like bit of an idiot for asking this, but do any of ye know of any compilations that have that mbeat song, that one with general levi, whicked.

i used to love that song, can't find it anywhere:o

jonny68 wrote:
    you what:eek: some of the biggest grounbreaking Jungle and D & B tunage of all time are on the Drum & Bass arena, these tunes shaped the scene to what it is.

yeah, only the really big over played anthems mixed in a really random fashion, by tired old has been hacks like grooverider

if you want a proper schooling then go to www.weareie.com and grab all of naphta's old school mixes.

whiterob81 wrote:
    hey lads, thanks for all yr help. have a copy of that goldie drum n bass cd in the post for myself. figure it's as good a place as any to start.

you all sound like ye know yr stuff so i feel like bit of an idiot for asking this, but do any of ye know of any compilations that have that mbeat song, that one with general levi, whicked.

i used to love that song, can't find it anywhere:o

ooh if it's "timeless" then you're in for a treat...

as for any of the mix cd's he's done well, he's a bit patchy on the old decks goldie is, but unlike some he never really turned to the dark side of the cheese...

if you can find any of the following compilations you're in for a treat:::

logical progression volume one mixed by ltj bukem - lush early nineties atmospheric stuff

metalheadz presents platinum breaks volume one - crucial compilation. the tunes on this shaped the scene to what it is today, and as far as label compilations go it has to be one of the best of all time

grooverider presents the prototype years: excellent compilation of pre-cokehead cheesemonger spanner era grooverider's prototype label before he started signing all those horrid bad company tunes.

rohan and mc lowqui - bassbin selection volume 1 - excellent mix of tunes from irelands finest label, pretty much the best of the new school labels, and one of the few that covers all the bases without any dips in quality control

here's a link to the bassbin mix, it was originally up for free download on the bbc website: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DZ5RHCMO

1. Fracture & Neptune - Continuities (Breakin’)
    2. Equinox - From Above (Breakin’)
    3. Beta 2 & Zero Tolerance - New Dawn (Bassbin)
    4. Version - Spice (Bassbin)
    5. Paradox - Bongolia (Bassbin)
    6. Zero Tolerance - Catfight (Calibre Remix) (Bassbin)
    7. Zero Tolerance - Taken Over (Bassbin)
    8. Random Movement - Time To Rock (forthcoming on Bassbin)
    9. Random Movement - Stars In The Dark (forthcoming on Bassbin
    10. Zero T - Naphta (Bassbin)
    11. Alias - Cosmos (Bassbin)
    12. Skitty - Sweet Vibrations VIP (exclusive to this mix)
    13. Beta 2 - Consciousness (Bassbin)
    14. Equinox - Rockers (forthcoming on Bassbin)
    15. Alias - Long Time (Bassbin)
    16. Breakage - So Mars (Bassbin)
    17. Breakage - Mars (Bassbin)
    18. Breakage - Morning Star (forthcoming on Bassbin)
    19. Digital - Get Away (Bassbin)

here's a liveset from Loxy and mc 2shy recorded last week:::
    http://www.darklightbrighton.com/loxytechnology.mp3

there's my moody to mellow mix on http://www.virb.com/tyrannyexecutivesteve

and if you go to the REACH.dnb site @ http://www.virb.com/reachdrumandbass

you'll find a very fine oldschool mix by BARRY DELTA as well as audio of our last bank holiday special in Traffic in dublin with FLIGHT (bbc 1xtra, Play:Music, Bassbin, 31) and RICKY FORCE, there's mixes on the way up from the rest of the residents (beta 2, zero tolerance, genie, synergy, rory c, myself) as soon as we pull our fingers out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Favourite Drum and Bass album of all time has to be 'The Self Evident Truth of an Intuitive Mind' by T-Power, absolutely ridiculous bass in some of the songs, probably very difficult to find though. Second what CM is saying about Logical Progression and Platinum Breaks, classic albums. Also, I'm not sure of the exact name of the compilation - CM can probably help me out here - I think it's called UK Drum and Bass Collective, it starts out with BodySnatch 'Just 4 U London' and has Valley of the Shadows and stuff like that on it, think it might be mixed by Kenny Ken, anyway, it's savage! If you need anymore 'information' about getting these albums send me a pm ;)

'The Self Evident Truth of an Intuitive Mind' by T-Power

clearly a man who knows his **** :wink:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DJ Macken

you have to try get hold of a tune by dj hype, j majik and wickaman feat. daddy earl called ''DUBPLATE KILLA''.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Woooly

Check out;

High Contrast - If We Ever

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=53zu6O_bVL4

Adele - Hometown Glory (High Contrast Remix)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=32z7USfMD1s

Eric Prydz - Pjanoo (High Contrast Remix)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWM1c-2JlA

Chase and Status - Eastern Jam

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRaYFCZpPo

Chase and Status - Hurt You

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=AvfysP0Bhf4

Chase & Status - Take Me Away

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9BxMnOteI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 DaMooseDog

Not quite as darkcore as some of the other stuff mentioned, but check out Dj Marky, brazilian srum and bass dj, excellent imo

He's playing in Dublin at end of Feb as well

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=64219152

http://www.deezer.com/#music/result/all/dj%20marky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

RONI SIZE

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=277166268

The album with Brown Paper Bag on it is a classic, won Mercury Music Prize around '98 or so.

130209.jpg

tune in to radio na life every wednesday from 9pm for three hours of brand new cutting edge dnb from myself and dj class-a

look out for a new two hour show on rte pulse soon featuring the best in drum and bass, dubstep, broken beat, etc...

Personally, my favourite DNB albums are....

Roni Size - New Forms
    Adam F - Colours
    Goldie - Timeless (especially the first track)
    Chase n' Status - More than a lot
    LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression 1

TBH, I thought the scene was dead untill recently, the Chase and Status album is excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Code

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Favourite Drum and Bass album of all time has to be 'The Self Evident Truth of an Intuitive Mind' by T-Power, absolutely ridiculous bass in some of the songs, probably very difficult to find though. Second what CM is saying about Logical Progression and Platinum Breaks, classic albums. Also, I'm not sure of the exact name of the compilation - CM can probably help me out here - I think it's called UK Drum and Bass Collective, it starts out with BodySnatch 'Just 4 U London' and has Valley of the Shadows and stuff like that on it, think it might be mixed by Kenny Ken, anyway, it's savage! If you need anymore 'information' about getting these albums send me a pm ;)

This man knows what he's talkin' about

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ill probably get blasted but pendulum is pretty good, also if your more into jungle they remixed an album called Jungle Sound Gold, tis pretty good by my ears, the neighbours and anyone pulling alongside my jeep hate it though :D

If anyone wants to check my fortnight D&B / Jungle show - it's on Thursday's (even weeks) from 9:30pm GMT on www.jungletrain.net

I'd also recommend tuning to that net radio station at any time, generally very high quality.

there's mp3's (+tracklistings) of the last few months of my show here :

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=151947

lots of different styles of Drum & Bass in the mixes + some oldskool Jungle type stuff aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There were a good few Irish producers back in the day! cant believe there's still a DnB scene in ireland.

Anyone know what happened to the bassbin crew, anyone remember Razor - best DnB DJ in Ireland according to himself..

Hi code, Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evlis

Here's a mix I did....

DJ EVLIS - MURDERATION

Tracklist:

General Dub - eh?
    Zeb - Rude Boy Style
    Polar - Sit Down & Dance
    White Label - eh?
    Inta Warriors - Inta ( Special Forces Remix )
    Alpha Omega - Tribal Instinct
    Martyn - Tanglewood
    Motive - Domino
    eh? - MA2 ( Ray Keith Remix )
    NastyNasty - Time To Burn
    ****mat - That Track
    Ohio Players - Funky Worm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

QUESTION SIRS!

i used to own this great little d&b set by Dconvict... anyone any idea where to find it?

tried lookin for it but obviously either not hard enough or in the wrong places..

omyatari wrote: »
    QUESTION SIRS!

i used to own this great little d&b set by Dconvict... anyone any idea where to find it?

tried lookin for it but obviously either not hard enough or in the wrong places..

D Convict? Jaysus, i actually know him, hung out with him and a rake of other belgians over there years ago - being a belgian head, you're probably best off checking out www.breakz.be - it' the main (english language) dnb forum for belgium - someone would know where to find him anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garkah

*whips out laptop...turns on windows media player....sets mouse over pause button whislt playing drum and bass song that's already been written*

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

check out artist like :

Lemon D

Dillinja

Goldie

J Magik

Doc Scott

but listen to there stuff released in the mid nineties.

you wont be disapointed.

this sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-vTauN9l6U

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've mentioned this before on another thread, but worth doing so again... defo one of the best D&B tracks I've ever heard...

Skanna - Heaven

And this other cracker also from Skanna, 'Night Stalker' - fckin love the FSOL sampling, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before on another thread, but worth doing so again... defo one of the best D&B tracks I've ever heard...

Skanna - Heaven

Nice tune,im really digging that.

Heres another... all off the same comp which I have treasured since I bought it back in 94, feckin 15 years ago!

The Undergraduates - Into Da Future (Exclusive Mix)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

D Convict? Jaysus, i actually know him, hung out with him and a rake of other belgians over there years ago - being a belgian head, you're probably best off checking out www.breakz.be - it' the main (english language) dnb forum for belgium - someone would know where to find him anyway!

brilliant thanks! ah yea the Belgians, got to love 'em. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Versall

thats not dj hype for sure :D thats my private selecta but if u wanna take a look on some kickass tech step dnb check out the samples on my website :)www.clubmusictherapy.ie

Felixdhc wrote: »
    And this other cracker also from Skanna, 'Night Stalker' - fckin love the FSOL sampling, brilliant.

skanna = legend!

also made loads of prog house / trance as "quivver"!

funnily enough they probably weren't technically FSOL samples - leon marr was FSOL's engineer and used to have a habit of sneaking out DAT tapes of sounds run through FSOL's extensive and at teh time eye-wateringly expensive studio and circulate them through the DnB community... think of them as being sounds nicked from the FSOL studio rather than from FSOL records

• Advertisement

skanna = legend!

also made loads of prog house / trance as "quivver"!

funnily enough they probably weren't technically FSOL samples - leon marr was FSOL's engineer and used to have a habit of sneaking out DAT tapes of sounds run through FSOL's extensive and at teh time eye-wateringly expensive studio and circulate them through the DnB community... think of them as being sounds nicked from the FSOL studio rather than from FSOL records

Yeah I was surprised to read that before, you certainly wouldn't connect his music from Skanna to Quivver!

Interesting on the FSOL sounds... so he just lifted or robbed some sounds from them basically?!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

grooverider presents the prototype years: excellent compilation of pre-cokehead cheesemonger spanner era grooverider's prototype label before he started signing all those horrid bad company tunes.

Anyone got a link to this badboy?? My copy is ****ed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Lots of great radio shows from Don Rosco Stacks worth checking here
    http://www.powerfm.org/shows/don-rosco-stacks-the-don-rosco-stacks-show/

Just dug out this vinyl the other day and thought it would be a good one for this thread - hard and heavy but still lots of soul in this (I think anyway!)

Peshay - "Nocturnal" (Back On The Firm) on Metalheadz from the mid-nineties :)

Just listen for the bits with the two different drum breaks playing together - gets me everytime !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If you want something absolutely disgustingly disgracefully filthy check out Bryan fury, The Teknoist, The Producer, Igor , Hellfish or any of the artists assosciated with the Pace Maker label. Insane breaky hardcore meets DnB. I'm not even sure it is actually DnB but its about 180-220 bpm and fkn filthy.
    FILTHY.
    FILTHY.
    FILTHY.
    It could be called break core or shattercore or summ't. One thing is for sure, you wont hear too much of it on 2fm;)

heres an example of the kind of thing , probably one of the tamer tracks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJM-mZR2c0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

That track begs the question...

What rhythm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anima wrote: »
    That track begs the question...

What rhythm?

Theres a hidden infrasonic rhythm that only the coolest most intelligent people can hear.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

:pac:

*bump*

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you want something absolutely disgustingly disgracefully filthy check out Bryan fury, The Teknoist, The Producer, Igor , Hellfish or any of the artists assosciated with the Pace Maker label. Insane breaky hardcore meets DnB. I'm not even sure it is actually DnB but its about 180-220 bpm and fkn filthy.
    FILTHY.
    FILTHY.
    FILTHY.
    It could be called break core or shattercore or summ't. One thing is for sure, you wont hear too much of it on 2fm;)

heres an example of the kind of thing , probably one of the tamer tracks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJM-mZR2c0

Cool! i listen to all of the above and it's definetly not Drum n'Bass it would fall under the Industrial Hardcore genre which is very broad,although Bryan Fury and The DJ Producer have elements Uk Style or Breakcore.
    I definetly recommend The Outside Agency,these guys are my favourite producers and 1 of them DJ Hidden does alot of dark Dn'b on the side.
    Search Megaupload for 'The Outside Agency@ In Qontrol 06' although there is no breakbeat elements in this set,but defines Industrial Hardcore imo

and as far as i know once you head over 200bpm you into Speedcore and over 500bpm it's Splittercore,after 1000bpm it's Extratone,seriously messed up

• Advertisement
Advertisement