Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

static ip address problem

Options
  • 01-06-2007 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hey lads I set up port forwarding on my router ages ago but recently found out that for some unknown reason my static ip adress that I set up at the time has reverted to a dynamic one, dunno how the hell that could have happened. anyway now I can't seem to find the correct primary and secondary dns servers, when I type ipconfig /all they just come up the same as my default gateway. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have a Router it has DHCP usually on the WAN and has the DNS automatically.

Then the address of your router is both the DNS server and Gateway. The Router box proxies all the DNS requests.

You can edit your router admin then to change the real DNS if needed and no change needed on the LAN PCs.

On a LAN using a NAT/Router as Gateway to WAN (Internet) you don't normally need a secondary DNS.

If your web browser works, then your DNS settings are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MayoChuck

thanks watty I turned the dhcp off should I turn it back on? so should I just leave my secondary dns field blank in TCP/IP > properties? If I put in the same address an error box comes up. You're spot on I;ve a router between me and the outside world and a single home pc on the inside. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

You should have dhcp on the router on and you should have ip and dns settings set to obtain automatically on the computer, all setting changes for dns or ip are then done in the router settings page and not on your computer

The PC can be static (prefered for port forwarding).

Then the Router is DHCP client for Internet ISP, but has it's own DHCP SERVER off, so clients can be static.

The LAN network and WAN (Internet / ISP) are separate. Unless you have dozens or more PCs there is no reason to have the Router's DHCP serv er enabled for your LAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Dont forget..A lot of routers can hand out the ip address you want (via Mac address)... whats the make and model of router... This way you can still have your pc optain an ip automatically from the router but it will always get the ip address you want for your port forwarding... It would prob be your best set up. Imo

• Advertisement

Dlink call that "Static DHCP" (an oxymoron?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MayoChuck

thanks for the help, lads unfortunately im no closer to resolving this anyway i'll post an update after the weekend.

Advertisement