Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM104 Phoneshow-improvements needed

• 01-06-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that even Adrian Kennedy (presenter) seems to find it hard to grasp basic news items and general concepts on this show.

What really annoys me about the show though is that for every one person that actually has some idea of what they're talking about rings in about 5 skangers ring in to try and prove them wrong-normally resulting in a sole arguement of "i'm right....cos it's just that...ah come on...dya know what I mean?"

No real valid debate is ever made and no clear points are normally put across...

I know I don't have to listen to it (and I accept I can't expect good debate at that hour of the night) but could they not at least try and do a better job? Maybe get someone in to talk about the topic in question instead of just stealing a headline from boards.ie / the net and leaving a free for all debate commence with little quality attached?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is the way the show has ALWAYS been, since it's conception. I can't see it changing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

segaBOY wrote:
    "i'm right....cos it's just that...ah come on...dya know what I mean?"

No real valid debate is ever made and no clear points are normally put across...
    Yeah, I love that... another popular one I remember:
    Random Caller Argument: "C'mere t'me, do ye' see you? ... You're a bleeeedin fewil that's what yew are."

Then Adrian comes in and hands it over to the other caller with something like...
    "Now... there you are Jesinta, you're a fool... what do you think about that?"
    ...then lets random muppet number 2 waffle in circles for 5 minutes.

Rinse and repeat.
    That's how I remember it anyway, I haven't listened to the show in years... but for the years I did listen to it, that seemed to be the format.

It might be an interesting show if Adrian grew a pair and actually shared his opinion on the topic... if there was at least one person arguing a well constructed point on the show, it'd be a start.
    Instead he plays referee to people who either don't know what their point is or take 15 minutes to express it.
    I think they once described themselves as the Jerry Springer of late night talk... tbh, I don't watch Jerry Springer, and I certainly wouldn't watch it for the discussion :rolleyes:

Niall Boylan on 98FM was really good for a while, then turned completely daft and eventually disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

It might be an interesting show if Adrian grew a pair and actually shared his opinion on the topic... if there was at least one person arguing a well constructed point on the show, it'd be a start.

He had his opinion we put out couple of weeks ago when a mother who was sleeping with her daughter's bf was calling in. He really turned on his engines there to depict her as the fool she was/is.

Jeremy is just a sad person really - I just don't understand where he's coming from, eg when he argued against women breastfeeding their children in public so that lost appetite on his fancy sandwich in Dundrum Town Centre. He really is a small man - can't believe he's allowed to be the producer of the show with the outlook and opinions he's got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Eh, this is exactly the way the phone show is meant to be, it's not structured and "professional" like Gerry Ryan or Joe Duffy. It's for people to laugh at the idiots and scumbags who inevitably ring in night after night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

eth0_ wrote:
    Eh, this is exactly the way the phone show is meant to be, it's not structured and "professional" like Gerry Ryan or Joe Duffy. It's for people to laugh at the idiots and scumbags who inevitably ring in night after night.
    Ah yeah, like Adrian mentioned last night they have these kinds of abusers who call in every 20mins saying "Can I speak with Adrian? Can I speak with Adrian?"

Yes, Mr Campbell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

flodis79 wrote:
    Ah yeah, like Adrian mentioned last night they have these kinds of abusers who call in every 20mins saying "Can I speak with Adrian? Can I speak with Adrian?"

:D lol! I'm sure you can already buy a t-shirt with that on it! All we're waiting for now is the dance remix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Don't they ring up certain people that they know with controversial opinions just to get topics rolling?

And Adrian Kennedy's moral opinions? sure he was caught for drink driving about a year back:rolleyes:

flodis79 wrote:

Ahha, that reminds me of the people who used to keep calling him Chris on the air.
    Do people still do that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xylem

Ahha, that reminds me of the people who used to keep calling him Chris on the air.
    IIRC, it usually went something like this.

Caller : Yeah, howya Chris.
    Adrian: Its Adrian. Turn down your radio there in the background.
    Caller :*turns down radio*, Yeah, sorry about that Chris.

Xylem wrote:

Ah yeah, classic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Xylem wrote:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xylem wrote:

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Drop Get it off your Chest or otherwise make it a separate show with separate presenters in the first/last 90 minutes.

Stop starting shows with a "live" chat with Jeremy who is in the "pub" because he "thought" he got Valentine's Day off and then he magically gets from a pub on the Northside to Hume House in Ballsbridge during the 90 second ad break :rolleyes:

Stop talking about the state of prisons, boy racers, gangland crime and Garda brutality because you get the same old scumbags phoning in on every topic.
    Adrian: Joe, you're on FM104. You say you were walking your dog and you were picked up by the guards for no reason whatsoever.
    Joe: That's exactly it, Adrian.
    Adrian: And what happened then?
    Joe: [the usual - I was thrown in a holding cell, hit, kicked, bitten...]
    Adrian: And you've never been involved in any form of crime?
    Joe: None. Never.
    Adrian: So you had the lard beaten out of you for no [interrupted]
    Joe: I used to attack guards a few years back and I'm just out of Mountjoy but I've changed since then.
    Adrian: So the answer to my question is yes...?
    Joe: [Yells] NO! ADRIAN YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME...

No internet surveys.
    "A new study shows that 80% of the population think it's OK to marry their cousins..."

How do people not realise that these endless text polls are only run because they make 20c per text? And of course most of their listeners are conatantly texting and then they don't answer when they're called back :rolleyes:

They need to get rid of their current format and team altogether, but it's the number 1 night time show in the country thanks to all those skangers (I admit that I listen to it but chart music is so crappy and Radio 1 is so dull that I get no choice) so they're not going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 niteflite01

Conversely, I think the other parts of the show should be scrapped - and it should be 100% Get It Off Your Chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Oh yeah, Get it off your Chest is great but it [and all those quizzes and contests] don't fit in with the rest of the show.

"In a moment I'll be talking to Mary whose son was shot dead last week in even more gangland violence in Dublin.... First a reminder that you can win €140 tonight on What's in Kennedy's Head!"

Advertisement