Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will my mobile work in Canada?

• 01-06-2007 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I currently have a Moterola V3x and am on Vodafone prepay. Will i be able to use this fone in canada if i buy a sim card over there or will i have to buy a whole new fone aswell?

Thanks
    bubba

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Yes. A v3x will work in Canada although you wont have 3G coverage, but as all the networks there support 1900Mhz and so does your phone, you will be fine. The only thing to watch is that in your phone settings, under networks and bands, it might be manually set to 900/1800 although its probably on auto, but if you dont get a signal, that is where you select auto or 1900 band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

let me guess your a student going working in toronto for the summer, my bro is there already and he knows that theres loads of people going
    he is on 3 and 3 say they dont have a network partner in canada (3likehome.ie) but he says he has reception but is just using skype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Well Vodafone dont seem to have any roaming agreements in Canada either on their Ready to Go prepay plan, but as the OP said he is going to buy a sim card over there, the phone itself will work no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Bubba wrote:
    Hi there,

I currently have a Moterola V3x and am on Vodafone prepay. Will i be able to use this fone in canada if i buy a sim card over there or will i have to buy a whole new fone aswell?

The V3x operates on the 900/1800/1900 bands.

There are 2 major GSM operators in Canada Fido and Rogers*. Fido operates on the 1900 band, Rogers on the 850 and 1900 band, so your handset will operate on both, just make sure it is Unlocked so you can put an other operator's SIM card in it. Your handset won't get a signal under Rogers 850 coverage, but it will under their 1900 coverage so you should be fine in most major cities etc.

If you are coming on a USIT/SWAP visa and attend an induciton you will probably be offered the chance to buy a handset or SIM (from 'Student Phones') you can check with your local SWAP office before traveling.

* (Rogers actually owns Fido now, but they keep the both companies separate (I have seen internal roaming between the two though). When buying credit you have to buy the right one for your network i.e. Fido or Rogers they aren't transferable).

Have a great time eh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

The V3x operates on the 900/1800/1900 bands.

just make sure it is Unlocked so you can put an other operator's SIM card in it.

Have a great time eh! :)

Ok Thanks. Just one thing, how can i go about unlocking my phone because i'm pretty sure it'll be locked since i bought it in a Vodafone Store and it has the Vodafone Logo on the front of the phone. My guess is that its locked as are most of them these days.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Bubba wrote:
    Ok Thanks. Just one thing, how can i go about unlocking my phone because i'm pretty sure it'll be locked since i bought it in a Vodafone Store and it has the Vodafone Logo on the front of the phone. My guess is that its locked as are most of them these days.

Thanks again

you can try calling Vodafone and asking, usually if you have spent enough they may provide you with an unlocking code (or you can persuade them)

or you can try and source a reliable place what will unlock it for you... try and get a recommendation for somewhere reputable from somewhere you know :)

which city are you heading to btw?

Advertisement