Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heron

• 01-06-2007 5:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Just seen a heron in my back garden.
    I'm in ballymun, dublin I did'nt know that they came into a built up area like this.
    I've never seen a bird so big.. Is there anywhere around here that i can get some photo's. I've never seen a bird so big.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Herons are relatively common around Dublin, usually close to where there is water. I've seen a few of them at the Dodder in Rathfarnham.

Pic > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aspender/454402781/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

They are usually solitary birds except when they congregate to mate, although I have seen at least a dozen together during feeding time at the seal enclosure in Dublin Zoo.

If you live near a canal or large body of water or even have a fish pond in your garden then chances are you will see a Heron at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

r3nu4l wrote:
    They are usually solitary birds except when they congregate to mate....

That must be what I saw down in the Connigar in Dungarvan last June, I counted at least 18 in an area smaller than a 5-a-side pitch.
    I started a thread over on the Galway forum about my experiences with one earlier this year. Linky here.

Anyway, here's a pic I got a couple of summers back.....

204973103_bf70866bda.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Do any of your neighbours have ponds in their gardens ? Herons will visit ponds in the hope of catching fish.

A couple of heron's visit the old Guinness filter lake at Park West near Clondalkin, though not usually at the same time. They are very nervous birds!

482985277_31933bde5f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

crosstownk wrote:
    Herons are relatively common around Dublin, usually close to where there is water. I've seen a few of them at the Dodder in Rathfarnham.

Pic > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aspender/454402781/

Hope you liked the photo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mickjoe

Hi Eric, I have seen herons along the Dodder at the bottom of Bushy Park, also one at Firhouse, near to Spawell. I have seen them along the Grand Canal.... and I saw one from the London Bridge, the tide was out and the heron had just caught an Eel and was battering it on some rocks before it swallowed it. It took some time before the eel was subdued and was eaten by the heron. The way that eel twisted and turned you would have thought it was a Python trying to have the Heron. :)

Advertisement