Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish accent.How is it working out for you?

• 01-06-2007 6:45am

Went to TRL today.Was good fun.
    Got to be in an ad.
    When I started talking.Everybnody around me and would listen to my accent which apparently the most gorgeous/cutest accent according to one really smitten girl.Got loads of numbers.Was pretty cool as it is hard to meet people in the hostel where everybody is moving onto something else in a couple of days.
    So how is the accent working for all of ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's great being Irish. :D

I was on a train from Berlin to Prague and this old German guy sat down beside me and started babeling away in German asking me if I was American? English? Eventually I was able to explain I was Irish... Oh Irish! I have a friend who's Irish (yes he could speak English after all) I got his whole life story about how he was a medic in the nazi army and fled to India, lost an eye and a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

im really hoping that it's gonna work wonders, any american friends i have said that girls will fallover themselves for irish guys!! throw in a bit of leprachuan charm n your on to a winner id say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've lived away so long I've almost lost it. But when I get annoyed or excited and it comes out it ALWAYS works in my favour lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

LanceStorm wrote:
    im really hoping that it's gonna work wonders, any american friends i have said that girls will fallover themselves for irish guys!! throw in a bit of leprachuan charm n your on to a winner id say!!

I hope so myself and a mate are off to NY in october!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Dazzler, have you got your hoiusing sorted yet?

BTW, what Hostel are you staying in and how long have you been over for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does the Dublin accent still work? Or is it only the CUNTREE accent that does it for the chicks? ;) Cos I feel I won't be able to use my accent to my benefit, cos the Dublin accent aint all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

I met two writers for Late Night with Conan O'Brien and one of them already knew I was Irish but the other one absolutely loved my accent.
    I love being Irish in New York!

ConansGal wrote:
    I met two writers for Late Night with Conan O'Brien and one of them already knew I was Irish but the other one absolutely loved my accent.
    I love being Irish in New York!
    Where you meet them?Check out "off the wagon".It is a great pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nytfevr

It's pretty much a licence to score in the states!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

Outside a comedy gig in the east village, the one I kind of knew through talking to him online, recognised me and spoke to me and introduced me to the other writer. They are so awesome, love them!
    Where is "Off The Wagon"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So far, so good! Haven't met many locals though, only shop assistants.

Being in New York makes me think Dublin is actually a very sterile and unfriendly city, everybody we have met so far has been so nice to us, and once they hear your Irish, they can't stop talking to you and asking questions. So many times people have seen that we are a bit lost and will just come up to us and ask us if we need help.

The exact opposite of the reputation New Yorkers are supposed to have.

If anyone is in Woodside, check out Saints and Sinners, and try and get chatting to a guy called Esau (pronounced E-saw) absolute gent. He works the doors on weekends and also can just be there chillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

i'm in san fran about a week and so far i have been accused of putting on my accent at least 4 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Being in New York makes me think Dublin is actually a very sterile and unfriendly city, everybody we have met so far has been so nice to us, and once they hear your Irish, they can't stop talking to you and asking questions. So many times people have seen that we are a bit lost and will just come up to us and ask us if we need help.

The exact opposite of the reputation New Yorkers are supposed to have.

If anyone is in Woodside, check out Saints and Sinners, and try and get chatting to a guy called Esau (pronounced E-saw) absolute gent. He works the doors on weekends and also can just be there chillin.

you must be in a different new york than i lived in. if you are just basing this on woodside than maybe so. a lot of the highly populated irish american places are friendly, like woodlawn, rockaway, breezy point etc. but in the city they are very ignorant. obviously not all, but almost everyone i came across. they hate giving directions, being asked the time, the shopkeepers even hate serving you.

you must be in a different new york than i lived in. if you are just basing this on woodside than maybe so. a lot of the highly populated irish american places are friendly, like woodlawn, rockaway, breezy point etc. but in the city they are very ignorant. obviously not all, but almost everyone i came across. they hate giving directions, being asked the time, the shopkeepers even hate serving you.

I'm in Woodside now, yes, but what I said was based on my time in the city when I hadn't found a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

All good for me. Girls love it.
    During the week the bar is often fairly quite so I would chat to most customers. All of the women love it.
    At weekends we are very busy but the amount of times I have had women commenting on it and everything else is amazing. Girls have given their phone numbers, random kisses across the bar. Older women flirting with me.
    Its all good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I was asked was I Scottish... but yea, most people comment on my accent and seem to like it. I was told by one person it was 'cool'... :confused: It's funny stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ye are all forgetting to mention ye are all Brad Pitt look alikes. Thats whats really doin it for ye. Dont build up my hopes like that for next year again!!!!

Check out Webster Hall!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mine got me a job. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

who is this Esau guy? a load of us literally spent about four nights a week in this pub until closing (our latest serving was half six!) last summer but never saw this guy. i'm intrigued. is my angela still working there? oh angela! ciaran is a really decent guy aswell but ronan is a very mean man to put it nicely!

p to the e:
    Was there a good buzz in Saints and Sinners last year?
    It is pretty quiet this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rabies wrote:
    All good for me. Girls love it.
    During the week the bar is often fairly quite so I would chat to most customers. All of the women love it.
    At weekends we are very busy but the amount of times I have had women commenting on it and everything else is amazing. Girls have given their phone numbers, random kisses across the bar. Older women flirting with me.
    Its all good :D
    Jam-bag! :D

p to the e wrote:
    who is this Esau guy? a load of us literally spent about four nights a week in this pub until closing (our latest serving was half six!) last summer but never saw this guy. i'm intrigued. is my angela still working there? oh angela! ciaran is a really decent guy aswell but ronan is a very mean man to put it nicely!

Can't believe you never got chatting to Esau. He works as security on Friday and Saturday nights, but can often be in on his nights off to have a drink or two. He is black, about 6ft5' and built, but an absolute gent.

Although I haven't been to Saints and Sinners much lately as it didn't appear to be a lively J1 hotspot. Still struggling really to find the proper J1/student hotspot in the city.

Can't believe you never got chatting to Esau. He works as security on Friday and Saturday nights, but can often be in on his nights off to have a drink or two. He is black, about 6ft5' and built, but an absolute gent.

Although I haven't been to Saints and Sinners much lately as it didn't appear to be a lively J1 hotspot. Still struggling really to find the proper J1/student hotspot in the city.
    Off the wagon/Down the hatch/Webster hall-All places I met j1ers.

Have been to off the wagon a good bit, crackin place, but have yet to meet any J1-ers there, same said for Webster.

I'm finding Greenwich Village the best area for nights out at the weekend. Great atmosphere, and class to just hop from bar to bar.

Check out 1849 on a friday/sat. night, very good place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Kinda OT lads but whats the generally easiest way to get a working visa to get to NY ? I heard someone mention GAA clubs which i'd be looking to get involved with anyways.

I've asked this on travel too so don't move it MOD please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Faith wrote:
    Mine got me a job. Nice!
    Ditto!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Well it sucks having an Irish accent in China! And I wouldn't even consider mine that strong. The Americans and Brits I was with had much stronger accents (like Bristol and the like) and they were understood perfectly but I only ever got "the look"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

haha. Yeh. I know the 'look'. Thats all I ever get. Havent been to America yet but I always get the look around Europe even and Asia.

Advertisement