Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart website

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential.php says it's 4meg. I'd say it's just a mistake on the homepage. I can't really tell anymore, as I was dropped to 3meg due to line issues at higher speed :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Weird. There's been no response to the question on the support forum either. I find it hard to believe they'd change the standard speed without an announcement or press release on the homepage. My speeds are unchanged however. My line is not quite able for the full 4Mb either but I still get a stable 3.5.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they are lowering the advertised speed to 3Mb, as I suspect in a lot of cases they aren't able to fulfil 4Mb due to poor line quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Just called them

New packages are 3/5/7 Megs - entry level is 3 meg.

Asked why the change - Answer - People did not want 4 megs as an entry level package - what a load of bull

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What about the people already on 4Mb? Will we get downgraded to 3Mb?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just called them

New packages are 3/5/7 Megs - entry level is 3 meg.

Asked why the change - Answer - People did not want 4 megs as an entry level package - what a load of bull

Not necessarily - an amazing amount of people who just want the net for surfing emails etc will not give two hoots as to whether the speed is 3 or 4Mb and proably due to line issues the 4Mb is more trouble than its worth. A lot of people like myself and other posters here are being brought back to a 3Mb product anyways to avoid constant disconnects. Maybe there is also a financial saving for Smart in not providing the 4Mb as a matter of course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote:
    A lot of people like myself and other posters here are being brought back to a 3Mb product anyways to avoid constant disconnects. Maybe there is also a financial saving for Smart in not providing the 4Mb as a matter of course?

The 4Mb was brought in after the buyout etc. and price rise IIRC. They have probably brought the basic down to 3 and can now charge for upgrades to 4 etc. I would think it just makes it easier for them. It is still excellent value. I am beginning to tire of NTL and my move to Smart, even if it is 3Mb...

Edit: It still costs €40p/m and is advertised at 3Mb, they must have dropped the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

byte wrote:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential.php says it's 4meg. I'd say it's just a mistake on the homepage. I can't really tell anymore, as I was dropped to 3meg due to line issues at higher speed :(

But http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php states its 3Mb

One of the admins on the Smart forum has responded to say that existing users shouldn't be affected by the new (slower) speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One of the admins on the Smart forum has responded to say that existing users shouldn't be affected by the new (slower) speeds.

Its nice they respond to broadband related requests, they've given up on all VoIP questions on smart076.ie ...its just full of spam now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yes the Smart076 forum was full of spam, but happily they've solved the problem; the forum's been completely removed :eek: : www.smart076.ie (The Forum link is at the top right.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

dub45 wrote:
    Not necessarily - an amazing amount of people who just want the net for surfing emails etc will not give two hoots as to whether the speed is 3 or 4Mb and proably due to line issues the 4Mb is more trouble than its worth. A lot of people like myself and other posters here are being brought back to a 3Mb product anyways to avoid constant disconnects.
    Yeah, I agree.

A 3Mbit service is still OK for €40 pm. Even at that, the 3Mbit seems to be over-compensated as it can connect around 3.5Mbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Heres the thing, alot of people where actually getting a poorer service by trying to force 4mb then they where on 3mb, so it makes perfect sense to give users the lower speed as basic.

Anyone have any links on the new packages, especially relating to upload speed.

New Packages as follows :

3MB/256K – €39.18 – plus all local and national calls €44.18

5MB/384K - €44.18 – Plus all local and National Calls €49.18

6MB/512K - €49.18 – Plus all local and national calls €54.18

7MB/640K - €54.18 – Plus all local and national calls €59.18

All including Line Rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

why do they insist on having these craptastic upload speeds?

on a 3072/384 connection now - downloading at full speed uses up just over half my upstream bandwidth. why doesn't any ISP have a pick and mix option, that you can just buy 64k blocks in each direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dankoozy wrote:
    why do they insist on having these craptastic upload speeds?

on a 3072/384 connection now - downloading at full speed uses up just over half my upstream bandwidth. why doesn't any ISP have a pick and mix option, that you can just buy 64k blocks in each direction

Downloading at full speed uses none of your upload bandwidth, hence the term downloading. Of course there are control messages passed back and forth which will require some upstream capacity, but nothing like half the upstream.

Your idea about variable block size would require alot of messing about at the DSLAM.

Can anyone tell me what is the upload speed on the current 8 Meg package please ?

Can anyone tell me what is the upload speed on the current 8 Meg package please ?

Afaik it's 256Kps for all the packages. Or least that's what they tell you over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

its officially 512kb but i'm getting 605kb :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oracle wrote:
    Yes the Smart076 forum was full of spam, but happily they've solved the problem; the forum's been completely removed :eek: : www.smart076.ie (The Forum link is at the top right.)

well removing the forum altogether will certainly sort the spam problem, shame the didn't update their site to remove the link to it,

I get the feeling this service is as good as dead with Smart, such a shame too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I hope the Smart076 service isn't dying soon, I'm still using it, its working very well. I think it's great. I know there's a lot of VoIP service providers out there, but I think Smart076 is the cheapest and easiest for those starting out. I haven't seen a better deal than this for an ATA: http://www1.smart076.ie/offer.htm includes €15 call credit. Just for registering you get free VoIP software and an 076 number. I know their VoIP calling rates are not the cheapest but you can change the settings and switch, or add a second line with a cheaper provider to the ATA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Slightly ot here: if I want to change to smart from NTL/ Eircom do I have to change my landline number or can it be ported over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dave6195 wrote:
    Slightly ot here: if I want to change to smart from NTL/ Eircom do I have to change my landline number or can it be ported over?
    ComReg and eircom's self-congratulatory press releases imply that you can switch without changing number, however (despite the fact that that's apparently available for almost a year) I have yet to hear of someone who's managed it.

Not being able to do it suits eircom down to the ground, since it means that business won't go for the cheaper/better package if it means their business cards, ads, stationery, websites, online directory listings and their customers' personal phone books all need to be updated.

If you do manage it, you might let us know......otherwise this supposed progress is pure fiction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In other words ring Comreg and ask them what the official postions is now on this very important issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

GLUMP as its called enables a user to move their number along with their broadband and Smart, BT and Magnet all now support it (these are the companies with LLU hardware in the exchanges) - I know of a few people who have done this successfully.

So it is possible to move your number from eircom to Smart - or as Smart found out last september to move from Smart back to eircom - sad they drove the whole issue through then it was used against them :-(

Very few operators have a porting agreement with NTL so if you want to move your phone number from Smart to NTL you have to move to eircom and then to NTL.

I think Blueface have a porting agreement with NTL so you might be able to move number to Blueface and then port to NTL - but why bother Blueface is better than NTL, who come in a close second to BT for worst provider on the planet in terms of customer care & billing

Advertisement