Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Mix collaboration - your suggestions go here

Options
  • 01-06-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Right folks! Its that time of the month again. This thread is to see what the consensus is on what our June mix project should consist of, and to see who is willing to contribute.

So first off, a quick poll - do we want to do an original, a cover or a remix? Please vote and post your suggestions and what you are willing to contribute (instrumental tracks, drum loops, mastering skills, ability to source cheap coke'n'hookers, etc)

So give your 2 cents here and we'll come to some sort of consensus!

What sort of masterpiece will we work on? 11 votes

An original
    0% 0 votes
    A cover
    54% 6 votes
    A remix
    36% 4 votes
    Other (please specify in thread)
    9% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I think something that'll get everyone involved. Are we gonna be trading tracks or downloading a template?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

TelePaul wrote:
    I think something that'll get everyone involved.

Yes, I think thats the most important thing to consider at this stage.
    Are we gonna be trading tracks or downloading a template?

I'm open to suggestion on this. Someone needs to get the ball rolling, e.g. with a full length accompaniment/melody or a few bars of drums or something. Once we have that then we'll have the key/tonality and tempo decided upon. Anyone else who then wants to get involved can then chip in whatever they like - we can exchange 320kbps mp3 files via www.box.net or something, so it wouldn't be specific to Cubase, Logic or whatever.

Anyway, this thread is initially just to get people's opinions on what we should/shouldn't do - so keep the ideas coming!

I'm gonna unsticky this for a while in the hope more people will see it.

Any further interest?

Where is everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

So, whats this all about then?

• Advertisement

Okay gentlemen, three is enough to get the ball rolling, no? I'll have some stuff by Monday, probably a rough drum template...so generally speaking, fats or slow? We can decide on whether to track a cover or an original later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Or we could select a creative commons licensed track from here
    http://ccmixter.org/
    and have a mix-off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

I could do with the practice so I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

Just need a nudge in the genre direction..

So are we going down the mix-off road? I can put a drum loop together now otherwise.

• Advertisement

Go for it TP - we can do the mix-off another time.

Oh yay, here we go :)

I'll throw together a few synth melodies once the drums are done. Who's gonna volunteer to do the arranging and/or mixing and PP?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I completely missed this while it was stickied. :p

I'll throw something at this once the basics are down. Something very subtle. Almost inaudible. Imperceptible. :D

Niall's doing the fairy dust :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i actally did finsh the joy division cover for last months project when i had some free time but never posted it up anywhere.

cant promise ill get around to contributing this month but would prefer to do a cover instead of an original which will inevitably get complicated.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Id be happy to contribute. Live gtrs or something. Maybe some string arrangements, whatever.

Okay, I'm sacrificing lethal weapon 4 for this! Some up-tempo generic rock beats I think....how should I post it? Should I e-mail it someone via yousendit? Cornb maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

This sounds really cool, I'm in. What is needed??

brettzy wrote:
    This sounds really cool, I'm in. What is needed??

Well I'm doing the drums...it'll be up-tempo and I'll try work a basic structure. I'm, not too hot with anything else, maybe a very basic guitar part but I think once the drums are done, we should decide on a Key and chordal structure, possibly a melody line too. We can do the drums first because they contribute no melodic content.

Seeing as this is an original, we will need, and this is by no means exhaustive:

Drums
    Bass
    Acoustic (Lead/Rhythm?)
    Electric (Lead/Rhythm?)
    Vocals!!
    More vocals!
    Piano
    Strings
    Soft Synths/General Weirdness
    Someone to mix
    Someone to Master??? Or at least master-limit the life out of it!

Stick me down for any piano parts! Once there's some drum loops up I'll stick some piano on them, even better if there's already a key and chord pattern decided on.

• Advertisement

Okay I think I'll work on three loops the first should be ready by tonight, it's 150 BPM heavy rock. I think we should post all three and vote on the one we like most.

All track's done. Details as follows:

Track 1
    Style: Rock Ballad
    Tempo: 75 BPM
    Structure:

Bars 1-8 = Intro
    Bars 9-16= 1st Verse
    Bars 17-20 = Chorus
    Bars 21-28 = 2nd Verse
    Bars 29-32 = Chorus
    Bars 33-40 = Bridge
    Bars 41-48 = 3rd Verse
    Bars 49-52 = Chorus
    Bars 53-56 = Outro Chorus

Notes: Slow. 80's. Bon Jovi was my inspiration. Suit keys/synths. Long bridge for epic guitar solo.

Track 2
    Style: Generic Pop
    Tempo: 120 BPM
    Structure:

Bars 1-8 = Intro
    Bars 9-24 = 1st Verse
    Bars 25-28 = Interlude (witheld chorus)
    Bars 29-44 = 2nd Verse
    Bars 45 -52 = Chorus
    Bars 53-68 = Bridge
    Bars 69-84 = 3rd Verse
    Bars 85-92 = Chorus
    Bars 93-100 = Outro Chorus

Notes: Generic pop, folk-rock. Would suit most instruments. Note 4 bars of witheld chorus - keeps em guessin! :)

Track 3
    Style: Hard Rock
    Tempo: 150 BPM
    Structure:

Bars 1-16 = Intro
    Bars 17-32 = First Verse
    Bars 33-40 = First Chorus
    Bars 41-56 = Second Verse
    Bars 57-64 = Second Chorus
    Bars 65-80 = Middle 16 (Bridge/Solo)
    Bars 81-96 = Third Verse
    Bars 97-104 = Third Chorus
    Bars 105-112 = Outro Chorus

Notes: Dark, roomy drums. Fast Tempo. Better for guitarists.

Can all be downloaded at http://www.box.net/shared/y7za90nsnf
    Sorry if the quality aint up to scratch, exhausted from work. :(

It might be an idea to register at www.box.net and host your files there, make them public, and link to them from here. That way everyone can listen and use em to start on something themselves. Better off to just send MIDI or MP3s at this stage as WAV/AIFF would be a bit bulky at this stage.

Nice work!

I'd say stick it up on a share site, think www.box.net was suggested, that way we can all have a listen to how things are going, so long as everybody knows who's up next to contribute.

Okay I'll get em up by tomorrow night hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

This should be fun!

bumping, tracks are doen, see link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Ok, Ill stick down a bass line to one and ill happily add instrumentation(strings/ ebow and fx) to the bridge of the others. Hows that?
    Should we make a list of who's doin what so we don't double up or whats the plan?

Ok, Ill stick down a bass line to one and ill happily add instrumentation(strings/ ebow and fx) to the bridge of the others. Hows that?
    Should we make a list of who's doin what so we don't double up or whats the plan?

Hold up a sec. Glad you like the tracks, but I think it's best we focus on one for now. I also think agreeing on melodic content is the first step, before we break out our marshalls fenders and e bows (e bows rock).

So to make sure we're all singing from the same hym sheet....what track will it be? Choose the backing, propose a chordal structure and we'll take it from there.

• Advertisement

I like the 150bpm if we're going for something a bit rocky, it has a bit of balls.

The 75bpm is nice if we're doing something a bit more acoustic/electronic/ambient/laid back.

The 120bpm is a bit middle of the road. And driving on the middle of the road is dangerous.

So my vote is for the 150 or 75. Nice work by the way.

Advertisement