Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Mix collaboration - your suggestions go here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I like the 150bpm if we're going for something a bit rocky, it has a bit of balls.

The 75bpm is nice if we're doing something a bit more acoustic/electronic/ambient/laid back.

The 120bpm is a bit middle of the road. And driving on the middle of the road is dangerous.

So my vote is for the 150 or 75. Nice work by the way.

I like the 75 myself, more my thing. Though the 150 is kinda Sabbath, Purple that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I just jumped the gun and lashed out a quick rocky bass line to the 150BPM one. Nice and straightforward. In E with a G A G A E chorus and mid eight in D n A as far as I recall. Very straightforward. Has a reoccuring little riff thats Bb A G E x3. Don't mind scrapping it if your not into it but here ye go...

http://www.box.net/shared/8n0oyzn201

Have a listen with the drum track too though as this is the bass track on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Excellent, things are moving!! I'll do some synth fills or something like that tomorrow. Are we going with 150bpm so? I'd be happy with that or the 75, whatever the consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

After a bit of a think, and after putting myself down for piano duties, I'd prefer the 75 too, but hey, that's what midi merge is for!

75 or 150? 75 or 150? Cornb you're the mod, you choose!!!

• Advertisement

Ahhhh the responsibility! :D

Lets go for the 150 so, its a bit livelier like that. Maybe we can get the whole thing critiqued on the Songwriting forum when its done ;)

I just jumped the gun and lashed out a quick rocky bass line to the 150BPM one. Nice and straightforward. In E with a G A G A E chorus and mid eight in D n A as far as I recall. Very straightforward. Has a reoccuring little riff thats Bb A G E x3. Don't mind scrapping it if your not into it but here ye go...

http://www.box.net/shared/8n0oyzn201

Have a listen with the drum track too though as this is the bass track on its own.

Looks like you got the gig mate. Can you bang up a chord chart for the musically inept here? :o

I'd say, better still, whoever is doing gtr or keys comes up with something and we work from there. That thing I did was very rushed and can be easily bettered. No point in starting out with a mediocre chord progression.
    I'll post it if yis really want to go ahead with it though.

My two cents, after having a couple of days to think about it would be that the 150BPM Hard Rock doesn't lend itself to much in the way of experimentation. Its gonna end up being a 2gtr bass and drums straight up rock tune whereas there is a lot more room for variation and more peoples contributions with the other two.

But I'll help out wherever yis let me. On any of them!

I'd say, better still, whoever is doing gtr or keys comes up with something and we work from there. That thing I did was very rushed and can be easily bettered. No point in starting out with a mediocre chord progression.
    I'll post it if yis really want to go ahead with it though.

My two cents, after having a couple of days to think about it would be that the 150BPM Hard Rock doesn't lend itself to much in the way of experimentation. Its gonna end up being a 2gtr bass and drums straight up rock tune whereas there is a lot more room for variation and more peoples contributions with the other two.

But I'll help out wherever yis let me. On any of them!

Thats the spirit :) Do whatever you're up for. I'm gonna do some sort of acid bassy synth fills, and maybe a few pads, but I'm gonna wait to see what someone comes up with some sort of lead melody first so I can shape it appropriately. I'd chance it on guitar myself but I got way too rusty way too long ago.

So far we have:
    TelePaul's drums
    artvandulet's bassline
    Niall's doing piano
    I'm doing synth pads/fills
    (fill me in if I've missed anyone)

So we need someone to do:
    Lead melody/melodies
    Guitars
    Vocals
    Other instruments
    Editing/arrangement
    Mixing
    Mastering

So come on lurkers, have we any more volunteers amongst you?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You should stick this in the Songwriter forum too corn, bet there'd be plenty of people willing to whip some acoustic chord progressions down, and you're more likely to get somebody to do the vocals there too.

By the way what's the story with reverb? Should all our parts be dry and the guy who's mixing decides on the reverb and compression etc?

• Advertisement

Well I think we can establish a few things about the rhythm/lead guitars.
    It's heavy, so we'll be relying on fifth chords and a pentatonic riff. I think using the synths to emphasise the major and minor elemnts would work well.

cornbb wrote:

So far we have:
    TelePaul's drums
    artvandulet's bassline
    Niall's doing piano
    I'm doing synth pads/fills
    (fill me in if I've missed anyone)

So we need someone to do:
    Lead melody/melodies
    Guitars
    Vocals
    Other instruments
    Editing/arrangement
    Mixing
    Mastering
    Dont' Forget Lyrics!

I'd be happy to take a stab at some harmony vox and a bit of 'other instruments';) too.

So what is the final choice of song anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

I'll sign up for guitars, acoustic and/or electric.

Will it be mix-off at the end or is only one person taking on the job???

You should stick this in the Songwriter forum too corn, bet there'd be plenty of people willing to whip some acoustic chord progressions down, and you're more likely to get somebody to do the vocals there too.

Nice idea, done!
    By the way what's the story with reverb? Should all our parts be dry and the guy who's mixing decides on the reverb and compression etc?

I guess that depends on how you want your part to sound - usually it would be left til the mixing stage but if your track calls for a specific type of reverb there'd be no harm in doing it during the recording/composition stage.
    brettzy wrote:
    Will it be mix-off at the end or is only one person taking on the job???

We're still awaiting a volunteer for that task ;)
    So what is the final choice of song anyway?

Anything goes really but looks like we're going for the 150bpm piece with TelePaul's drums and your bassline.

cornbb wrote:

Anything goes really but looks like we're going for the 150bpm piece with TelePaul's drums and your bassline.

Yeah the bass soudned good, if you wanna clean it up and retrack that's fine.

Ok I'll redo that and repost it with chord chart.
    Before I do that though,
    Question? The last drum fill - I can't work out the timing here. It changes from 4/4 right at the end. There's a cymbal crash in there that keeps catching me out. Can you double check this?

Ok I'll redo that and repost it with chord chart.
    Before I do that though,
    Question? The last drum fill - I can't work out the timing here. It changes from 4/4 right at the end. There's a cymbal crash in there that keeps catching me out. Can you double check this?

The VERY last bit? Yeah it's still 4/4 but the empahsis changes, you may wanna just adjust to emphasis the hits and fade out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Done and dusted.

TelePaul wrote:
    The VERY last bit? Yeah it's still 4/4 but the empahsis changes, you may wanna just adjust to emphasis the hits and fade out.
    It sounds like those 5 cymbal crashes come in half a beat to late.Theres a rest there that shouldn't be. Maybe its just me!!:confused:
    Love it otherwise though :D:D

I'll just play along to it anyway.

It sounds like those 5 cymbal crashes come in half a beat to late.Theres a rest there that shouldn't be. Maybe its just me!!:confused:
    Love it otherwise though :D:D

I'll just play along to it anyway.

Will check now.

• Advertisement

my bass is temporarily out of commision. so as not to delay you heres the bass line done in reason so the rest of you can get on with it. I'll rerecord a live bass later on if you want. Or you can of course scrap it all together:D
    Im happy to do something else entirely.

http://www.box.net/shared/9n4yxu6be2

Because its just a bass line - the chord structure is really up to the guitarists.
    But basically Ive done this:
    Intro - E
    Verse - E
    Chorus - G A G A E
    Mid8 - D - E - D - E - D - B - C - E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I was gonna offer my bass services! :( oh well, next time mebbe!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

How much live instrumentation will there be?
    I'm lurking away here, I'll provisonally offer to mix it, depending on how the song is shaping up.

Parsley wrote:
    I was gonna offer my bass services! :( oh well, next time mebbe!

Overdub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If I can find time, I'll try an alternate mix. Let teamdresch be the official mixer though - I might not be able to get to it.

Bump!

How is this going?

Is anything actually happening? Did the 150bpm tune put people off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Is anything actually happening? Did the 150bpm tune put people off?
    Bump!

Dunno - but that kick drum sounds a bit muddy to me...

squibs wrote:
    Dunno - but that kick drum sounds a bit muddy to me...

You really think so? I think the exact opposite, seems too crisp to me. Although my favourite drums are from Harvest by Neil Young; with tea towels over the skins.

• Advertisement

I'll contribute my bit soon, promise :o

Up the walls at the moment what with work and moving house.

Advertisement