Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Mix collaboration - your suggestions go here

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yeah tis falling by the way side a bit. Bi mobthly mix/collab seems to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by squibs
    Dunno - but that kick drum sounds a bit muddy to me...

You really think so? I think the exact opposite, seems too crisp to me. Although my favourite drums are from Harvest by Neil Young; with tea towels over the skins.

It was a joke -
    when you say bump it sounds like a kick drum
    so you say bump and I say sounds a bit muddy....
    I'll get my coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Baddum-Tschhhh!

Hmm, needs more compression.

BADDUM-TSCHHHH!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

cornbb wrote:
    Baddum-Tschhhh!

BADDUM-TSCHHHH!

I totally got that!!!!
    I wouldn't have a few months ago.

THIS FORUM WORKS KIDS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

cornbb wrote:
    Baddum-Tschhhh!

BADDUM-TSCHHHH!

Actually, it'd be :

baddum-tschhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

cornbb wrote:
    Baddum-Tschhhh!

BADDUM-TSCHHHH!

HA! I always knew pro-audio and humour could find common ground. But I never knew it could be good! Cornbb, resident electronicist and comedian!

That joke was so bad I hink you gave me cancer....yep, you gave me cancer.

Not to be a hard ass but does anyone fancy steppin up for a guitar part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

well this was a huge success :rolleyes:

well this was a huge success :rolleyes:

I did MY bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Lads - no point in recriminations.

For the record (pun intended), I had a crack at the guitar part but I found the bass a little busy - some of the fills seemed to clash with the chords I was putting on top, so I gave up :(

• Advertisement

Hmm, I was reluctant to go near the guitar part as the cobwebs on my guitar probably have cobwebs on them by now (well that might be a *slight* exaggeration ;)) by maybe I'll tackle it if no-one else is willing to give it a go. Else I'll come up with a lead synth part in lieu of guitar. As soon as I've finished moving and unpacking my gear of course!

Anyone else intending to do more with this?

squibs wrote:
    Lads - no point in recriminations.

For the record (pun intended), I had a crack at the guitar part but I found the bass a little busy - some of the fills seemed to clash with the chords I was putting on top, so I gave up :(

thats the problem with recording the bass and drums first. Should have started out with keys or guitar to get a feel for the song before working out rhythm parts.
    We'll learn for next time.

thats the problem with recording the bass and drums first. Should have started out with keys or guitar to get a feel for the song before working out rhythm parts.
    We'll learn for next time.

Traditionally drums and bass are recorded first, 99% of the time it's the way to go. I think in our case, the problem was with an overall melody or chordal structure.

TelePaul wrote:
    Traditionally drums and bass are recorded first, 99% of the time it's the way to go. I think in our case, the problem was with an overall melody or chordal structure.

I know they are recorded first, but rarely, almost never, written first. Thats what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mick1973

Hello Peeps,

Off work with chest infection, so I might have a stab at the guitar - if it's muck it can be binned - hope I'm not stepping on anbody's toes. If it sounds bad I'll blame the antibiotics !

Fire away, the more the merrier!

Mick, if the bass line is causing problems, ditch it, record your own guitar line and I'll rerecord a bass over it.

I know they are recorded first, but rarely, almost never, written first. Thats what I mean.

But drums are percussive....tempo matters, VERY rarely the beat or composition.

Mick, if the bass line is causing problems, ditch it, record your own guitar line and I'll rerecord a bass over it.

The bassline is grand - except the lick / refrain - seems to be happening a bit often - I might keep some and ditch just a couple of beats.

Drums are good though. I cheated a bit - got the 75 BPM and the 150 BPM and have been layering one over the other at different points and for the 'chorus' have been dropping to 75bpm drums.

Trying to not go down the RRRRRRok road for now anyway !

Tough going today - The antibiotics are causing havoc with the andrex !

TelePaul wrote:
    But drums are percussive....tempo matters, VERY rarely the beat or composition.

Surely the composition is all important. No harm having the drums done first - just a different way of writing - drag us all out of our little @ss groove on the sofa !

www.myspace.com/thefuzzypapers - all insults / criticism welcome !

• Advertisement

Mick1973 wrote:
    Surely the composition is all important. No harm having the drums done first - just a different way of writing - drag us all out of our little @ss groove on the sofa !

If you have a particular groove - Walk This Way - then drum composition is important. More often than not the drums sit in their own little pocket in the mix.

People.....Took the whole afternoon / evening, but I got something done. Whether or not people like it remains to be seen - I've done my 'best.'

All are mixed without effects (aside from distortion / wah)

Have fun.....

http://www.box.net/shared/zcho2qia5p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I can access the files and they seem to play but no sound!! The sound is working on my Mac so it's not that. Can others hear this?

I thought the same initially but there's just a little bit of silence before the music kicks in.

Nice work Mick!

I'll try to have a crack at arranging everything in the next few days - but I'm not the most reliable so if anyone else is up for arranging/mixing, feel free to have a crack at it!

Quattroste wrote:
    I can access the files and they seem to play but no sound!! The sound is working on my Mac so it's not that. Can others hear this?

I just left a bit of a count in - in c ase anyone wants to add atmospheric stuff / or just to give peeps a bt of time before playing.

Mick seems like you've done a ton of work on this, well done. Don't have time to listen to it all tonight but well done.

TelePaul wrote:
    Mick seems like you've done a ton of work on this, well done. Don't have time to listen to it all tonight but well done.

Jeez - no compliments till you've heard it - that way we'all be spared embarassment when you make a retraction !!!

Advertisement