Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boys in Blue get luxury BMW

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

ned78 wrote:
    I can't verify anything. Sorry lads, but whatever deal the Gardaí have done with the Revenue with regards to VAT and VRT is their own business.

The Gardai never pay VRT/VAT or road tax on their cars as they are exempt. So are the military, fire brigade, ambulance and coast guard vehicles (and possibly civil defence but they hardly ever get brand new vehicles, mostly army hand me downs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I think it's a fantastic idea, should have happened sooner.

Of course the Joe Duffy brigade will be talking the usual ****e about "Garda luxury cars", etc, but the fact is these cars will be ordered without any luxury equipment at all and half of the standard equipment will be taken out anyway.

These are the same people who will complain about the guards when their house or business is robbed and the criminals make off down the M50 in an Impreza while the guard has to try and use a van or a 1.6 Avensis to catch them. As far as I know the Foresters aren't even Turbo models :eek:

Also, given that there will be no VRT or tax on the cars the state won't be paying anywhere near list price, probably closer to 40k than 70k.

The Skoda Octavia VRS would be good but no way would a turbocharged petrol engine last as long as a diesel, while probably getting half the mpg.

My only complaint is that they should have bought a fleet of 535D's instead, there's still plenty of cars that will outrun a 530D, or a 525i.

Also senior Guards don't get drivers, possibly the Commissioner and Assistant Commr but that's it.

Advertisement