Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs You'd like played at your own funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Gotta be:

Funeral Coda - Elliot Goldenthal . This song features on the film Michael Collins and is the classical music you hear in the background at the end where real footage of his funeral is shown. Amazing music

Pyramid Song - Radiohead

Sleep - The Dandy Warhols

I dont want anyone in a good mood at my funeral :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Seeing as though there wouldn't be a dry eye in the place maybe 'Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops- The Cocteau Twins.

I foresee a lot of dark sun-glasses so 'Waitin For The Man' -Velvet Underground.

Then I as decend into the pits of hell 'Misguided Angel' by The Cowboy Junkies.

And finally, as they all head of to read the will-'Lawers,Guns and Money' by Warren Zevon with whom I'll be sharing a large Jack Daniels with by then!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mir-boy

Friend of the night by Mogwai cos its really sad
    and Freebird by Lyknrd Skynrd cos its cheesy
    One of my mates said he would play "Its rainin men" at my funeral which would be pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lu22*

i dont know the name of the song but the lyrics say

take me to the magic of the morning on a glory night, where the children of tomorrow dream away in the winds of change,

some thing like that thinks its called winds of change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 timmyyyy4

Jeff Buckley Halleluia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Artist: Green, Peter
    Song: Bring Out the Gimp [Dialogue] / Comanche

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

George Harrison- My sweet lord....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LFNe3Uw-w

beatles free as a bird....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMV8BVMEak

ocs robin hood..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Come back by the foo fighters. Mainly because the words "I will come back" are repeated a million times towards the end of the song. Freak the b@stards out. Then just as the song ends I'd have a small tape deck in the coffin to play a loud banging noise as if I was banging on the coffin to get out. That would really freak the fúckers out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Very good choice.
    Ruling Class by loose fur is my new choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

'Another one bites the dust' by queen

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I would love to play something funny but in reality it would probably have to be Jeff Buckleys - Halellujia (Never was that good at spelling). Not meaning to sound big headed or anything but it obviously will be the saddest day the world has ever had expierienced. Need to set a mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Anthony & the johnsons - hope theres someone

Alternatively Satan by orbital!!!

Both real tear jerkers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Anything by Radiohead or Mr. Buckley is always a sound choice. I think I'd like to have Goin' Back by Dusty Springfield. Gorgeous lyrics. Then here i go again by whitesnake as i roll into the oven...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

id love flight of the valkyries played by an orchestra with a wind machine facing them as im lowered into the ground...
    or that amelie yann tiersen comptine song, or needle in the hay by elliott smith. or names by cat power. or funny little frog by belle and sebastien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barpierce

Tchaikovsky, 1812 overture........what better way to send someone off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barpierce

Or else the theme music from match of the day, no one would expect that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm sorry if someone has said this already but Alive by Pearl Jam. Or I'll be watching you by the Police.

But I wouldn't mind if this happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Bubs101 wrote:
    Live forever is the only one for me

You mean "Who Wants to Live Forever" by Queen? If so, great choice!

lu22* wrote:
    i dont know the name of the song but the lyrics say

take me to the magic of the morning on a glory night, where the children of tomorrow dream away in the winds of change,

some thing like that thinks its called winds of change?

Wind of Change- Scorpions ;)

• Advertisement

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Jaco Pastorius - Forgotten Love

I'm a big softy, this song just gets me. Its very beautiful, it has no words but it doesnt matter. Such a sad song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 onaip

Went to the funeral of a mate last year, he had chosen 'The show must go on' by Queen. Not a dry eye in the place.

Personally, I always thought The Cutting Crew's 'died in your arms tonight (I just)' would work a treat, especially if you were having a very prompt funeral.

Odd thing is, I've never been to a funeral where music was played- where do they do it? The church, the cemetery, ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

bostonian wrote:
    Odd thing is, I've never been to a funeral where music was played- where do they do it? The church, the cemetery, ...?

Really ? Music is generally played at Church services. Generall they let the family choose whatever music they want , although having said that , I guess it depends on the priest , some of them are really stuffy & weird.
    Of course some people dispense with the whole church thing and just have a wake.
    I don't know about playing music in Cemeteries, I've never come across that here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Exit Music, definately. It'd get everyone nicely depressed...its almost poetic...

On a different note, its sunny today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I don't know about playing music in Cemeteries, I've never come across that here in Ireland.

At a funeral a few years ago, there was a girl at the grave with a guitar and she sang Elvis Presley's "My Way".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niallo22

Journey "Dont stop believing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

The Man comes Around - Johnny Cash or Another Lonely Day - Ben Harper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Perhaps not a final song but a dying wish that someone go to Whelans on Saturday night, find the DJ and the tape that hes been using for the last 10 years and scream at him "This Charming Man" is not the only song The Smiths ever released.

Advertisement