Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive Third Level UCD Students?

Options
  • 01-06-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi

A quick story that made me think that UCD students are spoiled, abusive and superior. Im of course a student in UCD and I was queing at the post office the other day. A student went up with a letter and had a special request for it. The post office lady said it couldnt be done and gave a valid reason apparently. The student then went off and reported the post office lady to customer care for "not letting her do what she wanted". (I ask, why would the post office lady refuse a service). Anyway later the post office lady was upset and flustered and couldnt understand why someone she had tried to help her as best she could would go to the trouble of reporting her and jeprodising her job.
    Anyway, it really makes you think about how obnoxious and self invloved UCD students are. Its a shame I am one.

Just a little story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Now in all fairness that student was just one person and probably a member of several demographics, stereotyping any of them based on that one person's actions isn't very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

How does that prove UCD students are obnoxious and self involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Considering you've showed us the scenario of one obnoxious student and one not (yourself). I hardly think your conclusion regarding all UCD students is a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

ok, im sorry. Some UCD students, or this one in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

aw I like the post office lady but I have seen students behaving in a very courteous manner towards staff, nobody seems to start a thread about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I think that particular story is appalling, but it demonstrates one thing- 'some' students are wenchtastic, and to be honest there's a flipside and some staff are too. The stinker of a letter that the library are getting from me once my exams are done being an example of it. It doesn't matter whether your status is staff, student or anything else, some people have no manners and no comprehension of how to deal with people in any sort of respectful or polite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

UCD Student Involved In Some-People-Are-Mean Shocker!

Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

I saw a UCD student feeding oil to the swans. You can all expect a solicitors letter over this, every ****ing one of you little scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ya actually I too saw some UCD students being mean to the swans. Trying to feed them everything under the catagory of "Do not feed to swans"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

A friend of mine soaked some whiskey into bread and fed it to the ducks.

Is it wrong that I find that hilarious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Fremen wrote:
    A friend of mine soaked some whiskey into bread and fed it to the ducks.

Is it wrong that I find that hilarious?

Yes it is wrong and you are sick if you find it funny. I don't care if I get banned for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Start the Presses !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

stop the lights!
    who says that the swans do or don't want alcohol???
    we are in no position to judge...

stop the lights!
    who says that the swans do or don't want alcohol???
    we are in no position to judge...
    Because alcohol doesn't do anyone good, let alone a swan. And although they have a liver to digest this kinda crap, they liver is made up completely differently to ours and at a insane guess, is smaller then ours too. Just cos we can handle whiskey, doesn't mean they can. Its sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

And although they have a liver to digest this kinda crap, they liver is made up completely differently to ours and at a insane guess, is smaller then ours too.

Delicious too. Foie gras anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Hi,

Thanks to whoever posted this for relating a story with no facts whatsoever and only one side of the issue(if even that). That student was me and for the sake of clarity I'll post the full details of what actually happened below.
    As I've stated below I was nothing but polite and was in fact very badly treated by the woman involved, no matter how much she may have tried to pretend otherwise.

I went to the post office with the intention of sending two passports with two visa application forms and 140 euro to the Thai Consulate in Dublin 14. The application forms stated that a "self addressed stamped registered envelope" was to be included with the application in order for the passports to be returned to me. I have two friends who recently had to do the same procedure to acquire visas and they told me that what they received as an envelope for the Consulate to return their passports to them in was "white with blue and green stickers on it and somewhere to write your address and theirs."

When I reached the top of the queue I was told abruptly that it was not possible to get any sort of a pre-paid registered envelope to be included for return in the large envelope that I was registering. This is despite the fact that I pointed out the place on the registration form where it says "Have you enclosed a self-addressed stamped registered envelope? Pre-paid coupon stamps or franked envelopes will not be accepted." ( http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/pdf/visaapplication.pdf)

Instead, I was given a normal brown envelope with a 5 euro stamp affixed and was told in no uncertain terms that this would suffice. I then left the Post Office having handed in the large registered post envelope with the brown envelope, passports, money order and visa applications inside.

However, once I had left I became worried and so contacted my two friends who had gone through the procedure recently. They assured me that they had indeed been able to obtain pre paid registered envelopes that looked nothing like the normal brown envelope with 5 euro regular stamp attached that I had received.

As I was extremely worried that this would not suffice (as the application form suggests) and that my passport would be returned to me by normal post instead of registered post (thus running the risk of being lost in the post - I can't risk it as I am leaving very soon) I decided to go back into the Post Office to inquire further, which I did.

Before, I phoned a personal friend who also works in the Post Office to ask what I should do. This is because I wanted to make sure that I was entitled to get what I was asking for and what I was being refused. This person then rang the UCD Post Office to advise them that I was coming back in and that they should look out for me to resolve the situation. They didn't give out in any way, but just said I was concerned and so was coming back in, but that it should be no problem. This was in no way "reporting someone" or "complaining", in either an official or unofficial way.

I was by this time standing quietly in the (very long) queue awaiting my turn in the Post Office. There were about 10 people in the queue and I was second from last. I had not attempted to skip the queue or to gain the attention of the woman involved before my turn was called. She then opened the glass double window used to put parcels through, pointed her finger at me and shouted "You wait your turn!!" in front of all the other people there.This was despite the fact that I had not attempted to do anything other than wait my turn in the first place.

A few minutes later I was then summoned as "The girl looking for the Thai Embassy" to the window at the front of the Post Office by the woman in question. Extremely loudly and in a manner that was audible to the rest of the people there, she shouted, "You've just reported me", to which I replied that I hadn't, and I was simply concerned as I did not want my passport to be returned to me by regular post. She then maintained that it was impossible to give me anything other than the brown envelope and stamp that I had first been provided with, but after some debate she then agreed to "bend the rules", she supposed, and provide me with another registered envelope to include in the large one that I had already successfully registered. She then gave me a white envelope with blue and green stickers attached (which fitted the description of the envelopes my friends had been given in other Post Offices) and told me to put my address in both the available sections on the envelope. Having since left the Post Office, I have discovered that I was supposed to put the Thai Consulate's address in one box, and my own in the other, but as I was advised incorrectly by this woman the letter has now been sent with my address in both boxes of the smaller registered envelope which will return the two passports to me.

I then completed the envelope as instructed, sealed the larger envelope again with everything inside, and returned to wait for it to be taken from me. It was 15:30 and the postman had arrived to collect the post and the registered post. As I was waiting, the postman asked me "Is that registered?" to which I replied that it was. He then said to give it to him and asked the woman in the Post Office if it was to be sent. She replied "No, absolutely not, that one's not going until tomorrow morning." I did not say anything even though I felt her decision to be personally motivated.

Again, extremely loudly, she began talking to the postman in front of me and the rest of the large queue. He asked her if it had been busy the previous day. She replied "Yes, very busy, but everyone was so nice yesterday" and looked pointedly at me. At this stage I was very embarrassed and upset. She then served another girl waiting in the queue and as she was leaving, called after her extremely loudly "Thankyou for your KINDNESS", again looking in my direction.

Following this experience I was very upset. I feel I was treated extremely rudely and that the woman involved had attempted to make a fool of me in front of the other customers. I was never rude to the woman involved but felt her attitude was unacceptable and that the treatment I got was entirely undeserved.

Since the incident I have found out officially from An Post that I was fully entitled to get what I was asking for and that the woman involved was wrong in her advice.

So like I said, the partial account above is completely inaccurate and paints me in a totally unfair light. If there's any possibility I'd like it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Yeah have to say I've never been impressed with the service I've gotten in the UCD Post Office, though nothing like that. Now I always use the one in Larchfield, Goatstown. Loveliest Post Office people ever there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I think this thread is particularly ironic because I always make an effort to be nice to staff because I imagine that they do get a hard time off a lot of people.

Saying all the above though I don't bear any particular malice towards the woman involved and I'm sure there could have been mitigating factors that made her act like that - the place was very busy and she was the only person on so maybe that stressed her out. Because of this I didn't make any complaint even after she was so rude. Live and let live etc. But I had to correct the inaccuracies in the original post.

That's all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ha, I read this thread yesterday and wondered what the other side of the story might be :)

Great to hear it explained Vainglory and I sympathise with you. Good to have it clarified, perhaps the OP won't be so quick to judge in future!

I remember as a student at NUIM, the staff of a certain off-campus bank were particularly rude and difficult with students a few years ago until the management changed, whereupon attitudes changed dramatically. Myself and Mrs. r3nu4l still closed our accounts once we started earning significant salaries and cited the previous rudeness towards us as poor students as the reason why. Sometimes staff in certain institutions have a superiority attitude over their customers. This may or may not be fostered by management or it may be an individual thing but it does happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I don't think you should let live. I think you should copy your post into an email, attach a short introduction that qualifies it as an official complaint, and send it to the UCD PO. She should be chastised for behaving like that, whether or not she was "having a bad day". "Having a bad day" is an excuse for personal rudeness. To let it affect your work is thoroughly unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

^ Damn straight.

This kind of crap goes unpunished far too often in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Agreed.

Now if only we could do the same for the arrogant rude asses who actually would be so unbelievably big headed and full of themselves to believe that they are above others.

I remember a particular incident in Bondi (yeah i know, but i was dragged) whereby a friend of mine was drunk and said something stupid to some Gonzaga boy. I being polite and embarrassed (and stone cold sober) by my friends actions went up to him and apologised for what she said even though it had merely been her turning him down. When I then turned him down this little eejit who was just out of school (he'd just graduated that day) had the nerve to turn around to me and tell me that I'd never get a guy as good as him and I should be thankful for the very idea that he'd even think of trying to score me.

Now I'm pretty sure that every guy I know is vastly superior in every way and didn't need a private school to make them that way. And before I get ranted at for dissing private schools; I have good friends who went to private schools and know people who are far more up themselves who went to public ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Wow... guys, chill out.

OP: there are dickheads in UCD just like everywhere else. I don't know Vainglory, but from his previous posts, i don't think he's a dickhead, somehow. Miscommunications, misunderstandings and unfortunate incidents happen. Staff don't get whats going on sometimes, just like consumers don't. Get over it.

Stepherunie, i don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but i'm pretty sure every guy you know is NOT superior to you in every way. Guys just like to think that way, it saves them the hassle of working out why a girl isnt in to them.

This thread has seem to become very introverted very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Mloc; I purely meant in relation to the guy I was speaking of, I'm not victorian, I give women equal status. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

@ mloc: Vainglory's a girl. :)

@ FionnMatthew: Right on. That kind of crap isn't tolerable.

@ Everyone in general: the UCD PO is a load of corrupt balls anyway. I get care packages sent here with pretty much the exact same content every other month and the price being charged seems to be pretty much made up on the spot. Last time I heard, to send a single magazine to Germany from there was €10 (despite having been €6.50 for a much bigger package two months before). An enormous package being sent from down the country cost less than €8.

They're a shambles, in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

@ Everyone in general: the UCD PO is a load of corrupt balls anyway. I get care packages sent here with pretty much the exact same content every other month and the price being charged seems to be pretty much made up on the spot. Last time I heard, to send a single magazine to Germany from there was €10 (despite having been €6.50 for a much bigger package two months before). An enormous package being sent from down the country cost less than €8.

I'm confused... You pay to receive it in UCD? if not, isn't it wherever the package is being sent from that's coming up with arbitrary prices? Sorry if i'm way off..

passive wrote:
    I'm confused... You pay to receive it in UCD? if not, isn't it wherever the package is being sent from that's coming up with arbitrary prices? Sorry if i'm way off..
    He's in Germany on erasmus so he means getting parcels sent from UCD to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

lol@thisthread. what are the odds?

Tbh, I've found as a general rule that business that deal primarily with students or are on campus are usually woeful. They don't think they need to be at the general level of civility that other businesses would require. Obviously they've found students are less likely to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm not sure if it's the same woman, but the woman i talk to in the office office has always been nice and friendly, and helpful when I'm trying to send stuff to Holland. Having said that, the guy in my local post office is notoriously mental, and liable to go schizo at you for not knowing how much it costs to send a birthday card to New Zealand off the top of your head! Actually, come to think of it, don't people who work in post offices have a bit of a rep for being weirdos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Advertisement