Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar gliders in Ireland?

Options
  • 01-06-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is researching owning a sugar glider - are they legal to own in Ireland, if so, where can you buy one and roughly how much are they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes you can legally own them - I have 5 & I belive I was one of the first people to bring them into the country about 7 years ago now.

as for where you get them - thats not easy - its a case of looking to see if a breeder has any for sale - I am looking for more females to increase my coloney. I paid £300 (sterling) for my first pair so I tend to charge €300 a pair. They live a long time & are a life long commitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Just wanted to add, that while they are a huge commitment and your really have to do you research on them, they are sooooo worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I am seeing conflicting stories as to how long you should spend with your glider each day to bond with them. Some say 2 hours, some say 6! How did you guys do it? Do you have to handle them a lot or is it ok to have them sit on your lap when you're watching tv or something like that?

Also - how are Irish vets with these sorts of animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not had to take any of mine to the vet (so far *touches wood*) I have to admit that mine are not really handled - they have a large cage & live as a colony - but to bond with a suggie you can put them into a bonding pouch all day long - I always carried a water bottle & some fruit in case they got peckish & have even wandered around tesco talking to my bag & saying SHUSHHHHHHH don't bark or crab etc! I got funny looks for talking to my bag but I don't care!

John Bainbridge has seen gliders before & knew what they were when I casually said I owned them.

A bonded pair can make the loveliest pets - the only down side is they are incontinant & will pee & poop when they need to - tiny amounts tho so no big deal. They are tiny so must not be allowed out unsupervised etc & they love wodent wheels. & they adore yougurt covered raisions for treats!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement