Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it was forty years ago today...

Options
  • 01-06-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

so, it seems that an album by some gang of scouse n'er do wells is forty years old today...

have to say, heard it for the first time in an age last night on Pet Sounds (even though i bought it when i was a lot younger than i am now) and I thought it was great to hear it.

Okay - it's still not, in my book, as good as Hard Days Night (pure pop pleasure) or Abbey Road (group imploding yet still producing cracking music) but it's alright. What's the consensus here?

Not 'do you think it's a classic album?', cos that question's been answered! Do you like it. And tell the truth...the George Harrison song...how many of you friggers press skip when it kicks off?!?! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

within without you is the best track.

The album should only be listened to in it's entireity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't get the praise the album gets, and I'm a huge Beatles fan.

I'd rate Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album higher. Maybe Rubber Soul too.

And yeah, finger moves toward the skip button when Within Without You comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you were to judge this album by the sum of the quality of its individual songs it wouldn't rate that highly. But as a concept and as a cohesive album it was amazing. Must give it a spin tonight!

I agree about Within You Without You btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Don't get the praise the album gets, and I'm a huge Beatles fan.

I'd rate Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album higher. Maybe Rubber Soul too.

And yeah, finger moves toward the skip button when Within Without You comes on.

see that's kinda what i'm getting at. Cornbb makes a good point, that as a cohesive unit it works quite well, but it's more the production than the songs that jump out at you.

Contrast with, as you say, Revolver or Abbey Road which have the kind of songs that didn't rely on as much trickery to still sound resonant. And hell, i'll go so far as to say there are days that I'll rate Hard Days Night above Pepper as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There are some excellent songs and some annoying songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Phenominal Album.

Just behind Abbey Rd in my rankings. Yeah has to be listened to all the way through.
    I always think Rubber Soul is a great album. Came out just before Revolver and you can hear them becoming a bit more 'experimantal' Interesting listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Great concept, overrated musically.

Rubber Soul is a better album.

Better albums that year include:

The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Their Satanic Majesties Request
    The Who sell out

That Kinks album with Waterloo Sunset that I can't remember the damned name of. Stupid slow brain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

All things considered, some good albums that year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its intersting that for about 20 years the album was considered to be good but not the Beatles best, then something happened and Rubber Soul/'the White Album' were knocked back a peg or two and Pepper was the 'one true album'.

It does'nt even win Best of '67 Award - Piper At the Gates of Dawn and Forever Changes both top it.

Mike.

Advertisement