Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95?

• 01-06-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭

thinking over the summer of getting a new phone
    i have a k800 which i have had for ages now

best phone i ever had and iv had lots of phones

but im looking a the nokia N95

looks cool

basically is it worth it

is it better than the k800 and in which ways

what cool stuff can the n95 do

and is the texting good in it, the texting in the k800 i found to be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

http://www.smemon.com/n95-feelings-after-my-first-day/

the n95 is the hottest property out right now. buy one and you won't regret it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

smemon wrote:
    http://www.smemon.com/n95-feelings-after-my-first-day/

the n95 is the hottest property out right now. buy one and you won't regret it. :)
    thanks for the link

but is this a good texting phone and whats the sat nav like

texting is fine, just like any other phone :)

you might find the buttons a little tight or barrel-like but you get used to it - no big deal.

I've big hands and fingers and i've no problem.

GPS tbh is more for pedestrians imo.. it takes a while to lock on to a position (like 20 seconds).. but it will then follow your position like any GPS and guide you to a location..

i certainly wouldn't use it as my main GPS system when in the car - i'd get a dedicated one.. but it's a handy little featire to have - particularly when going abroad and looking for directions ;)

You have to pay for voice directions which is the only downside.. but the maps/updates are free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

5 things so far bug me about the N95

1. The battery life is supposed to be crap

2. The 5 megapixel camera doesn't have optical zoom!

3. The price is outrageous - you'd buy a decent laptop for the same price!

4. The texting keys (i.e number keys) are supposed to be awkward and easy to slide your fingers off and onto the key above.

5. No qwerty keyboard as a third slide-out!

Basically, it packs a lot of stuff in, but doesn't seem to do any of them as well as stand-alone devices.

That said, if someone gave me one for free, I'd be delira and excira!

Rockson wrote:
    Basically, it packs a lot of stuff in, but doesn't seem to do any of them as well as stand-alone devices.

yes, i think you've hit the nail on the head there..

i wouldn't use it as my main GPS, camera or mp3 player, simply because it is a phone.

that said, it is VERY capable of doing all of those things and doing them well. Don't get me wrong, the GPS maps are good, the mp3 player is just as good any and the camera quality is more than enough for 'average' point and go snaps.

But if i want a better GPS signal and route 66 maps, i'll get a dedicated device. If i want to store ALL my music on my mp3 player, i'll get a 40gb ipod. If i want fast point and shoot camera, i'll buy a dedicated camera..

the n95 won't beat any dedicated top of the range GPS system, mp3 player or camera - but in an emergency, or as a backup - it will do the job.

it's important to remember and to judge the n95 as a phone and as phones come - it's the best currently out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Seriously its the best phone around.Well worth the money.

i just bought a unlocked N95

bought it on ebay

it was on vodafone uk buts its unlocked and new

got it for a great price

that phone will work here in Ireland no bother right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

did you check that the network actually unlocked it as they can not be unlocked by anyone else?

I have a feeling you might be in for a nasty surprise when you get it. I think someone else on here had a similar thing happen to them.

this whats it says in the ebay ad

NOKIA N95 BRAND NEW BOXED AND UNLOCKED

BRAND NEW BOXED N95 WITH ALL SEALED ASSORIES UNLOCKED FROM THE VODAFONE NETWORK SO WILL NOW WORK ON ANY NETWORK 1 DAY AUCTION GOODLUCK

so it looks like its unlocked

this whats it says in the ebay ad

NOKIA N95 BRAND NEW BOXED AND UNLOCKED

BRAND NEW BOXED N95 WITH ALL SEALED ASSORIES UNLOCKED FROM THE VODAFONE NETWORK SO WILL NOW WORK ON ANY NETWORK 1 DAY AUCTION GOODLUCK

so it looks like its unlocked

Have you got a auction number?.Its going to be vodafone branded which is really annoying :(

• Advertisement

is it possible to get rid of the branding

is not really a big deal but still you want a perfect phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Debranding and flashing to a generic os version is very very easy ...unlike unlocking which is not very easy .

read this and use NSS like the guys sez and then the Nokia software update to obtain generic firmware and finish the debrand.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=406962

cant wait for this phone lads, looks class

havent had a nokia for a while

is there any cool apps i can put on the N95

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

I saw a sign up on a 3G store selling sim free n95s for E719 if anyone is interested.

I currently am on vodafone prepay - if I was to get a n95 how functional would it be with the prepay?

Does the GPS facility on the n95 cost anything? ie does it use phone credit?

B

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

brendor wrote:
    I saw a sign up on a 3G store selling sim free n95s for E719 if anyone is interested.

I currently am on vodafone prepay - if I was to get a n95 how functional would it be with the prepay?

B

Don't know from personal experience but it shouldn't as it is basically a gps reciever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

smemon wrote:
    it's important to remember and to judge the n95 as a phone and as phones come - it's the best currently out there.

As a phone all it has to do is make calls n txts... So what makes it better than my Nokia 6234?? It makes calls n txts, its great for txting...

If ur goona be spending €600+ on a phone n its only "OK" at doing what ur buying it for why buy it??

For that money u could get a mp3 player, phone, sat nav n a digital camera that'd all do there job as described.

Now, fair enough thats 4 devices n the phone is only one but why have the phone if ur gonna be using your own sat nave, why use the phone if u have an ipod and why use the phone if you're gonna use a digital camera??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

jrey1981, selling on boards is not allowed. That is what adverts is for.

unklerosco wrote:
    Now, fair enough thats 4 devices n the phone is only one but why have the phone if ur gonna be using your own sat nave, why use the phone if u have an ipod and why use the phone if you're gonna use a digital camera??

if you need an upgrade, any decent phone will cost €200+

sure, you could buy an old 3210 and use it, but come on; it's handy to have a camera, gps and mp3 player etc all in one.

you don't take your gps system abroad and walk around the streets with it - but you can do that with the n95 and not feel like tulip or a tourist.

you're not gonna carry around that lot with you at all times. But you will carry your phone around. So basically, the n95 acts as a reserve camera/gps/m3 player, but that's only because i've high standards and know my technology.

For the average joe, the n95's camera would probably better their standalone camera. Having a 5mp camera with me at all times, means i'll always be able to take quality snapshots.

The n95 is luxury. Nobody needs it and you can find a decent phone for half the price of it. But it's like saying why stay in a 5* hotel when you can get a 3* one for half the price - some people just want the extra comforts and class that goes with a 5*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

brendor wrote:

B
    anyone know what is the staff discount like in 3G stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

smemon wrote:
    texting is fine, just like any other phone :)

you might find the buttons a little tight or barrel-like but you get used to it - no big deal.

I've big hands and fingers and i've no problem.

GPS tbh is more for pedestrians imo.. it takes a while to lock on to a position (like 20 seconds).. but it will then follow your position like any GPS and guide you to a location..

i certainly wouldn't use it as my main GPS system when in the car - i'd get a dedicated one.. but it's a handy little featire to have - particularly when going abroad and looking for directions ;)

You have to pay for voice directions which is the only downside.. but the maps/updates are free :D

Doesn't the GPS cost money though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Rockson wrote:
    5 things so far bug me about the N95

1. The battery life is supposed to be crap

2. The 5 megapixel camera doesn't have optical zoom!

3. The price is outrageous - you'd buy a decent laptop for the same price!

4. The texting keys (i.e number keys) are supposed to be awkward and easy to slide your fingers off and onto the key above.

5. No qwerty keyboard as a third slide-out!

That said, if someone gave me one for free, I'd be delira and excira!

Nokia can never make a great phone, they always **** up a phone one way or another

Using GPS is free... The software cost money to buy. I assume the software is pre loaded onto the phone.. Using it wont cost a penny

you cant win in this world

got the Nokia N95

looks class

tried putting my sim in but goes to input your code but then the screen goes white

tried other sims but says sim invalid

looks like the phone is locked

i gave out stink to the seller and he offered me a refund but i got a idea
    if the seller rings vodafone and gives them the imei number and his vodafone number

vodafone will unlock it

and i asked him to do this .but no word yet

another thing

i rang vodafone uk and made up some bull, saying i lived in the uk and bought a Nokia N95 and i returned to Ireland without sim and cant remember my number

the operater says if i go to Northern Ireland and go to a vodafone uk store theyll unlock it

i live in Tipp, thats a bit of a journey ,what do ye think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ok thanks guys

headshot...

Was in the same situation once, got my mates sim.. Bought £20 credit off ebay(for £12) n got it unlocked by calling vodafone uk... They charge £20 to unlock the phone, wish they did the same here...

I think i've a uk simcard around, or if u know anyone that does u could do it that way... other than that a trip up north is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Ace2007, .

Europaelectronic's listed as a fraud site on
    http://db.aa419.org/fakebanksview.php?key=15492

If the fact that there is no address or phone number on the site, and it takes western union payments wasn't a tip off. Owner claims to be based in Jerusalem according to the domain record. When spamming forums they claim to be based in the UK.

Might be an idea to edit your post to remove the link in case anyone is tempted.

unklerosco wrote:
    headshot...

Was in the same situation once, got my mates sim.. Bought £20 credit off ebay(for £12) n got it unlocked by calling vodafone uk... They charge £20 to unlock the phone, wish they did the same here...

I think i've a uk simcard around, or if u know anyone that does u could do it that way... other than that a trip up north is needed

never been to the north

it would be a nice trip
    but would they unlock it

and would i not get charged more than 20 pounds for unlocking from voda uk

voda ireland told me they charge 175 euro for unlock(around that price) for a N95 but if have a long history of credit ie over 175 euro worths ,its free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

did warn you headshot...

hope you get it sorted anyhow

never been to the north

it would be a nice trip
    but would they unlock it

and would i not get charged more than 20 pounds for unlocking from voda uk

voda ireland told me they charge 175 euro for unlock(around that price) for a N95 but if have a long history of credit ie over 175 euro worths ,its free

People have mentioned on boards many times not to buy locked n95's as their difficult to unlock.Best option is sell it back on ebay and get a sim free one.

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    People have mentioned on boards many times not to buy locked n95's as their difficult to unlock.Best option is sell it back on ebay and get a sim free one.

that would be a great option someone except me :D

i unlocked the phone using a irish vodafone uk sim card and vodafone uk unlocking code

class phone

very impressed

Advertisement