Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 01-06-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

**MODS PLEASE MOVE TO CORRECT FORM**

During my college exam I was caught with '1+1=0 with a carry of 1' & '0-1 = 1 with a take of 1' (which is a simple rule for adding and subtracting in binary) written on my hand. But there was no binary equations on my exam but it was relevant to my course. Now I have a meeting with the college about what should be done about this.

Does anyone know what will happen to me? /*Please no piss taking*/

Also it said I could have another student or staff memeber in with me. I was thinking of asking my lecturer to say that it had nothing to do with the questions on the exam paper but I dont think he would becasue a question with binary could of came up and there was intent with me cheating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Will probably be taken very seriously.

Think you need to get your student union person to go in to the meeting with you as they will have experience of these committees. Also, maybe try and get a letter from a relevant staff member saying that the equation is so basic (which i assume it is) that you couldn't possibly have been trying to cheat, and it was just a straightforward oversight.

Would recommend posting in the relevant college forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The fact that it didn't come up on the exam is irrelevant - you cheated, and will in all likelyhood be treated just the same as if binary arithmetic had been on the exam.

And I don't think asking for 'no piss-taking' on After Hours is going to work, that's a significant part of why this forum exists.

You're screwed, buddy! (Jesus, of all the things you could have cheated on, you picked something a 10-year old could get their head around)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You cheated so be a man/woman and just face the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Exact same thing happened to a mate of mine last year - caught with cheat notes but no
    relevant question on the exact exam paper. He protested and claimed his innocence
    but to no avail. The fact he can never get a driving license or sit another state exam
    did upset him at first (as did explaining at job interviews why he had to leave college
    suddenly). I saw him last week and he said he'll get over it eventually and he's rather
    enjoying his job in McDonalds and he's hoping to join their pension scheme soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I saw him last week and he said he'll get over it eventually and he's rather enjoying his job in McDonalds and he's hoping to join their pension scheme soon.
    Ouch:D

To the OP, start thinking of some really good excuses, e.g., last nights cramming and forgot to wash it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Get it permanently tattooed on your hand and tell them that its always been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Ouch:D

To the OP, start thinking of some really good excuses, e.g., last nights cramming and forgot to wash it off.

That was always my back-up plan in case I got caught. Just say something like you were cramming all night or that morning and you forgot to wash it off. Might not work but it's you're best shot if you don't want to face the facts. Sucks to be you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Slurms wrote:
    You cheated so be a man/woman and just face the consequences.
    And, worse, failed at cheating... *sigh*

Discuss the matter with your students' union.

Moving out of AH before we start "taking the piss" (Even if it is deserved)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

not14talk wrote:
    Does anyone know what will happen to me?

You'll find out how the pockmarked wall at the rear of the Gymnasium got that way.

P.S. Wear the blindfold. And don't whimper. Be a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The college will have documented procedures on how the process works. You should be able to request a copy of it and find out what exactly to expect.

I'm afraid the fact that you were caught with something written down, irrespective of whether it came up or not, is still technically cheating. You tried to cheat, you were caught, you now have to face the consequences.

Make sure and have somebody with you, preferably a member of staff, if not, then at least a student union rep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    Get it permanently tattooed on your hand and tell them that its always been there.

FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Exact same thing happened to a mate of mine last year - caught with cheat notes but no
    relevant question on the exact exam paper. He protested and claimed his innocence
    but to no avail. The fact he can never get a driving license or sit another state exam
    did upset him at first (as did explaining at job interviews why he had to leave college
    suddenly). I saw him last week and he said he'll get over it eventually and he's rather
    enjoying his job in McDonalds and he's hoping to join their pension scheme soon.
    You CANT get banned for life from state exams, if I remember correctly you can get banned for a max of 4 years in the Leaving Cert while in my college its a max of 2 years.

Anyway had the meeting yesterday, Have to repeat the exam in august!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

You CANT get banned for life from state exams, if I remember correctly you can get banned for a max of 4 years in the Leaving Cert while in my college its a max of 2 years.
    Can a college even ban you from state exams? I know if you cheat in the LC this would happen, but I can't see how an IT or university could do this (especially as it sounds like just a first year summer exam or something because of the binary equation).

Advertisement