Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to give cat a home but can't!

Options
  • 01-06-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

This is an unusual one - and a bit confusing! My mate's neighbours stopped looking after their cat when a member of the family became seriously ill and subsequently died. Prior to this very difficult situation, they had looked after him very well - he was a total pet. But then they left him to his own devices. So that's where my mate's family stepped in. They feed him now and have plenty of sheds etc for him to shelter/sleep in. They're good to him but they don't pay him much attention or pet him. Their home is his base but I'd say he visits other houses around the neighbourhood because he likes company, having come from a home where he was once petted. Every time I call, he's delighted to see me and purrs like a machine when I pick him up and stroke him. Now I must emphasise he's well fed, well treated and a contented little fella. He's absolutely beautiful with a glossy, thick, plush coat and bright eyes - the picture of health. But I really think he deserves an actual home, rather than just a base where he gets food, shelter and the occasional bit of attention. He's a pet cat, not just a functional one. So I offered to give him a home but my mate's family said he wasn't really theirs to give me - his original owners hadn't actually given him to them. But the original owners have made it clear they're not bothered with him anymore. They even said, when my mate's sister told them she was looking after him, something like "He's still around? Oh, you can have him if you want."
    Do you think I'd be out of order if I got more persistent? I don't know the cat's exact age - around four I'd say. Is it too late in his life to rehome him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Why don't you ask the original owners yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

4 years old is fine to rehome him. It seems the original owners don't really want him, so either contact them directly, or through your mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It seems to me that he is fine where he is, after all what cat wouldn`t want to be Six Dinner Sid!.

Advertisement