Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard, Burning smell and smoke

Options
  • 01-06-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

just got my new mobo and cpu this morning,
    Asrock 4coredual-vsta and an intel core 2 duo e4300.
    Plugged in everything, RAM, agp card, psu, hard drive, dvd-rw.

Powered up and a little smoke was blowing out the fan and that dreaded burning smell. Turned off. Now when trying to power up there are no post beeps and the monitor wont turn on.

I should mention that the agp card wasnt seated properly, not sure if that could cause this but it was slanted in the agp slot.

Should i just ask the online shop for a replacement?
    Coz this is the very same symptoms my other board had which i was replacing, and i im guessing its fuxxed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you have thermal paste on the heatsink?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Spunge wrote:
    im guessing its fuxxed.
    I think your diagnoses is pretty on the money there, you could try and ask for a replacement board and see what the company say? Was it Komplett you got it from? I find they usually test any return products before issuing replacements...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

The heatsink came with paste already on it.

I hope its the mobo and not the cpu. I got it from dabs.ie who are supposed to be quite bad with customer service. I'll contact them and see what can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like a dead psu to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , if the agp was in at a slant it is entirely possible that all the pins on the agp slot were shorted , ( I know , cos back in the day I blew up a motherboard myself , its easily done )
    The Motherboard is dead , and quite possibly the CPU as well , and the memory !!
    It was on mine anyway , MB's cannot handle such a large short , and mine took a brand new Audigy 2 card with as well at the time.

Not a nice feeling , my condolences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

as ANTI has said if this has happened before it sounds like the PSU if i was you i'd borrow one from a mate and try it again if its still dead i'd still try the replacment with a stand- in PSU .Is there any power going to the mobo at all from the psu somethimes a green light on the mobo will light up to show if its receiving power from the PSU or not . what make is the psu your using and how many watts is it ?? but also as has been said placing any commponent in not fully will normally kill of the mobo .hopefully its the PSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

just put your nose up to the vents in the PSU and smell. the smell of a burnt out PSU is unmistakeable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

dubdvd wrote:
    as ANTI has said if this has happened before it sounds like the PSU if i was you i'd borrow one from a mate and try it again if its still dead i'd still try the replacment with a stand- in PSU .Is there any power going to the mobo at all from the psu somethimes a green light on the mobo will light up to show if its receiving power from the PSU or not . what make is the psu your using and how many watts is it ?? but also as has been said placing any commponent in not fully will normally kill of the mobo .hopefully its the PSU

It's a fortron 400W, bought it a few months back. When i plug it into the mobo now it just turns on the cpu fan and the case fan, just doesn't do anything else. This happened to my other mobo i got a few years back just 2 weeks ago(which is why i bought this one). I have another PSU about 350W, some cheap make, same problem. As you said, if i do get a replacement ill try the other PSU first.

Just curious, is there any shops in dublin where they can check if my parts are working, such as my cpu/ram/agp card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Any pc shop can check it, but its going to cost a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Spunge wrote:
    It's a fortron 400W, bought it a few months back. When i plug it into the mobo now it just turns on the cpu fan and the case fan, just doesn't do anything else. This happened to my other mobo i got a few years back just 2 weeks ago(which is why i bought this one). I have another PSU about 350W, some cheap make, same problem. As you said, if i do get a replacement ill try the other PSU first.

Just curious, is there any shops in dublin where they can check if my parts are working, such as my cpu/ram/agp card.

where are you based are you in dublin which CPU is it and what ram let me know and if your near dublin 12 and if i have the mobo you need ill try them out for you .i also have a PSU Tester at home so if you want and your able to travel you can drop over and ill check it out for you " If ive got the right mobo " best thing would be to bring the whole base unit .im finished my night duty after tonight and will be around till thursday then im off to tenerife . let me know and ill see what i can do

• Advertisement
Advertisement