Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

expired tax consequences

Options
  • 01-06-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

My friends road tax expired at the end of april, so his month for renewing in may was up yesterday (it said on form it cud be renewed any day in may), he says that if he is stopped he will get ten days to show it at a station but i think thats only if he was stopped in may. He went thru a tax check on Monday and was let thru no probs so whats the story here and what will happen if he's caught

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I bought a car about a month ago, it had no disks on it at all, i stupidly left my insuance disk in my old car when i sold it and the car had only been registered in april so had no log book yet.

I have been through 3 tax check so far though i did get a insurance disk sorted before the first time i think.

First one the guy asked whern i bought the car, i was a bit freaked out, partially from seeing a post on here where everyone was going on about the cops being c**** with this kind of thing, i sad a week ago and started trying to explain i cant get a tax disk, he said oh thats no bother go on, grand.

Second time almost teh same thing, at this stage i had a little note from the tax office saying i have applied for tax and he looked at that and said grand.

The last time there were two cops and they were asking me a bunch of questions. They told me i would have to get it sorted quickly.

None of them mentioned i had no nct disk.. I think it mostly depends if you get one who is in a bad mood, id say it sucks having a bad day as a gard and standing in the rain pissed off you proabably would give people unnesesary hassle now and then. There definatley is a right and wrong way to talk to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,218 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think they usually allow you a month grace period with the gardai to get it sorted. I reckon he will be pulled the next time he goes through a checkpoint though and probably receive a fine.

Why doesn't he just tax the car? We will be back dated to the begining of May anyway and will avoid a fine or summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

bazz26 wrote:
    Why doesn't he just tax the car? We will be back dated to the begining of May anyway and will avoid a fine or summons.
    He won't be back-dated if he gets a form to say the car was off the road during that period. Any guard will stamp the declaration without asking questions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You can be fined for no tax and/or non display of a valid disc. But, as mentioned, the Gardaí will usually let it go for the first month.

After 3 months the Gardaí are entitled to impound the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

tenchi-fan wrote:
    He won't be back-dated if he gets a form to say the car was off the road during that period. Any guard will stamp the declaration without asking questions

Some Guards will. Not any Guard!

Anyway, isn't it fraud if you do that and you were driving it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It could get interesting after you have had it declared off the road for the month of May, and then a speeding ticket comes in the door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Even then the cops are not that clued up to connect the 2 events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

rowanh wrote:
    I bought a car about a month ago, it had no disks on it at all, i stupidly left my insuance disk in my old car when i sold it and the car had only been registered in april so had no log book yet.

I have been through 3 tax check so far though i did get a insurance disk sorted before the first time i think.

First one the guy asked whern i bought the car, i was a bit freaked out, partially from seeing a post on here where everyone was going on about the cops being c**** with this kind of thing, i sad a week ago and started trying to explain i cant get a tax disk, he said oh thats no bother go on, grand.

Second time almost teh same thing, at this stage i had a little note from the tax office saying i have applied for tax and he looked at that and said grand.

The last time there were two cops and they were asking me a bunch of questions. They told me i would have to get it sorted quickly.

None of them mentioned i had no nct disk.. I think it mostly depends if you get one who is in a bad mood, id say it sucks having a bad day as a gard and standing in the rain pissed off you proabably would give people unnesesary hassle now and then. There definatley is a right and wrong way to talk to them though.

what does this post mean :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

youd swear tax was a huge financial burden

its a couple of hundred quid ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Helix wrote:
    youd swear tax was a huge financial burden

its a couple of hundred quid ffs

yeah, its of no benifit to not keep it upto date, they will back date it when ya finally do it, and its just stress in the mean time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mukki wrote:
    yeah, its of no benifit to not keep it upto date, they will back date it when ya finally do it, and its just stress in the mean time
    Not worth the stress and sweat everytime you see a garda checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Nuttzy wrote:
    I think its no longer 3months out of date before they can take the car, its down to 2months these days i think, can anyone confirm this?

yeh its deffo 2 months, used to be 3.

Advertisement