Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboard Gear

Options
  • 01-06-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Snowboarded for the first time this winter, loved it. Plans were afoot for the follow on trip before we even got home.

I had bought the usual - gloves, pants, jacket. Only the gloves were a 'decent' quality.
    Because of the weather (warm) none got tested anyway.

This, and coming winters are going to present much more frequent opportunities for long weekends as well as the week long trips.

With this in mind I'm going to pick up my own board, boots n' bindings.
    and get some of the protective gear as well.
    I don't mind investing to get stuff that will last me and serve me well - in respect of the clothing at least. There's no need for me to go over the top with respect to the board, because I'll only wreck it.

How, in Ireland, do I go about getting myself the gear. Online is the most obvious route, board and bindings should be reasonable enough to pick up.

But for boots and the balance of gear, how should I go about getting proper fitting stuff without being ripped off by our local stores?
    Mid-summer trip to Zurich or similar?

I don't want to buy in the resort towns, because you're charged accordingly.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

uberwolf wrote:
    I don't want to buy in the resort towns, because you're charged accordingly.
    I think you'll find buying in resort would be cheaper than most means of buying whilst in Ireland, online or not. It would depend on what time of year you are going to be away though but you'd probably be able to find some nice deals nearer the end of the season in resort shops, only problem is you have to then wait longer before your next chance to make use of your sparkly new gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Also,
    You're definately best off fitting the boots before buying.
    It would probably be a mistake buying boots online.

RobinH is right about buying in the resort too - you can even get a discount off last season's boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Head to the Great Outdoors in town and try on the boots - when ya find a pair that feel comfy, head home and buy them online.
    I actually bought all my gear there - Burton Bullet 159, Burton Custom Bindings and Burton Moto boots - 700 quid - they threw in the bag for free too :rolleyes:
    Although it might have been a bit more expensive, for buying my 1st board, i wanted to be able to bring it back easily if there was any problems with it.
    But will be buying in the resort (especially if in Andorra - no taxes) or online in future.

As for clothing - TK Max is great - got myself a savage Quiksilver jacket and bottoms for 150 quid - cant go wrong - good deals to be found if you are patient and pop in once a week for a look - got the jacket one day and the bottoms 3 weeks later - was chuffed when i got the matching gear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

I wouldn't buy any of my gear in Ireland, basically there isn't really that much choice, once you are lucky enough to find a shop that has gear available. Curran's idea is what I would do too, get you size and find out what bindings you want, then pick a board (one of the better names burton/nitro/etc and you can't go wrong). Then check out places on the net.

I bought bindings for the GF at http://www.blue-tomato.at/ and they were very reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The being able to bring it back if there is a problem is part of the reason for buying in resort though as that is the place where you are most likely to discover any problems with the kit, or if the boots are not actually comfortable after wearing them on the slopes for a full day instead of the 10 minutes in a shop in Dublin.

TKMaxx is very good for getting any clothing from though, but it's easier for the untrained eye to spot a problem with a jacket than with some fancy sport specific boots or other kit that you know nothing about what they are supposed to be like. Maybe not quite as critical for boarding boots though, but ski boots should definitely be bought in resort for you first pair I think.

• Advertisement

Yeah but if you bought your gear in a resort say in France and there was no problems with them, but what happens if you are in Italy the next month and something breaks - cant bring it back then!! It was me being cautious with spending 700 quid on my 1st Board / Boots / Binding combination - will be buying online in future!!
    As for the 10 mins in a Dublin shop against a day on the slopes - i bought the gear months before i was going on my next planned trip - spent many hours walking around in my boots before going on my trip, to make sure they were comfy and wear them in before bringing them off on a trip - i had been warned about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Curran wrote:
    i bought the gear months before i was going on my next planned trip - spent many hours walking around in my boots before going on my trip, to make sure they were comfy and wear them in before bringing them off on a trip - i had been warned about that :D

Breaking boots in is a must, but don't walk around in them!!!! It'll make them go soft and unsupportive, and Moto boots are soft enough as it is. Walking in them will greatly reduce their lifespan. To break in a pair of boots put them on for abut an hour at a time when you are not moving about ie. reading a book or watch TV/film.

When you do have to walk about in a resort, whenever possible, it's a good idea to undo the laces/boa/whatever.

Also when buying boots read about online and find out how much each manufacturers boot packs out, because some pack out signifiantly more than others.

Another good idea is to bring ski socks to the shop when trying on your boots, they are a bit thicker than normal socks and these are what you'll be wearing while riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Diemos wrote:
    (snip) ... When you do have to walk about in a resort, whenever possible, it's a good idea to undo the laces/boa/whatever ...

Never knew that, thanks for the advice.

Well when i said walking, i didnt mean walking down the street for a stroll in them - proabably used a bad word in walking - wearing them about the house, watching tv and "walking" to the fridge to get a beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

any advice on this guys? :) ;

[req] skiing jackets etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

Yeah TK max is realy good for Jackets and bottoms. If you keep going in once a week or so you will aways pick up good gear at quite cheep prices.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

/me awaits moderators' wrath.............:rolleyes:

Advertisement