Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Over Rated Band/Acts Ever? and Why?

Options
  • 01-06-2007 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

OK so we were talking about this the other day so I figured I'd post it up here and see what everyone thinks. These are the most common awnsers people gave , I didn't pick them, so don't have a go.

Most over rated Band/act of all time? 112 votes

The Beatles
    0% 0 votes
    Nirvana
    12% 14 votes
    Bob Dylan
    17% 20 votes
    The Rolling Stones
    6% 7 votes
    Oasis
    11% 13 votes
    Bob Marley (and the Wailers)
    29% 33 votes
    David Bowie
    11% 13 votes
    Other, State Who......(thats not a band name)
    10% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

If I was forced to go for one, I'd say Oasis, because a lot of their stuff sounds the same, I don't really think any of them are overrated. A lot of my favourite musicians are on your list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Other...Queen. A force of nature as a live band, but by god, apart from Night at the Opera their albums are patchy at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Other: The Clash. I just don't get them. I appreciate that they must be important and that a lot of people dig them but I just personally don't get it. It's not for lack of trying or ploughing through albums but....na.

Ditto Dylan - for the same reasons - to a lesser extent. All well and good, just not for me.

Obviuously lots of lesser bands (Travis, Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol for a start ) but I'm sticking with the classic examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

From the list, Oasis, musically uninventive, lyrically fairly boring imo.
    Some songs I do like, but after What's The Story, what's the point? They seriously went downhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Went for nirvana. Second a lot of the oasis arguments though. Really don't think nirvana were deserving of all the praise they got. Some stuff great, some awful garbage(territorial pissings? **** off). I also don't rate Zeppelin particularly highly, but only cos Plant's voice gets on my nerves. Everybody else(especially Bonham) were fantastic IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Why were u2 not on that list? I was forced to vote for oasis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I voted for The Beatles, I just cant stand their music.

Again, why are U2 not on that list?!?!

The following is my "Other..." part of the poll:

Anything Chris Cornell did after Soundgarden.

Audioslave.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers (except Flea because he is well able to slap the bass a bit). I mean come on! John Frusciante is so f*cking boring both instrumentally, lyrically and vocally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Has to be Nirvana. I can understand why Oasis is winning the poll as they are a worse band than Nirvana, however the key difference is most acknowledge that Oasis are a joke yet Kurt and Co are still talked about in reverential terms by a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I wanted to pick everyone except nirvana and bob marley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

i picked oasis as alot of there stuff is almost the same, they still ahve some good songs though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

went for oasis but reckon Coldplay should be up there.

guess i should have clicked other really. ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Pigman II wrote:
    the key difference is most acknowledge that Oasis are a joke yet Kurt and Co are still talked about in reverential terms by a lot of people.

Of course :rolleyes:

Froot wrote:
    Of course :rolleyes:

Oooh, 'the rolleyes' eh? Well done. You're a good lad!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pigman II wrote:
    Oooh, 'the rolleyes' eh? Well done. You're a good lad!

As insipid as most of your comments so you should take some credit too!

lordgoat wrote:
    As insipid as most of your comments so you should take some credit too!

Well you would certainly be an expert in that field if this thread is anything to go by. What of interest could ever come from someone whose only input was to inform us that they were 'forced' to do something by a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

U2.. i hate them.. grr. They are useless and the most overrated band since..

Bob Marley also.. maybe Bob Dylan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

U2. Worst. Band. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Saucer of milk, table two, MEOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

A lot of my favourite artists of all time are up there. I don't think any of them are overrated so much so that it gets to a stage like U2 where everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and says 'they suck'.

I'd be pushed to say Oasis or maybe even Marley (sorry Bob!) simply cos their stuff sounds simalar. Unlike a great band called Queen, who weren't afraid to try new stuff...:p
    Driver 8 wrote:
    Other...Queen. A force of nature as a live band, but by god, apart from Night at the Opera their albums are patchy at best.

I'd have to disagree with you there. A Night At The Opera is one of their best albums but in no way are they overrated. Todays rockers are caught up in Led Zeppelin or The Beatles, not many are obsessed with Queen.

Apart from Hot Space, what of their albums do you think aren't good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Other for me.

U2 and Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Take your pick-Jazz, News of the World, The Miracle...etc

They're not bad albums, but if you took out the "hits" you're generally left with pretty flimsy stuff. Most people, when they talk about Queen, will typically own a Greatest Hits or two, and possibly Night at the Opera, and judge them solely on that.

As I say, incredible live band, but horribly inconsistent in the studio. I feel they're over-rated in the sense that people praise them without any real knowledge of their whole back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Pretty much every rock band since The Clash.Oasis and Nirvana would be near the top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Driver 8 wrote:
    Take your pick-Jazz, News of the World, The Miracle...etc

They're not bad albums, but if you took out the "hits" you're generally left with pretty flimsy stuff. Most people, when they talk about Queen, will typically own a Greatest Hits or two, and possibly Night at the Opera, and judge them solely on that.

As I say, incredible live band, but horribly inconsistent in the studio. I feel they're over-rated in the sense that people praise them without any real knowledge of their whole back catalogue.

Yeah, that's true. People do praise them solely on their greatest hits. You find people who 'love' Queen yet only own the Platinum Collection.

Not me! Have all their albums and a heapload of bootlegs and I still think they're one of the greatest bands to walk the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i'll be murdered for this, but my nomination is Radiohead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

U2, Oasis, Elvis, Coldplay, nirvana, John Lennon, Bob Marley etc

Really irritating how much coverage Bob Marley gets. Fela Kuti is the Black President. All those bob marley posters that stoners hang in their rooms.. and they think they're hot sh*t..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I heard someone say Fela Kuti ... Who said Fela Kuti.... Yup, he' s da man.
    I wouldn't go as far as knocking Bob now, there's no need for that kind of talk. :(

(And really. Seriously now. Is anyone really surprised those buffoons are winning the polls? What a complete waste of space they are)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

i'll be murdered for this, but my nomination is Radiohead....

Pffffft. How do you fit so much cloth in those ears?

Any big band over the last couple of years; the Killers, the Kooks, Franz Ferdinand whatever.

U2 and Metallica are probably THE most overrated bands ever though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If you're talking about supposed top 20 bands of all time Pink Floyd gets my vote

None of the acts listed in poll I would call overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Nirvana. Horribly generic band.

Sex pistols are pretty bad too. I heard Bodies and God save the queen and was delighted, then bought the CD and was dismayed to find that there were only about 4 good songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

What's really annoying about Nirvana is the whole 'Nevermind' fuss. I hate all that guff that goes with it, all the crap about how it raised rock music from the dead etc. What it certainly did do is open the door for most of the ****e guitar bands that popped up in the nineties. That happens a lot, an album gets married to some big development in music history and then does the rounds on a whole pile of VH1 documentaries and Q most important albums lists and over time the quality of the music takes a back seat. Same thing with the Sex Pistols. Nirvana were just an average guitar band who had a handful of decent songs and twice as many godawful ones. The whole Kurt Cobain legend is irritating. I've no time for all that guff. Perpetuated forever by girls in hoodies who've just given up their Backstreet Boys cds and want to like cool music so they can hang around with other annoying teens with Kill em all T shirts and manky hair.

Advertisement