Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Bicycle - Amsterdam

Options
  • 01-06-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

AzorTransporthdgr.jpg

Working over in Amsterdam for a few months. Got myself something simmilar to the attached. (mine is actually a Bromco - hand built - 20yrs old)

Note the double bar. Quite rare. Call them transporters as quite sturdy and have 2 heavy duty carriers. No gears, drum back brake (pedal), no front brake. Probably will end up bringing it home with me.

Previous bikes were high end Hybrid bikes in Ireland so beware what amsterdam can do to you. :)

And just to make ye all sick. I cycle 10Ks to work and its all on bicycle lanes.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You need to get a bread basket for that bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Tut, tut, a few months abroad and you've already forgotton the Irish landscape. For your sake I hope that "home" is somewhere on the flatter planes of Ireland. Those yokes are built like a tank, but weigh about the same also.

I have a Dutch 23kg heavy lug myself that I use to get around Dublin including doing the weekly shopping. It's a b%tch getting it to move, especially when its not perfectly flat. No gears and a crap brake on your yoke emphasise why such bikes aren't seen here. I'd wager that you'll be back in no time on something lighter with gears and proper brakes.

On the upside, you'll get a job as a postie with that yoke no prob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I saw quite a few bikes with double crossbars in Amsterdam and also in Cologne. Why they have two, I don't know. Even with just a single bar, they'd look as if they could withstand a missile attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Does the double bar make it truck-proof? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

i figure the bike will probably end up in an outbuilding in the comeragh mountains and in 50 yrs time someone will find it (my grandchild) and ask how in hell did that tank end up here! :)

here is another design which i am fond of. Cross bars.

kruisframe.jpg

or this which is popular amongst families.....have seen everything from dogs, babies to 3 kids in these things.

kleine-klassieke-bakfiets-420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

Pure Class...would be nice to see a few on the streets of Dublin.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rothar

Membrane wrote:

I have a Dutch 23kg heavy lug myself that I use to get around Dublin including doing the weekly shopping. It's a b%tch getting it to move, especially when its not perfectly flat. No gears and a crap brake on your yoke emphasise why such bikes aren't seen here. I'd wager that you'll be back in no time on something lighter with gears and proper brakes.

I've been looking at these bikes online, including Bakfiets, which is how I came upon this thread.

So is it the bike that's the problem (weight, gearing etc) or is it the terrain?

Mind you, if a heavily pregnant woman can propel one of these with two kids on board, or another woman can transport her three kids around London, then I fancy maybe I could give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Well I've got one I regularly take it for trips of over 40km with no problems (but I live in the lovely flat Netherlands), so I reckon short trips with moderate inclines won't be a problem. If you're used to a bike that weighs a feather then you might feel the weight, but personally it's never bothered me.

Bakfiets are another breed though. Good gear systems, but not cheap - you're looking at EUR 1,000 - 2,000. I've never seen people make day trips with them - they're really for dropping the kids off to school.

http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/pages/collectie.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

ff22_0.jpg

wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Rothar wrote:
    or another woman can transport her three kids around London, then I fancy maybe I could give it a go...

I live about 30 yards from a school entrance. Every morning it is pandemonium for an hour with large vehicles manouvering trying to drop off the little emperor for school.

The bicycle with the large box on front should be compulsory school transport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement