Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

failed in cork

Options
  • 01-06-2007 4:02pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just failed me test in cork.

would mind but she said i hit the kerb when reversing around a corner,and when i challenged it she says " well you were too close to it anyway"

<snip>

wouldnt have minded so much if she'd stuck to her guns and said yeah you did hit the kerb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

horgan_p - there is an appeals procedure open to you if you have a grievance. Lodging an appeal may be much more constructive than posting offensive remarks about the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

are you a tester by any chance wishbone? also where is the offensive remark? hard luck OP no doubt you were shafted for not being female, atleast women cant say its all one sided! The whole testing system is a total disgrace, i dont anyone will disagree.

Idbatterim wrote:
    are you a tester by any chance wishbone?
    No but I am the Forum Mod! ;)

Idbatterim wrote:
    where is the offensive remark?
    Obviously I've removed it.

sorry wishbone, missed the snip bit. but I stand by the rest of it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

point taken , apologies.
    heat of the moment post.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote:
    no doubt you were shafted for not being female
    What makes you think that horgan_p is male. :)
    Idbatterim wrote:
    sorry wishbone, missed the snip bit
    horgan_p wrote:
    point taken , apologies
    No problem lads (ladies?). :D

Back on Topic - Is hitting the kerb during a reverse deemed to be an instant failure? Somehow I doubt it. I presume it was in conjunction with other faults. I'm open to correction on this.

Any testers/instructors out there care to give an opinion?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

well i've calmed down ,cooled off and put it down to luck.
    i'll do better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

What makes you think that horgan_p is male. :)

No problem lads (ladies?). :D

Back on Topic - Is hitting the kerb during a reverse deemed to be an instant failure? Somehow I doubt it. I presume it was in conjunction with other faults. I'm open to correction on this.

Any testers/instructors out there care to give an opinion?

Just to clarify that hitting the kerb on a reverse can lead to a grade three fault (which is a outright fail).
    By the way i am an instructor and i am basing the comment on experience.
    www.betterdrive.net

my girlfriend hit kerb and passed, i hit and failed it either is a fail or it isnt...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

You need to actually mount the kerb while reversing the corner to fail.

Touching the kerb during a turnabout is an insta-fail though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Aren't you given a foot-and-a-half's distance from the kerb? If you were almost mounting it, maybe you were making other mistakes too which, cumulatively, resulted in the devil-verdict. The tester should've stuck to her guns whether it was true or not, she lost credibility by changing her own story. I think an appeal is a waste of time though.

I failed mine first time (also in Cork). I wasn't even allowed to finish the test as I broke the speed limit so severely. The second time I failed before even getting onto the road because the car was new and it had no insurance disc, even though I was insured. I had checked this out with the Department before and they told me it would be fine. Cue a fail and E37 down the pan. I wrote a letter of complaint that I was green enough not to register and I never heard from them again.

I passed on the third time and now I can drive whatever the hell way I like, I'm mounting kerbs for fun these days.

rediguana wrote:
    I wasn't even allowed to finish the test as I broke the speed limit so severely
    :eek:
    rediguana wrote:
    The second time I failed before even getting onto the road because the car was new and it had no insurance disc, even though I was insured.
    Strictly speaking, you didn't fail - the test didn't proceed. ;)
    rediguana wrote:
    now I can drive whatever the hell way I like
    Tut, tut! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

Idbatterim wrote:
    my girlfriend hit kerb and passed, i hit and failed it either is a fail or it isnt...

As i said "hitting a kerb can lead to a fail" it depends on how severely you hit it.I find your quote very direct and things are rarely as straight forward as you might like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

If you hit the kerb.. accept it.. you failed. it could just have easily been the edge of a pier, another parked car, a low bollard etc etc..

better luck next time

Advertisement