Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Mondeo V's Golf

Options
  • 01-06-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

I have at present a 04 Golf 1.4. Just happened to be in a Ford garage today and looked at the new Mondeo 5 door hatchback 1.6....Nice looking car etc. The dealer gave me such a good offer on my Golf as a trade in....

Anyone any opinions on the Mondeo,hadn't got time to give it a test drive. I was going to stick with my Golf until maybe next year or two.

So does the Mondeo hold its value like the Golf does,is it a reliable enough car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mad m wrote:
    So does the Mondeo hold its value like the Golf does
    Absolutely not.
    mad m wrote:
    is it a reliable enough car.
    Probably. It being a brand new car, though, it's far too early to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

^^ Sorry I meant in general are ford(Mondeo)cars reliable. Also which would be the better choice the Hatchback or the Saloon...The Saloon is cheaper by a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mad m wrote:
    ^^ Sorry I meant in general are ford(Mondeo)cars reliable.
    They have been so far. The only things the new one has in common with any previous models, though, are a maybe a few engines and the badge. It's a completely new car.
    mad m wrote:
    Also which would be the better choice the Hatchback or the Saloon...The Saloon is cheaper by a grand.
    That depends entirely on yourself. Weigh up what the hatchback is worth to you on the one hand and what the €1,000 is worth to you on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes,

But they depreciate very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Previous generations of the Mondeo, while very good cars (often best in class) suffered badly in depreciation - but then again, the same is true of most models in that class.
    The Golf/Focus sector tend not to depreciate nearly as much, I remember for example, 3 year old Focus' costing as much, if not more, than same age Mondeos.
    Also would be slightly wary of brand new models, regardless of make... you will get all the niggly faults that are subsequently ironed out in later models. My parents had one of the first Focus's in early '99 and it suffered badly with niggly, stupid little issues, rattles, annoying stuff. I owned a newer Focus a few years later with no faults whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might also want to test drive the Mondeo too as it is quite a big and heavy car for a 1.6 litre. But saying that a 1.4 Golf is no rocket ship either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

hey there fazer.... 1.6 mondeo wouldnt drag you out of bed. Mine is the 2.0TD and its torque'y but not light by any means. They will drop in value very quickly also as they are a fleet car so there are mountains of second hand ones about.

Im getting the new one shortly or else the avensis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the new mondeo is truly awesome and has been getting rave reviews from all the motoring journalists , the previous mondeo in existance since 2002 was a really good car too and was a really good value car 2nd hand
    ford and in particular the mondeo have always suffered from poor depreciation , unjustifiably so , ford are under rated in the way VW are over rated , i would choose a ford focus over a golf any day yet the golf which is about 2 k more expensive than the focus would be woth about 4 k more when both cars were 3 yr old , its just the way it is

as i said already ford suffers from poor depreciation unjustifiably compared to nissann or fiat who suffer justifiably from poor depreciation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

irish_bob wrote:
    the new mondeo is truly awesome and has been getting rave reviews from all the motoring journalists , the previous mondeo in existance since 2002 was a really good car too and was a really good value car 2nd hand

old model modeo has been around since 2000 not 2002;)

Advertisement