Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten - Right age to adopt ...

Options
  • 01-06-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are living in Dublin and have currently purchased a place together. We are (she is!) now looking to adopt a kitten (beats a real baby I suppose :D ).

Just wondering when is the "right" age to get a kitten? We don't want to take one too early so that it may lose out on valuable interaction and learning with and from it's siblings and mother. Nor too late so that it may find it very hard to adapt to it's new environment and us.

Some have said 6-8 weeks. Others 10-12.

Or is anytime around this ok and we are just being pedantic? :confused:

Thanx in advance ....

F.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ideally 10-12 weeks, they should be with their mother as long as possible so they can learn the social skills and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Certainly not six weeks :eek: If you're adopting a single kitten i'd wait until he/she is 11/12 weeks. If you opt for a pair then 8/10 weeks is fine. Be warned, a pair of kittens are a lot less work than a single one;)

Advertisement