Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP

• 01-06-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Could someone explain to me the difference between windows XP home, windows XP professional and wondows XP media centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In a nutshell, they are all versions of Windows XP Professional.

XP Professional is pretty much the full package. You can install it into corporate networks, install pretty much any software, and so forth.

XP Home is XP Pro scaled down for home users. You can't really use it in a corporate environment, and there are a number of under-the-bonnet features that aren't available, such as Group Policy. Certain configuration items are dumbed down or locked out.

Media Centre is XP pro with a few extra media-oriented gadgets bolted on. From what I gather, Microsoft's intention was that people would use Media Centre Edition as the OS of choice for the HTPC - the all-in-one entertainment centre that sat under your TV. Since this has yet to catch on in any meaningful way, Media Centre has been installed on new PCs and laptops because of the extra gadgetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

seamus wrote:
    In a nutshell, they are all versions of Windows XP Professional.

XP Professional is pretty much the full package. You can install it into corporate networks, install pretty much any software, and so forth.

XP Home is XP Pro scaled down for home users. You can't really use it in a corporate environment, and there are a number of under-the-bonnet features that aren't available, such as Group Policy.

Media Centre is XP pro with a few extra media-oriented gadgets bolted on. From what I gather, Microsoft's intention was that people would use Media Centre Edition as the OS of choice for the HTPC - the all-in-one entertainment centre that sat under your TV. Since this has yet to catch on in any meaningful way, Media Centre has been installed on new PCs and laptops because of the extra gadgetry.

Oh right thanks alot! I am looking for audio devices to sue with a computer, and ones I know to work with XP home have a statement saying that they ahvn't been tested on XP media centre. Though if they're virtually the same thing, I dunno if there's a reason they wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

All of the above is about correct except for the Media Centre bit. Its not just a few add on bits , its a complete front end for hooking a PC up to a wide screen TV , to use as a PVR , music jukebox , DVD jukebox , photo projector type of thing.

Its included with All copies of Vista except business , but is only included in Win XP MCE , it is not in Win XP pro and cannot be added to it.

Its also very particular about which hardware will work with the front end display , for instance the TV tuner cards must be an approved type or they wont work.

In short the Sound card and Tuner cards must be MCE approved for them to work , As far as it catching on , There is a very sizeable HTPC contingent out there , but most build their own , I would imagine it will become mainstream now that more people have flatscreen TV's and its included in every copy of Vista.

I have one set up now for a year , the Missus loves it to bits , wont let me near it , she loves being able to play music and movies from the couch without ever changing a disc .

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

Have a look at the review here

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_mce2005.asp

Theres also a quite busy Media Centre / HTPC forum on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mathias wrote:
    In short the Sound card and Tuner cards must be MCE approved for them to work , As far as it catching on , There is a very sizeable HTPC contingent out there , but most build their own , I would imagine it will become mainstream now that more people have flatscreen TV's and its included in every copy of Vista.
    It's definitely catching on, but at the time that MCE was launched it was very much a niche market. A few companies had tried to built and sell these but had limited success. With disposable cash generally at an all time high, and other systems vying for the "Entertainment centre" tag (PS3), it's going to become a big, big market in the next few years.

Anyone replacing their main telly now would be silly to not go for a HD one, and most of these now come in HDMI inputs (as well as plenty of other things). So If you can buy a machine that you can easily plug into your big TV, switch it on, and it works out of the box, then that's going to be a big hit.

Advertisement