Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 pistol

Options
  • 01-06-2007 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

hey im shooting for a few years now and looking to get a .22 pistol and doing some target. i love the look of the sig mosquito and want to know if anyone has one and what they are like for performance and accuratecy etc.......and does anyone know anywhere in or near dublin were i can get one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

hey im shooting for a few years now and looking to get a .22 pistol and doing some target. i love the look of the sig mosquito and want to know if anyone has one and what they are like for performance and accuratecy etc.......and does anyone know anywhere in or near dublin were i can get one?

Looks pretty alright, but that's not why you buy a firearm, or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

its not no but i dont want a mad looking thing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How about a thing that'll hit the target? :D
    Get yourself a target pistol to start on (hell, get an air pistol). That way, you'll learn to shoot pistols. If you want to plink with a funny-looking yoke later, you'll know if it's you missing or it. Start on the funny-looking yoke and you'll never learn, it'd be like learning to drive on an automatic instead of a manual gearbox.

im already used to shooting 9mm semis though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They're fantastic for practicising stoppage drills with.

• Advertisement

are they that bad what would you recommend

civdef wrote:
    They're fantastic for practicising stoppage drills with.
    9mm's or Mosquitos? :D

Pete, from what the rathdrum tests showed, things like the Walther P22 can't even hold the target during an ISSF style match, even with the target shooting barrel. However, something like a Browning buckmark will do quite well - one of the CDPC chaps shot with that and had quite decent results with it.

I would say that a lot of the US ISSF shooters advise to steer clear of the Ruger 2 though.

Personally, I'd lean towards an IZH .22 if you could find one. Failing that, a GSP or something similar. If it'll shoot well in an ISSF match, it'll shoot well in any .22 match and that'll give you a wider range of matches you could enter.

thanks for that im gonna have a look now see if i can find one!

Makarov 9mm

I don't shoot pistol and I knocked in some sweet scores with that in the US... better scores then with a .22 red dot system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Ruger 22/45. is a very tidy pistol...although not strictly target pistol in the issf style they're more than a match for anything else out there......cheap enough too....altho stripping and cleaning is a chore....but will cycle anything and are plenty accurate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Some folks here would advise you to RUN AWAY very quickly from the SIG mosquito:eek: It seems to be you either get one that works very well,or not at all.

Sparks wrote:
    Start on the funny-looking yoke and you'll never learn, it'd be like learning to drive on an automatic instead of a manual gearbox.

Not the best analogy Sparks, at least in an automatic you learn how to steer and use the brakes ;)

A better analogy would be a nailgun, sorry on second thoughts no, the sig and the nailgun won't hit the target, but at least you can use the nailgun for sticking bits of wood together :D:D

Seriously Peter, look at the other thread where you asked this question. There were a few suggestions there that won't cost you a bomb and will allow you to compete.

If you do a search on this forum for 'mosquito' you'll read a few reasons why not to buy one.

Sparks loves his IZH 35's, but they are very hard to come by in any kind of decent nick. It's rated by the Russians as a decent beginners gun, and that's why it was copied so much. In their original form, they look like something that fell off a lorry and lay in a ditch for 10 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

I've being shooting the Beretta 87 Target for a couple of years now...fantastic little gun. Haven't found a round it didn't like, a couple of thousand rounds cycled through it with only one jam, if I remember correctly. In the right hands, a very accurate gun too....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

is that beretta .22? why is the Walther so bad?

why is the Walther so bad?
    It's not bad, it's just not good for target shooting. Walther do do several very good .22 pistols for target shooting - the GSP, the SSP and they repolish and repackage the Baikal as the KSP. But the P22, it's not designed for target shooting. As far as I can see, it's only designed to let people pretend they have a P99!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

i see, so what is the 22 pistol to have, the sig sounds good but hasnt got great reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

is that beretta .22? why is the Walther so bad?

Sure is....http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=2&ids=33

Agree with Sparks, I've shot the P22 also. Looks good on a webpage, but in the flesh is very small and light....Didn't like it myself.

i see, so what is the 22 pistol to have
    Hate to say it, but that's a real "how long is a piece of string" question.
    First off, what kind of target shooting are you thinking of doing with it? Something like a GSP is great for ISSF, but can't be used for other events (say, anything that needs more than five rounds in the magazine for example). Once you have a rough idea of what you want, that'll give you a shorter list of choices. Then look to your budget. That'll give you a shorter list yet.

Unfortunately, at that point, the best advice in the world is "try before you buy". Pistols, even more than rifles, just feel different to different people and personal preference will have enormous effect on your choice. Not to mention your proficiency. Even in a homogeneous part of the sport like ISSF, where there aren't loads of choices because of the restrictions in the rules and from the need to be competitive, you still get wide variation - some people prefer the GSPs, some the AW93s. Weight, weight distribution, rake angle, sight adjustments, all these little things are things you have to pick the pistol up and shoot with it to evaluate it properly. And that means, for now at least, going to the club and asking to try someone else's pistol to get a feel for it.
    (This is legal, btw, under section 2 of the firearms acts, but your club may not permit it - check first).

i see, so what is the 22 pistol to have, the sig sounds good but hasnt got great reviews

As Sparks says, depends what you want to do with it. The likes of the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22, are basically plinking guns, and are no great shakes with accuarcy.

In the mid range there are pistols like the Hämmerli X-esse in three flavours, the Browning Buckmark, the Walther KSP200, though I think it's not being made any more and there are a couple of Rugers as well. The CZ Kadett is also well thought of.

Most of those have bigger mags than the pure ISSF pistols, but would hold up well in an ISSF match, so you wouldn't be limiting yourself. Prices are in the €500 - €700 range, which tells you all you need to know about the cheaper ones.

Think long and hard about buying a pistol. You'll have to go through a lot of hoops to get a licence, so it's worth your while to make sure you make the right decision for yourself.

You wrote:
    I've being shooting the Beretta 87 Target for a couple of years now...fantastic little gun. Haven't found a round it didn't like, a couple of thousand rounds cycled through it with only one jam, if I remember correctly. In the right hands, a very accurate gun too....

That Beretta looks pretty decent. At 835g weight it should be pretty good on target. What kind of money do they go for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement