Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Un-naturally Tired

Options
  • 01-06-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm not completely stressing out like some people - I know I'm on top of things, but the last few days I am just pure shattered.
    The school study starts at 20 to 9 every morning, and goes on to half 9 at night (incl Wednesdays). Then there's the optional Saturday for four hours.
    I'v done all the study slots available when some people took a day off here and there, but now it's taking its toll.

I know it's nearly over but my sleeping patterns have completely changed. I'm getting home with no energy to even get food, and just sleeping til the next morning when I have to repeat the study.

It's only today I was told to lay off it a bit by friends and my parents (my eyes have been bloodshot the last two days).

Any tips to get around this (except for taking time off it)? Cos I don't want to be burned out before next Wednesday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

http://purecaffeine.info/ Caffeine if you're desperate, it might be a good backup if you do feel burnt out before an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Take a few more breaks:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Hmm, I almost envy you slightly, my school doesn't even allow us on the grounds to study...

but I do sympathise, I tend to run myself into the ground a bit as well, though usually not in the same way as yourself. There's a couple of things I'd advise.

1. Firstly, eat a ton. Forget about any "low carb" "No fat" "no dairy" diets or eating fads, eat everything. You don't want to overload on nothing but caffeine and sugar as that'll just burn you out quicker but lots of sandwiches, three solid meals and snacks in between. Yes you'll probably put on weight but you can get over that once the exams are finished. The food will help you keep our energy reserves high, keep you awake and help stop you burning yourself out.

2. Take a Half day. you say you don't want to take a full day off. First of all, bad idea not to take a day to relax, if you don't chances are your body will force you too and you'll end up very very sick sometime before or during the exams. Not good. However you sound like a bit of a workaholic and you probably aren't going to listen to people telling you to take a day off so take a half day instead. Come home early or go to study late, do nothing for a few hours, or just sleep in longer.

3. Lastly, take a closer look at yourself. With study hours like that I have a feeling (though I'm open to correcting) that you might be attending some sort of prolific private school. Remember schools like that are relying on you to get decent results so they can keep their reputation. Hence all the emphasis is put on the exam and nothing else. Which funnily enough is actually a bad thing. You're a human, not a computer and the leaving cert is not the be all and end all of everything. Even if you are going for Medicine or Law. To put it above your own health is a little on the crazy side of things, so don't beat yourself up if you need to take a day to rest. You've obviously put in a lot of work so you wont forget it all if you don't open a book for one day.

Best of luck with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thats a pretty inspirational post I must say:)
    Do what he said^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

For the last week or two, I seem to be eating nothing at all.. i dont seem to have an appetite. Its obviously stress and worry, but I hardly need any points and i got almost 3 times the amount I need in the mocks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm the exact same, i've been really tired over the last few days, i've been studying a lot. i think i'll have to try calm down the study a bit, i dont want to "burn out" before the exams, that's why i'm on boards:rolleyes: gettin away from the ould study, i should probably get back.....ah no.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

No matter how much time off I take and how much sleep i get,I always wake up shattered and stay like that all day.Its not from too much work its just the worry.To recharge you need to be able to relax and go to sleep with nothing on your mind thats stressing you,but whenever I have time to think about nothing(lying in bed) the exams float into my mind,I get stressed thinking about them-goodbye good nights sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Hmm, I almost envy you slightly, my school doesn't even allow us on the grounds to study...

but I do sympathise, I tend to run myself into the ground a bit as well, though usually not in the same way as yourself. There's a couple of things I'd advise.

1. Firstly, eat a ton. Forget about any "low carb" "No fat" "no dairy" diets or eating fads, eat everything. You don't want to overload on nothing but caffeine and sugar as that'll just burn you out quicker but lots of sandwiches, three solid meals and snacks in between. Yes you'll probably put on weight but you can get over that once the exams are finished. The food will help you keep our energy reserves high, keep you awake and help stop you burning yourself out.

2. Take a Half day. you say you don't want to take a full day off. First of all, bad idea not to take a day to relax, if you don't chances are your body will force you too and you'll end up very very sick sometime before or during the exams. Not good. However you sound like a bit of a workaholic and you probably aren't going to listen to people telling you to take a day off so take a half day instead. Come home early or go to study late, do nothing for a few hours, or just sleep in longer.

3. Lastly, take a closer look at yourself. With study hours like that I have a feeling (though I'm open to correcting) that you might be attending some sort of prolific private school. Remember schools like that are relying on you to get decent results so they can keep their reputation. Hence all the emphasis is put on the exam and nothing else. Which funnily enough is actually a bad thing. You're a human, not a computer and the leaving cert is not the be all and end all of everything. Even if you are going for Medicine or Law. To put it above your own health is a little on the crazy side of things, so don't beat yourself up if you need to take a day to rest. You've obviously put in a lot of work so you wont forget it all if you don't open a book for one day.

Best of luck with everything.

Good god yes! totally second this! i can honestly say that without my daily feeding routine i would not be able to cope with the lack of sleep and sheer exhaustion. thank you fry-ups, toasted sandwiches, tea (i love u!), CHOCOLATE and my mother's roasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I really think what you should do is spend a whole day in bed because you really need to catch up in your sleep. From reading your routine it looks like you have done enough study so go down a gear for a day. Thats all a day. It will do a world of good.

Plus take loads of lucozade tablets before the exam i.e the packet :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Haha. I consistantly went to bed ridiculously late for two years. Now I'm used to it and all you people going to bed early are suffering, gwahahaha!

Or else i'm not doing as much study as you guys?

I might disconnect my PC tomorrow, it distracts me too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Honestly take this weekend off if you've got most stuff covered. Sleep your brains out and drink plenty of water. I ended up doing myself serious damage last year and was out for a week could hardly function!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

have you been exercising at all?

Advertisement