Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordyline

Options
  • 01-06-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have a cordyline growing out my back garden for 7yrs and this year it has sprouted an stem from the top with small white flowers on it?

Has it reached puberty or something? anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I have a cordyline growing out my back garden for 7yrs and this year it has sprouted an stem from the top with small white flowers on it?

Has it reached puberty or something? anyone know what it is?

Yep ..... it's the birds and the Bee's ...... you should get a strong and attractive scent from it .... I have three plants in my garden but never had any offspring ...... maybe they are all gals !!!! .... :p

this photo was taken a month or so ago .... today there are at least ten bunches of flowers (as shown in your photo) .... :)

dsc00004vx3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

hobie wrote:
    I have three plants in my garden but never had any offspring ...... maybe they are all gals !!!! .... :p

The flowers of the Cordyline are hermaphrodite.
    hobie, perhaps yours just need a bit of stress such as a drought or lowering of soil fertility to cause them to flower.

The flowers of the Cordyline are hermaphrodite.
    hobie, perhaps yours just need a bit of stress such as a drought or lowering of soil fertility to cause them to flower.

In my garden of Eden ...... :confused:

Impossible ...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

apart from giving off a scent and possibly germinating other ones, would there be any problem cutting it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

No problem at all.
    Just create a clean cut with no burrs.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    apart from giving off a scent and possibly germinating other ones, would there be any problem cutting it off?

Why would you want to cut it off ...... enjoy the scent .... wait till the flowers fade and then by all means cut it off .... it will eventually fall off anyway .... ;)

ps. I think I might go and take a photo of the flowers on my trees .... :)

Some more flowers ....

dsc00002gu2.jpg

Advertisement