Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routing Internet Traffic Back Home

Options
  • 01-06-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am travelling to the states in the summer and I need to use an application on my computer which is seen to be running from Ireland, or anywhere outside of the states. It is a poker client, however, there are no routing options like a proxy etc in the client.

I want to run the client on my laptop and so i need to catch all the traffic on a certain port on the laptop and re-route it back home where my home pc will pick up the info and send it on. So basically work exactly like a proxy, however I need a program to run on my laptop that intercepts the packets and run one for my home PC to accept them.

Do I make sense? In theory this seems easy, however, I cant find any info on it.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

What about remote desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Remote desktop would work in a way but not the most ideal.

You could set up a proxy server on your home computer and use something like this: http://www.proxifier.com/documentation/http-proxy.htm on your client to grab all HTTP traffic and redirect it to your home computer.

You will more than likely need a static IP on your home computer.

Of course this only works with HTTP traffic but i'm guessing that application might use that protocol. What is the name of the poker software?

Edit: check this out instead: http://www.proxifier.com/documentation/intro.htm

Use something like this on your home machine: http://socks.pendulus.net/

You can use SOCKS then as your proxy protocol, this allows all protocols to be re directed without modifying the packets/segments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rickybutcher

Your internet gateway device will, almost certainly, have an option for dyndns. Every time your internet is turned on your device will contact to a DNS server and tell it that blahblahblah.dyndns.org is your home IP.

So, make sure port 443 on your internet gateway is forwarded to a computer on your LAN, then set up Remote Web Desktop (google for it, it's easy) on a HTTPS port and if that's working you can stick https://blahblahblah.dyndns.org into IE from anywhere in the world and open up a secure remote desktop connection to your home computer. Might be worth opening up another port for the standard remote desktop service too, as you might not always be able to install an ActiveX control on the www browser you're using.

Just make sure the computer and installation is reliable and that it's not used for any purpose other than your remote desktop, otherwise you might be left stuck.

I was going to suggest dyndns as well to overcome to problems with the dynamic IP. This is third party software afaik? So I doubt your internet gateway device will have an option like this by default. Then again i could be wrong as rick thinks it is? I dunno :)

The thing i suggest up there as well, you could simply find a Irish Sock server then you wouldn't need your own computer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

its an ipoker client. GJP, PaddyPower, CDPoker etc.

Cheers for the links, I will have a look into it, I have a fixed IP at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Not wanting to burst any bubbles, but I believe online gambling like this is illegal in the US, I recall hearing a businessman who traveled over getting arrested for "allowing US residents to gamble online" or some such lark.

To be honest, I am not a lawyer, and I dont have much knowledge of US law, but I suggest you check that out as well, just in case it is, I would hate to get caught.

Its the results of the law that has me trying to route my traffic back home before going to the poker sites!

Im probably just going to move sites for the duration of my stay. I dont want to leave my home pc on, nobody will be in the house during the time

thanks for the replies, have to wait for that mobile ip stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I would suggest creating a VPN tunnel back to your home network and then just pointing your network in the US at the home gateway. There are a few open source and free VPN solutions out there, you will have to use a DDNS if you don't have a static address or you could cough up the €50 (or there abouts) it is to get a static address.

I wouldn't be too worried about the law in the states. You won't have any problems playing an non US based site (if there are any left!), its not as if Uncky Sam is listening to everyones traffic! Beside, with a VPN connection you'll have some level of encryption!!

Yeah VPN looks like the best option, I already have a static IP which is pretty sweet. Im not too concerned about Uncle Sam its just the site actually blocks the IPs from the US!

Anyway thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

If I dont have a static IP and can leave my home pc on Whats the best software to use for this doesn't matter how much it costs(well within reason).
    I know nothing about VPN will have to look into that too
    someone gave me this link, It this any use?
    https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

• Advertisement

The link is by the looks of it just the same as Remote Desktop or using a remote access thing such as VNC which is definetely an option but i would imagine it would be slow.

I would imagine a lot of work would be involved in setting up a Virtual Private Network, but then again I never done this so someone correct me on this.

If you don't have a static PC you will need a domain that maps dynamically to a changing IP address which is done/updated using a client software on the computer (or some routers include this option such as DynDNS which was suggested above I think).
    This will overcome the problem with the Dynamic IP.
    I've barely used DynDNS myself but check it out: http://www.dyndns.com/

By the way, you got two accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Cheers
    No don't have two accounts just have the same problem.
    The WSOP is starting soon so alot of Irish players are heading to the US and we all would still like to play are non-US sites over their.
    Would a VPN be faster that a remote access client
    My home connection is 6Mb down and 512Kb up

Advertisement