Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Options
  • 01-06-2007 9:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Got this today but haven't played it, the football is on. Can't wait to give it a go. Legend was alright but needed better level design.com I'm hoping the marrage of fhe classic level design of TR with the gameplay of legend makes this a great game. Got 9/10 on eurogamer.

BTW, I think gamestop santry mispriced it at 40 stingers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

'Twas 40 in HMV Grafton too, so probably no mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really enjoying this music and background atmosphere needs a special mention. Loads of familiar locations although levels are no where near as big as the old ones so some areas are cut.com Can't wait to get to the cistern level. I remember it blowing me away on my P100 with a power VR 3D card :) Miles better than legend since it has the atmosphere and sense of adventure down perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

40 is a bit steep for a remake, 20 would be a bit more like it I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trust me it's worth it. It's a remake in the same way resident evil on the gamecube is a remake. It's improved so much it's basically a whole new gaming experience.com locations are familiar but are completely different and it also controls an awful lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep us updated Retro.
    I really liked Legend and if this is better can only be a good thing.
    No shiny 360 version though :(

• Advertisement

I'm off to greece tomorrow (in game) so hopefully the cistern will impress me. My only small concern is the smaller environments of the levels. You are never looking around the environment wondering how you can use it best like in the original. Still it's a lot less linear than the most games these days. Looks gorgeous for a PS2 game. Excellent game. Just finished Croft Manor as well and it's a great little distraction. Highly recommended and it's heading for a 9/10 from me. One small problem is that the T-rex isn't a standout moment anymore just a dodgy boss battle. Hope the boss battles get better, didn't like the ones in legend.

There probably will be a 360 version. There are lots of hidden stuff and unlockables that seem to be tailor made for achievements.

Edit: ****ing Wii predictive text dot ****ing com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Yeh, I was wondering why the hell you were saying .com lols

The bit that blew me away in the first one was when you get into the collesium sort of place, and watch the draw distance go as far as it could. It was a huge open space, and was a joy to watch on the old (very very old) rig. I might get this actually, looking better every time I hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rofl at the .coms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heh I was wondering what kind of weird personal joke you were getting up to with the .coms for the last few days :)

St. Francis' Folly is a piece of level design beauty.

Just got to the cistern, although it's not as impressive as the old level since it's been rolled into another level. Stopping now don't want to burn this game out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Cracking game, in close towards the end of egypt now. really brings back meories of the original. hope they remake II, best of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok guys the speed time roll thing wont work for me.

when i am fighting the t rex i enrage him he runs for me and i press **** and w or a or d or s and nothing happens any ideas ?

You need to be moving left or right when you press the dodge button.

Just at egypt myself.
    Cracking game, in close towards the end of egypt now. really brings back meories of the original. hope they remake II, best of the lot.

Thought Tomb Raider 2 was woeful. It had no soul, boring locations and stupid human enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Retr0gamer wrote:

Thought Tomb Raider 2 was woeful. It had no soul, boring locations and stupid human enemies.

Aye, I only noticed how bad the second one was when I was older.
    Tomb Raider 1 > Tomb Raider 3 > Tomb Raider 2. I never bothered with the rest.

Just in the great pyramid after Natlas mines, some really nasty puzzles\obstacles in the game. I find theres alot of repeating, particularly with the balance on the top of poles bits.

TR2 might'nt have had soul but it was a huge game. took ages to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cant get it workin anyone wana give me a detailed how to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got it for the PC today... The 360 controller works just fine, which is a good thing seeing as the keyboard mouse controls seemed a bit ropey.

Haven't gone to far in it yet, but it is fun playing through all the old levels again... and I love how the originals music is back too.

Swimming is still a bit of a pain in the ass though.

Press a or then hold it down then press shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Aye, I only noticed how bad the second one was when I was older.
    Tomb Raider 1 > Tomb Raider 3 > Tomb Raider 2. I never bothered with the rest.
    I gave up after the second one... too much emphasis on action in that one. It just wasn't fun. Found it difficult to motivate myself to play it... finished it over a period of 4 or 5 years! :eek: It was the only game I played through using an infinite ammo cheat.

I considered getting Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation but by then my interest in games was waining (against my will!) and I had a number of games I hadn't touched so I decided not to bother.

Anniversary is on my 'to play' list along with a bunch of other games I own but haven't even started. One step at a time though....

1. Finish Okami.
    2. Do same with God Hand.

Finished it just under 17 hours play. Cracking game, pissed that i played it so much and finished it this weekend.

• Advertisement

Yep.. I didn't get into the third one at all really... despite the fact that it had monkeys in it... it just didn't play very well.

The one the Dreamcast wasn't too bad though.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was horrible though... "My arms feel stronger"... WTF?

I did the dinosaur bit in Anniversary today... the lost valley certainly seems a lot smaller than in the original... How was that T-rex surviving in such a small stretch of land?

Oh.. and I love this pic:
    LaraCroftTombRaiderEvoWAnniv.jpg

Same as myself, played 3, got as far as london and just went 'bleh'. AOD was horrible almost killed the series, finished it anyway. Legend revived it and anniversaries just brilliant.

yeah felt it was a bit smaller alrite but then again it was years ago when most of us played the original.

yeah felt it was a bit smaller alrite but then again it was years ago when most of us played the original.
    Yep.. I was probably a bit shorter 10 years ago so everything seemed bigger.

Finished it today, cracking game all round. It does wane a bit in the last two atlantis levels but so did the original.

Replayed a few levels for the commentaries which are fantastic especially Toby Gards comments. Pity I don't have time to go through them again.
    I did the dinosaur bit in Anniversary today... the lost valley certainly seems a lot smaller than in the original... How was that T-rex surviving in such a small stretch of land?

You should listen to the commentaries, they show the true effect of nostalgia. Many of the levels I thought were too small, such as the waterfall and lost valley were made to scale first but then doubled in size when playtesters thought they were too small. The T-rex is also a hell of a lot bigger even though I thought he was bigger in the original.

He also explains the cuts from the game and I agree with him since the smaller areas flow a lot better in the new game.

I really like lack off combat in the game and believe it would have worked just as well with none.

Might have to play last revelation since it's meant to be excellent and arcade loved it.

Nostalgia always distorts memory. was playing it with the sister tonight, who plays the originals regularly and she said it was arond the same. Hell of alot more difficult than the original, its gets insanely hard in the middle of egypt.

Revalations good but dissapointingly short.

Do you still have to shoot that French bloke in the face about a 100 times in order to beat him? That always seemed a bit silly to me.

I never got around to completely Last Revelation actually... The main problem with it was the lack of variety in how all the levels looked.

Great tutorial level though... you play as Lara as a young girl.

I found the original a lot tougher. Even with unlimited saves on PC I found the platformer a lot tougher and the level layouts bigger and more complex. I remember finishing TR1 with 1000+ saves :)

Would have liked to finish TR3 but my memory card corrupted on the second last level. Most of it was enjoyable other than london and area 51 and when it got silly in india. It's a shame that TR2 started so good but just got boring quickly. Boring oil tankers and such couldn't beat and atmospheric tomb. The emphasis on combat sucked since it never worked in TR.

Were there unlimited saves in Tomb Raider on the PC?

I'm sure I remember having to put up with the annoying crystal save points...

There was a bit in Midas Palace I think with a bunch of flames that you had to run through before they came back on that drove me nuts for ages as I had to keep going back to the save point.

For monkeyfudge:
    nope, would liked to have shot him. And that nasty flame puzzle is back but reworked and a lot easier

Actual have another small annoyance, the rake of boss battles in the mines have been reduced to two QTC cutscenes that aren't exactly up there with the knife fight with Krauser. Shame because the bosses other than the T-rex were decent if nothing special. Better than the rubbish ones in legend.

• Advertisement

no way the oringinal did'nt have balance poles and running slong the wall. The balance poles and crushers in egypt drive me mad.

Advertisement