Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

no way the oringinal did'nt have balance poles and running slong the wall. The balance poles and crushers in egypt drive me mad.

They were particularly annoying alright. But there's always a save point nearby. The original was much meaner when it came to instant death jumps.

Speaking of which, ragdoll physics suck. I much prefer the old crumpling up animation that left lara twisted and broken and hearing every bone in lara's body breaking in a sickening crunch. They got rid of that soundeffect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I missed the bit wit the boss monster on the great pramid where fell and it was so far down she screamed 3 times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was also a great animation were he picked you up like a ragdoll and smased you off the ground a few times before dangling you in front of him to take a look and tossing you away.

The save crystals were in TR1 and 3 on the PS1. Not sure about 2 because I only ever played that on PC. TR1 and 2 had unlimited saves on PC not sure about TR3 since I played that on PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What would people recommend, Pc or Ps2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Holsten wrote:
    What would people recommend, Pc or Ps2?

PC by far,

Will look way nicer,

Havent tried the ps2 one but it looks great on the PC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I have the ps2 version and its great, it looks lovely even on ps2. I coudve gone for PC but i just didnt fancy sitting at my desk playing it with a keyboard (dont have a pc joypad). Playing it on my PS3 on a 23" hdtv, looks very nice indeed, tho im sure nowhere near as good as the pc.
    But looks aside, the game is just fantastic. I was a bit late to the tomb raider party, and only bought TR1 around 98 or 99 (i was out of work and couldnt afford full price games, so bought second hand ones!). It was great even then.
    The only others i played were Tomb raider: TLR on the DC which i found pretty dull to be honest, never bothered completing it. And had AOD on the ps2 which was an absolute joke of a game.
    Legend on the 360 was a solid game, a nice return to form but i still didnt like the urban levels, for me its all about the raiding tombs, which is why id definitely mark TR:A as the best TR game yet.

EDIT
    also i think this thread warrants a

karima_adebibe.jpg

Discuss.

*drool*

Did anyone read the IGN review. I know that IGN isn't what it used to be but the TR:A review is absolutely atrocious, I've seen better written reviews on gamefaqs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Press a or then hold it down then press shift.

okk im gona shoot my self or my game is glitched?

i hold down a or d and then press shift and all she does is roll ?

Dunno how you play with a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... it works perfect with a 360 controller, it will even give you vibrations.

It's the X button and a movement direction to dodge on the controller anyway.

I finished St. Francis's Folly this morning... ha.. I completely forgot that you could use your rope to pull out platforms... I still managed to get one of the keys by pulling off a big jump that put a huge dent in my health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Were there unlimited saves in Tomb Raider on the PC?

I'm sure I remember having to put up with the annoying crystal save points...

There was a bit in Midas Palace I think with a bunch of flames that you had to run through before they came back on that drove me nuts for ages as I had to keep going back to the save point.
    IMHO having (intelligently placed) save crystals is the best way of keeping the game challenging... otherwise I find myself saving constantly.

Which method does Anniversary use?

Fnz wrote:
    IMHO having (intelligently placed) save crystals is the best way of keeping the game challenging... otherwise I find myself saving constantly.

Which method does Anniversary use?
    It uses the same checkpoint system that was in Tomb Raider Legend.

The check points are all intelligently positioned so you never really need to worry about anything.

By the way... I like how they are retconing some story elements in this game to fit in with the storyline of Tomb Raider Legend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im going to have to buy this game over the weekend. Too bad it got pulled from steam for Irish customers.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I like how you can plug in your 360 controller while the game is running and it just works, no restarting the game, also you can pop back to keyboard and mouse at any time during play.

Yep... words can not describe how well the 360 controller works with this... I keep forgetting I'm playing it on my PC.

For anyone looking, (PC/CDROM) found it on CDWOW for €23.99! with free delivery too.

http://www.cdwow.ie/detail_results_3.php?product_code=1894979&subcat=pc

forgive me if this is old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Got this game today for pc and am trying to use the ps2 usb controller but I can't control the camera without using the mouse. Was anyone able to control the camera using a gamepad?

Yep it's the right stick on the Xbox 360 controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rumour on the street is the games going to be released on Xbox Live in level from. Download is not the ideal way to get games, but will wait and see if this comes to fruition.

I'm playing through it pretty slowly as I haven't a huge amount of time to dedicate to gaming at the moment...

They completely shrunk the colosseum level... and I've just started the Midas palace and it seems a lot smaller too seeing as how you encounter the Midas statue first thing...

Downloading level by level would not be good value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

god's toy wrote:
    For anyone looking, (PC/CDROM) found it on CDWOW for €23.99! with free delivery too.

http://www.cdwow.ie/detail_results_3.php?product_code=1894979&subcat=pc

forgive me if this is old news.

cool thats like half price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Im stuck in egypt and considering giving it up altogether. I just cnt get my head around this temple of khamoon or whatever its called. The place with all the spinning blades, where you have to get 4 items, ankh, scarab, eye and cat. Just for the life of me cant figure out how to get the cat one, its absolutely doing my head in, i was loving the game up til i got here, now i just want to pack it in :mad:

Gamefaqs

That level wasn't so bad. It had a sort of linear progression but I can understand if you get totally lost in it.

The Midas Palace used to be one of my favourite levels, but I think they made a bit of a balls of it...

It also seemed to be a little bit bugged for me too. In the room with all the platforms and fire the fire didn't actually turn itself on until I had gotten the lead bar and was leaving the room.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Gamefaqs

That level wasn't so bad. It had a sort of linear progression but I can understand if you get totally lost in it.

The crushers and balance poles bits drove me nuts.

I'm currently stuck in the great pyramid level. Im at the bit where you must make your way up through a shaft on timed ledges,poles and grappling hook thingys. I remember this level was hard in the original game but they have gone too far with this bit. The camera refuses to co-operate with me as I swing from pole to pole and I end up facing the wrong way etc. and falling into the lava when the timer runs out. Its bloody hard.

I'm currently stuck in the great pyramid level. Im at the bit where you must make your way up through a shaft on timed ledges,poles and grappling hook thingys. I remember this level was hard in the original game but they have gone too far with this bit. The camera refuses to co-operate with me as I swing from pole to pole and I end up facing the wrong way etc. and falling into the lava when the timer runs out. Its bloody hard.

Tis tough alrite, no real puzzles there. It's all timed.

Your probably playing a 'downloaded' copy of this game. The released copy of the game has fixed this by giving a checkpoint after each section since the reviewers complained about this in the review code that was sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Retr0gamer wrote:
    *drool*

Did anyone read the IGN review. I know that IGN isn't what it used to be but the TR:A review is absolutely atrocious, I've seen better written reviews on gamefaqs.

lost all faith in ign when they started having different reviews for different regions (austrialian version for example). Followed a link to a review page a while ago, and there was about 6 different percent scores for this one game - and the difference between highest and lowest was ~30-40%... like wth is that about? :confused: :mad:

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Your probably playing a 'downloaded' copy of this game. The released copy of the game has fixed this by giving a checkpoint after each section since the reviewers complained about this in the review code that was sent out.
    No, I am playing a PS2 copy that I purchased in Game.I dont have any "downloaded games".

Advertisement