Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens cycles

Options
  • 01-06-2007 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I recall an experiment done a long time ago that women that live together will eventually sync their cycles.

That an urban legend and if not anyone any bets on what will happen? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It doesn't happen with all women. It can be affected by all sorts of hormonal things.

It's not an urban legend but it's not as clear cut as to be a given in all cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

In such a large group of women, it's pretty much guaranteed that at least some of them will synchronise over time. Drawing on my own experience of living with several other girls, I'd say the ones that are close might get a bit grumpy an weepy together and there are definitely some characters in there that have the potential to go postal (although that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being premenstrual!) Whether hormonal upsets are likely to be directed towards the other females or any males that are in the house, I really couldn't say... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Some of them will surely be on some sort of hormonal birth control - the pill*, an implant, Mirena or Depoprovera - either for birth control purposes in their usual lives or so as they won't have to have periods while they're in there. Added to that, two of them are past that part of life
    So it's not like there'll be 11 of them all coming on at the same time, some of them might, as has been said, but even for those of them who are not on anything, there are other factors too. Stress can make you late and I'd reckon a few of them will get stressed while they're in there, too!

*Yeah, I know you do bleed on the pill, but not if you skip the placebos/take packets back to back. That's why I mentioned it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Hobbes wrote:
    I recall an experiment done a long time ago that women that live together will eventually sync their cycles.

That an urban legend and if not anyone any bets on what will happen? :)
    No experiment was done - women knew this for centuries. Convents, harems, etc

It's one of those things that just happens and no one is 100% sure why. Usually the cycles of the women affected would fall in line with the lunar cycle.

But as spurious said, it doesn't affect all and as Hydroquinone mentioned, many of them will probably be on the pill. Maybe some of them will not take a break so as to not have a period in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I went to an all girls boarding school, and yes, everyone had their periods at the same time.....CHAOTIC is not the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Some of them will surely be on some sort of hormonal birth control - the pill*, an implant, Mirena or Depoprovera - either for birth control purposes in their usual lives or so as they won't have to have periods while they're in there. Added to that, two of them are past that part of life
    So it's not like there'll be 11 of them all coming on at the same time, some of them might, as has been said, but even for those of them who are not on anything, there are other factors too. Stress can make you late and I'd reckon a few of them will get stressed while they're in there, too!

*Yeah, I know you do bleed on the pill, but not if you skip the placebos/take packets back to back. That's why I mentioned it in there.

Yeah but you're not advised to do more than 2 packs back to back...as in, don't do 3. It causes oestrogen build-up...which is bad news. And they're in there for 3 months...which is more than 3x21 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Is that the latest advice? Fair enough.

Call me mean if you like; but I'd be willing to bet my life's savings that unless there is a BB doctor who physically confiscated packs of pills from people, it seems remarkably likely that the kind of egotistical nitwits who would go onto BB in the first place would be more than capable of ignoring a doctor's advice.

Was that mean? :D

Advertisement