Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Broadband (Satellite 2MB 1 Way)

Options
  • 01-06-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just had this installed 2 days ago at a cost of 380 with 1 month upfront.
    I'm paying 95 for the 2meg connection and would like to know who else uses it or has used it before here on boards. I have one or two things i'd like to get of my chest before i go mental with anger and would just like to see if anybody else is or has had any issues with this service or is it just me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Never heard of them. The site doesn't look the best. What speeds are ya getting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bit late asking now is it not. The €380 charge is very high for what is €150 worth of material including ( most likely) a technicsat skystar card

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Ye the sites a no brainer, a child with crayons could come up with better but its been up a couple of years now so they must have custmers. I 'm like a lot of people and have to use satellite, this is my third company having just cancelled skydsl after quiet a few years, they really have gone to the dogs.
    Irishisp is giving me readings of 257kbps but its not right or more to the point it can't be right as i can barley load a google,ie webpage its that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Sponge Bob wrote:
    bit late asking now is it not. The €380 charge is very high for what is €150 worth of material including ( most likely) a technicsat skystar card

Its not a technisat its a crappy F-10 satellitemodem with no software and only a limited browser interface a 80cm dish, instalation and 1mths surfing so instalation was 280 which i know is expensive but apart from skydsl its more or less the cheapest around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Ye the sites a no brainer, a child with crayons could come up with better but its been up a couple of years now so they must have custmers. I 'm like a lot of people and have to use satellite, this is my third company having just cancelled skydsl after quiet a few years, they really have gone to the dogs.
    Irishisp is giving me readings of 257kbps but its not right or more to the point it can't be right as i can barley load a google,ie webpage its that bad.

I find 'em grand, I've no complaints so far. I was going to get Cross Country Broadband but their terrible site put me off and the installation costs were too expensive for me.

• Advertisement

one way sat should cost no more than about €250 to install.

if you already have the gear ane the OP seems to have had dish/lnb and decent card it should cost no more than €150 to reconfigure...move or pan dish and change a few settings.

€380 is taking the piss .

you can buy a one way sat kit for €130 here

http://www.europeonline.com/en/ordering/eol_product/starterpack.shtml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

excuse me for butting in....but these broadband satellite systems you guys are talking about ...would these be similar to the "free to air" sat systems for TV??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

zone are trying to start up around here, asking 189 up front, me thinks i will stick with dial up for another while as eircom are testing a wireless thingy:confused: , the one where you use an ariel to pick up the signal

There are two or three small but highly competent wireless isps in rural Limerick, maybe pm user jbkenn who is one of those for advice on your area

avoid zone fand puretelecom who are known to use wireless BUT with satellite backhaul they carefully neglect to mention anywhere.

hi s.b. pls put your last quote in laymans terms as i cannot deciper it tnks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

philstar wrote:
    excuse me for butting in....but these broadband satellite systems you guys are talking about ...would these be similar to the "free to air" sat systems for TV??
    No,

Only that they use a Dish.

The one way Internet satellite needs the phone line and will soon be obsolete as the price of 2 way satellite falls.

old boy wrote:
    hi s.b. pls put your last quote in laymans terms as i cannot deciper it tnks

avoid isps who appear or claim to be wireless but are actually satellite with wireless front ends

zone broadband
    pure telecom in some cases where they bought ildana assets

jbkenn could tell you about real wireless in your area

thank you kind sirs, it looks as these guys are going to make a killing around here, they are looking for 25 customers bit it looks more like 250, as i only web browse to pass the time as i am on my own i will stick with what i have, regards folks:cool:

250 customers on satellite backhaul cannot work, which general bit of limerick ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not a million miles from Bruff / Croom area I think. Too far from Woodcock. I've suggested that Knockfearna near Ballingarry would make a nice base station, but not enough people :(

thanks sponge bob i am due a caller next wedensday,

Advertisement