Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance query

Options
  • 01-06-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping some one familiar with the insurance process can help me.

There is a private car park at work which only employees of the company can park in (and obviously visitors, but no public access). The sign on the gate states a pretty standard "vehicles parked entirely at the owners risk. The company accept no reponsibility for loss or damage."

Parking is pretty limited so when I saw what was the only available space I went for it, too bad the car parked in the space next to it was parked a bit crooked. I misjudged it and hit the bumper.

I got a quote for Eur250 which would repair the bumper and wing, and get them resprayed. Another quote I got was for Eur350.

The person whose car I damaged got a quote for Eur400 and told me she'd be looking for more if it didn't look exactly perfect. I asked her to ask the person she found to reduce the quote to Eur300 or so but she refused. Today she told me she wanted my insurance details (insurance company and address?) and only wants to deal through the insurance.

Now, I called my insurance company (quinn direct) who told me to provide her with my details, and asked me to arrange a time that some one could inspect the damage. Basically, if I get three quotes they can approve that is all I will be liable to pay - note, I will have to pay out of my own pocket as it's on private land. Now I don't want to get the insurance company involved at all (as it will mess up my insurance), but the person who I crashed into now only wants to deal through insurance.

What is the next step for the person I crashed into. More importantly, how much do I have to co-operate, given that the tip occurred on private land which doesn't even require a person to have insurance to drive on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

tenchi-fan wrote:
    What is the next step for the person I crashed into.
    To probably call the guards considering how much you seem to be messing around the person whose car you damaged.

You should have initially stumped up the €400 for the repairs without question, as your quibbling with the other person looks like it is now going to cost you your no claims bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

tenchi-fan wrote:
    More importantly, how much do I have to co-operate, given that the tip occurred on private land which doesn't even require a person to have insurance to drive on?

You damaged her car. You offered to pay. She got a very reasonable quote, and you tried to haggle with her? Mate, I'd co-operate if I were you....

There's a lot more that can happen on private land, in underground car parks and the like without anyone hearing your cries for help....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just hand her the €400 (and get a receipt). She got a quote for the damage. If it doesn't look right then its no longer your problem.
    If this goes through insurance you will possibly pay out €400 given that this appears to be the excess with many policies these days. Your premium will also go up!
    Just pay her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Getting quotes for the repairs is none of your business (why on earth would you do it anyway?) as the car is not yours. If you choose to keep this away from your insurer just give her the €400 but also ask her to sign a letter/agreement to say it's in "full and final settlement" of all claims arising from the incident.

I agree she has a right to be annoyed but this "I'll come after you for more money if it's not perfect" is leaving you wide open. If you get her to agree in writing that the €400 is full and final then it's difficult for her to et anything else off you. But then she sounds like she would take issue with signing something like that.

If you're determined to settle privately then be careful. And do it quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

To probably call the guards considering how much you seem to be messing around the person whose car you damaged.
    ??? Call the guards? I asked for help from some one familiar with the insurance process, guards don't generally get involved where no one was hurt, the incident was reported and where insurance details were offered, although 10/10 for being dramatic. :rolleyes:

Day One, tipped her car and we agreed to get things sorted out. Gave her contact details a reputable garage who would get things sorted out for her by next Tuesday, and (as agreed with her) let a panel beater inspect the damage and he give a quote with a guarantee it would be perfect.

Day Two, She came back to me with a quote from "some one she knows" but also said if she's not happy with the end result she's come after me for more (leaving me wide open and potentially facing two bills, if I agreed to it - which I didn't. I was actually careful not to agree to anything without seeking advise first).
    In the meantime I called my insurance company to see where I stood. They advised their procedure would be to send some one to inspect the damage, and THEY would seek out three quotes to determine my liability. (I've already reported the accident to them so chances are that will affect my insurance anyway, I'm not too fussed, my tax and insurance and car loan repayments cost a bomb anyway, I don't have any existing no claims bonus, and the sum involved is quite small so it's not like it will double my insurance or anything, all I have to do is get rid of being fully comp and I'll be paying what I paid last year)

Day three, brought in Eur400 as I figured it will save getting insurance company involved. She said she is no longer happy to try to settle without the insurance companies and asked for my insurance details (which she already has, but I'm sure she was trying to make a point).
    If she doesn't accept my offer by next Tuesday I will ask her to make her car available to the assessor in my insurance company to inspect the damage, I'll try to make the appointment next week. In the meantime I'll suggest to her she mightn't get anything at all because the disclaimer in the car park extends to employees (it doesn't), and that she increased her risk by parking inconsiderately (once again, complete rubbish). All further correspondence between parties will be in writing. She'll get the ball rolling about making a claim, etc. At some stage she might actually get her car repaired. And let's hope it doesn't drag out too long as I'll be out of the country by the 26th with an address in Tanzania (which of course I'll make her aware of). In other words, everything will be above board and official, it will just be pretty inconvenient and expensive for both of us and not very pleasant at all.

Though if she's happy to settle privately with one swift payment everything will be sorted before the weekends out. Ya know, too bad I didn't just drive off, but I'm too honest for that and I actually felt bad for causing the damage. And as everyone points out, it's her car, her decision, and she's entitled to deal with it however she pleases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tenchi-fan wrote:
    In the meantime I'll suggest to her she mightn't get anything at all because the disclaimer in the car park extends to employees (it doesn't), and that she increased her risk by parking inconsiderately (once again, complete rubbish).
    So you plan on lying?
    tenchi-fan wrote:
    Ya know, too bad I didn't just drive off, but I'm too honest for that and I actually felt bad for causing the damage.
    But you are honest.
    Im confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

kbannon wrote:
    So you plan on lying?
    It's not a lie, it's just a suggestion. I'm not exactly one to give out legal advice :confused: , for all I know it might be partially true. (Besides, it not like lawyers are honest either, little details like that are the technicalities they make their money from)
    kbannon wrote:
    But you are honest.
    Actually, I said I was too honest to just drive off. And I am generally pretty honest. I really do feel like this lady's just trying to teach me a lesson. First I offer to put it right, then she asks for more money AND a blank cheque if she's not happy (paying her money under these terms would not be a good idea).
    When I agree to the more money bit, she tells me she wants to go through insurance. I'm just trying to point out that it might be simpler for both of us if we meet half-way. I give her the Eur400 in full payment for the damage to her car, and we go our separate ways. Everyone's happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

tenchi-fan wrote:
    In the meantime I'll suggest to her she mightn't get anything at all because the disclaimer in the car park extends to employees...
    And that invalidates your insurance how exactly? At the end of the day she'll claim off your insurance as you seem to be giving her the royal run-around. That disclaimer is only in relation to the company's insurance policy, not yours or hers.
    tenchi-fan wrote:
    ...and that she increased her risk by parking inconsiderately (once again, complete rubbish).
    Quite right, it is complete rubbish. Unbelievable attitude. You're the one who smacked into her stationary and unoccupied car. Her fault obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Re: The €400 quote, and more if she's not happy.
    If she pays a body shop/panel beater €400 to repair her car and she's not happy with the results, it's the body shop she should go back to and demand a satisfactory job. I really can't see any repairer giving a quote saying " well I'll do four hundred quids worth of work on it and we'll see how it looks. Might need more though".

My €0.02 - You are to be applauded for owning up and making the effort to get this settled. Too many people would go park somewhere else and say nothing. But, once you decide to pay your dues, you are really at the mercy of the owner of the car you hit. €400 is not a lot of money for bodywork repairs nowadays and I think you should have taken out your cheque book as soon as she gave that quote, with the proviso in my first point.

And you being in Tanzania won't have any effect on her making a claim off your insurance. If they get a claim of even €1500 in your absence they'll most likely just stump up and the first you'll know about it is when you renew. Your insurance company do not have your best interests at heart.

If you have fully comp cover, check whether you have no claims protection or step-back on it. You may only lose a part of your no claims so it could even be worth claiming for repairs to both cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, fair play to you for your honesty.

It sounds to me like she had a bit of a think about things and has decided to try to profit from the incident.

If I were in your shoes I'd drag it out till just before the Tanzania trip, cancel my insurance and then tell her that she should have accepted your offer in the first place.

I was a victim of profiteering myself about this time 7 years ago and not many things vex me more.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

JHMEG wrote:
    If I were in your shoes I'd drag it out till just before the Tanzania trip, cancel my insurance and then tell her that she should have accepted your offer in the first place.

she would still be able to claim on his insurance even if the op took that mad advice.he was covered at the time of the accident.

hitting a parked car is basicaly the same as rear ending someone,more or less 100% in the wrong.

op should just pay the 400 and be done with it.

EDIT: the signs up in the carpark are only to take liability away from the owners of the carpark,not to take away liability for someone hitting a parked car.

p.s. fair play to the op for owning up to it,many wouldnt.

Advertisement