Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Router - Question

Options
  • 02-06-2007 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have Eircom Broadband in my home. However, we have another building on our property which is connected to the home phoneline but is not within range of the wireless network supplied by our router. If I were to buy a second router in example Argos, would this configure to my Eircom broadband subscription already existing on my phoneline, so I'd have two routers.... or would this work at all? if that makes any sense....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i think you can just get a repeater, or an AP that will extend the range. something like this maybe .http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170116752375&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

no need for another router. i don't even know if a router will do it, i never tried it.

you can't connect 2 DSL modems to one phoneline.. that will screw things up altogether
    if you can't extend the range of your wireless maybe you can use the powerlines. you can get kits for 100 eur or so you plug one into a socket, have a cable to your router from it. another one in your other house and you plug the computer into that. should work unless they both have a separate power line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Thanks, that looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though an extension ethernet cable is better. Up to 100m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

You could use the second router if you switch off the first and vice versa...i.e. only use one router at at time...As a matter of interest How far is the second building from the first..?

Advertisement